Penalties - Stupid not to practice

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Big Niall » Wed May 25, 2005 11:20 am

I think we all agree that A BIT of practice is a good thing. Obviously it will only be a small part as odds are that it will not go that far.

If it did I'd leave anyone who scored against Birmingham take one (although much more pressure now).
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Jan Cuelemans » Wed May 25, 2005 2:53 pm

Penalties are all about mind set rather than technique as Alan Shearer said to a young Micheal Owen when asked where to to put the ball during the shot out against the Argies " In the f**king goal lad".
The ofton underrated, Belgium Internalional Superstar !
Jan Cuelemans

Postby banana » Wed May 25, 2005 2:58 pm

I am happy.

Since Benitez doesn't want to practice penalties it is a very good sign.

Why?

Because it shows he is not afraid of doing what he thinks BEST. If he was afraid and wanted to protect himself and cover his back. He would definately practice penalties. Then if the game was decided in a shoot out. His back would have been covered. And he did not have to be afraid of criticism.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby LiverpoolFan00 » Wed May 25, 2005 3:03 pm

I don't know would practising penalties be of much use. All of the players can probably stick one in the net in training. But you can't replicate the pressure of taking one in a champions league final no matter how much you practise. I think a lot of it comes down to bottle
Some people think football is a matter of life or death but it's far more important than that. - Bill Shankley

A Well Balanced Soccer Player Has A Beer In Each Hand!
LiverpoolFan00
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Wed May 25, 2005 4:15 pm

some aren't convinced but what harm would it do. Don't make me repeat the golfer 3 foot putt thing again (damn, just have), a short putt is simple so why practice it in training?

If you were asked to do something under pressure, would you prefer to do something you know how to do or something you've never done before.

Why do people miss penalties in games when they are 3-0 up or in training if it is ALL about bottle.

It is part bottle and part technique, how much of each is debateable but to say it is all bottle and none technique is idiotic.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby cheesecake » Wed May 25, 2005 10:16 pm

I hope not practising penalties was not a mistake
cheesecake

Postby siti_zaiton1982 » Wed May 25, 2005 11:11 pm

we did not practised the penalties yet we won it.Anchelotti claimed he made his players practised penalties yet they lost it.unbelievable.dun think i can go back to bed.
siti_zaiton1982
LFC Super Member

Postby lfclfclfc » Thu May 26, 2005 2:35 am

must admit i was one skeptical one when rafa explained his 'no-penalty practice' policy. but what more can i say? :) its the BIG hearts :hearts that win shootouts.  :bowdown
lfclfclfc

Postby A.B. » Thu May 26, 2005 2:40 am

Milan practiced penalties and missed three, it seems that practicing is quite stupid! :D
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Thu May 26, 2005 2:42 am

A.B. wrote:Milan practiced penalties and missed three, it seems that practicing is quite stupid! :D

and for goalies practicing a wiggle is a must :D
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Thu May 26, 2005 3:50 am

I think that it has more to do with the nerves and pressure as the overwhelming favourite added to their dissappointment of having conceded 3 goals after being 3-up.

Serginho's balooned effort being the very first did not do much to dampen their nerves, followed by a cool goal by Liverpool's first taker, Hamann (wasn't it? my memory is slipping as I have not been sleeping after the match - it started at 2:45 a.m. Malaysian tiome and ended some 5:45 a.m.).

I believe these got to their head more than Dudek's antics. But the pressure on Schevchenko must be absolutely huge as he needed to score to keep them alive.

Well done lads...! Brilliant tactical switch by Rafa after discovering that his earlier gamble was a total disaster.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Thu May 26, 2005 3:56 am

The Canadian Red Army wrote:
A.B. wrote:Milan practiced penalties and missed three, it seems that practicing is quite stupid! :D

and for goalies practicing a wiggle is a must :D

I guarantee Dudek watched videos or was at least told of Brucey Grobbelaar in '84.  :D
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Thu May 26, 2005 9:37 am

Dudek was excellent, not just the saves but for each one he walked right up to the striker to give him the ball, looked him right in the eye and looked confident. Didi looked nervous in goal.

Dudek MUST have seen Bruce's antics and did a tribute to him.

UNBELIEVABLE.

And well done to Alonso who missed a penalty but still stayed alert enough to get the rebound and still had the balls to take one in the shoot out.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Thu May 26, 2005 11:34 am

Alonso didn't take one in the shoot out? ???

It was Hamann, Cisse, Riise, Smicer and Gerrard woud have been last if needed.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Thu May 26, 2005 1:55 pm

Too much beer or emotions, I thought Alonso had scored in the shootout, old age must be kicking in. :D
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion