Who should take our penalties? - Is owen reliable enough?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby long sleeved joe » Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:05 pm

ynwa wrote:Carragher has not missed a pen yet even if they where in the shoot out in the cup

has Carragher taken more than the one penalty against Birmingham?
"If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden i'd draw the curtains" Bill Shankly
long sleeved joe

Postby Scottbot » Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:27 pm

Gerrard should take the kicks - As captain i wish he would demand to take them. GH should grow the balls to give the job to somebody else. Is he worried Michael won't sign another contract if he can't take the penalities? I can't think of any other reason for persisting with MO for spot kicks.

Surely not Carragher for penalties? Seems a bit like asking David Batty to take one!
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:02 am

Those of you who suggest Hamann don't you remember the worthington cup final?

The fear on his face... the only red to miss.
115-1073096938

Postby Owzat » Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:02 pm

Generally good free-kick takers make good penalty takers, depends whether you class Hamann as a decent free-kick taker

Shearer
Zidane
Beckham
Van Hooijdonk
Henry
etc
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:30 pm

Murphy is the only natural penalty taker we have, although he's hardly John Aldridge.

Michael Owen has the temperment for penalties but he doesn't strike a ball that cleanly.

Kewell has the arrogance and strikes a ball sweatly, but he could put a few in the stand as well.

Gerrard would just blast them as hard as he can. If you blast it and keep it low and on target, its very difficult for a keeper to save unless he gets it in the middrift, chest or thighs.

Hamman would also blast it, as would Riise, although Riise is no longer a first teamer and I could see him fluffing a few.

Cheyrou strikes the ball very well, but I could see him curling up and dying if he missed!

As for Carragher....Gareth Southgate anybody? Carragher is not a penalty taker. He would be a real "hit it straight down the middle and hope the keeper dives the wrong way kind of guy".

I don't think we currently have the luxury of great penalty takers.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby greenred » Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:36 pm

whats Jan Molby doing these days?
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ROBtheRED » Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:10 pm

1. Murphy
2. Gerrard
3. Riise
4. Owen
5. Baros
"The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the kop make you feel great. . .yet humble."   Mr B.Shankly
ROBtheRED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion