Penalties - Stupid not to practice

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby taff » Mon May 23, 2005 1:37 pm

Hypia and Carragher.

Not my first choice to be honest.  I also wouldnt have Garcia in charge of positioning at corners.

Ciise
Finnan
Alonso
Garcia
Riise
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon May 23, 2005 1:39 pm

Carraghers had two and put them both in the top corner and gave the goalkeepers no chance.

He's a better shout than Hamann (who bottles it) Alonso (whose dead balls are poor) and Luis Garcia (another who can't hit a dead ball).

Mind you, they say football fans have short memories... ???
Last edited by 115-1073096938 on Mon May 23, 2005 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
115-1073096938

Postby stmichael » Mon May 23, 2005 2:02 pm

It really depends who's on the pitch but I'd probably go for something like this.

Gerrard
Riise
Alonso
Carragher
Finnan
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby taff » Mon May 23, 2005 2:07 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Mind you, they say football fans have short memories... ???

Do you know where I put my keys by the way  :rasp

Ill concede this point then, but apart from Phil Neal, remember him, Im always nervous watching defenders take pens.

Hypia, no
JC Ok your right  :)

And Gerrard, didnt he say he didnt want to take them.
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Mon May 23, 2005 4:59 pm

I always think full backs take good penos, Phil Neal and Denis Irwin were excellent as was Ashley Cole at the weekend.

I know there is no logic behind it and it is just a bit of fun but I prefer full backs to take them than Centre Backs (Stuart Pearse, Stam , Southgate etc)
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon May 23, 2005 10:04 pm

Carragher
Finnan
Cisse
Riise
Hyypia
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby A.B. » Mon May 23, 2005 10:05 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Carraghers had two and put them both in the top corner and gave the goalkeepers no chance.

He's a better shout than Hamann (who bottles it) Alonso (whose dead balls are poor) and Luis Garcia (another who can't hit a dead ball).

Mind you, they say football fans have short memories... ???

If Alonso's dead balls are poor why did you pick him?
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby dawson99 » Mon May 23, 2005 10:22 pm

no point practising penalies. scoring in training is slightly different to scoring in a champions league final with million watching on tv and the possibility of getting back into the competetion next year... we njust need people with the most confidence to take them...so:

1: Cisse
2: Risse
3: Garcia
4: Gerrard
5: Alonso

Well thats what i think anyways
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Tue May 24, 2005 11:45 am

The thread is about practising penalties not about who should take them (although I did put forward suggestions)

I still think it insane that Dawson and others think there is no point in practicing as no pressure in training and loads in final.

I'll repeat myself - why do golfers practice 3 foot puts.
If one of you peno sceptics can answer that then I'd be very grateful. Come on.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue May 24, 2005 11:51 am

nial.
htere is a use in practising, but not overly practising. A player earning around 30k - 80k should be able to smack the ball from 10 yards. Its more up to dudek to pactice saving them and watching tapes of milan players so he has a vague idea of what to do.

We have a lot more to worry about at the moment than taking penalties. Maybe take a couple each after 'proper' training to wind down
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Tue May 24, 2005 12:41 pm

Have you ever seen a goalie miss a penalty?  I haven't, so I say the Dude should take all five!

:;):
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby stapo1000 » Tue May 24, 2005 1:12 pm

Alan Kennedywas interviewed on champions league magazine last night about his winning penalty in 84. He said they'd practised the week before and that the team was rubbish and he hemself was the worst but we still won the shoot-out. I do think we should practise pens at least once but i'm not gonna doubt rafa
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Tue May 24, 2005 3:39 pm

Phil Neal was a super penalty taker (with such simplicity the european cup surely is won).  Ray Stewart of West Ham was another full back who doubled up as an ace spot kicker back in the early '80's.  My favourite penalty taker was Jan Molby.  The ball used to be in the net before the keeper got a chance to dive.  In the mid '80's he scored three spotters in one game (think it were against Coventry but could be wrong) and he has scored more penalties than any other Liverpool player.

I thought Arsenal's kicks last Saturday were fantastic.  They were struck with confidence by players who had obviously practiced and knew exactly where they wanted them placed.

Often a little luck is required to win a shoot out.  Remember Italia '90 when Ireland defeated Romania on spotters.  Tony Cascarino took one of the weakest penalties ever.  He kicked the ground just before he struck the ball but was lucky that the keeper had dived before the shot was taken and Cascarino scored.

My five would be....Alonzo, Carra (scored a cracker against Birmingham in 2001 worthington cup final), Cisse, Riise (although normally I don't trust left footers when it comes to spotters) and Gerrard.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby azriahmad » Wed May 25, 2005 3:40 am

It is not just luck but nerves also for the taker. It can be so intimidating as the burden of missing has the potential to undo so much hard work your teams have put into, so it is much more of a burden for the taker than the 'keeper.

Still, I think Rafa is just playing some mind games with Milan by indicating that perhaps the game will not go on to penalties. Rafa is known for his detailed approach to the game and surely, there must have been some penalty taking sessions during training.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bRy » Wed May 25, 2005 9:48 am

I know when I'm at football training, which I have to be at in just under 2 hours, I always ask people to take them at the end of the session (I'm a keeper) for a bit of fun. Good practice for me and also them. Normally if there are enough at training everyone joins in and it's the last person standing etc.

Earlier this year in a pre-season cup we went to penalties in the final and I scored the winner as well as saving one and having one of their guys blast it over the bar. When I hit the winning penalty I changed my mind a couple of times but fortunately struck it well enough to beat the keeper. A major factor in me scoring was probably just the belief that I would score and having confidence to put my hand up.

People can usually smell fear i the way they can detect confidence. It will be a case of recognising someone's fear and exploiting it
ie if you're the keeper and you sense nervousness, stare the player down and maintain eye contact as long as possible. If they're good enough they'll score, if not they usually bottle it
bRy

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion