Steve finnan - Mr. reliable

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Dundalk » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:20 am

Mr Reliable or the biggest Matt Damon lookalike you are ever going to see. At the end of the day Steve Finnan is one of the most important players Liverpool have in their squad at the moment.

This guy is irreplaceable in his position, for me he is the Denis Irwin that united had during the 90s, he never seems to be noticed but he always does a solid job. In the last season and the start of this one his work rate has been phenomenal and his cause for the team is second to none.

His link up play with the right midfielder is fantastic no matter if it is Pennant or Gerrard he always seems to click and plays a lot of  one twos and still receives the ball and still manages to create a cross from the top drawer.

IMHO he is very underestimated not by Liverpool fans but by the normal football fan. Maybe because we dont hear from him an awful lot, but believe you me he is the best right back in the country and apart from pool fans he dosent get the recognision he deserves
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:25 am

I agree there mate, I think I said in the match thread that Finnan's purchase to Liverpool is probably one of the most astute transfer buys in Premiership history, when considering the price we paid and the amount of games played at a very high and consistent standard.
66-1112520797

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:29 am

I love Finnan to bits, for me he is the guy who does the job and expects nothing in return. Top class player.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby weringo » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:33 am

Very solid defensively and useful going forward, one of Houllier's best buys. Just a shame that Steve is the wrong side of 30.
weringo
LFC Super Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:47 am

I think he's got a good 3 or 4 years left in the tank. It's not like he relies on pace, and he certainly seems to maintain the same standards every season.

Great player, great buy, and, by all accounts, a great man, too.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:05 am

He should have Lando, he still looks pretty solid and dosent really suffer from injury so should be good for a few more years yet
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:29 am

"The Finnan Identity" haha

No in all seriosuness hes never put a foot in wrong. I admit I wasnt over the moon when we signed him but as you say hes mr reliable. Hes also a really good crosser of the ball. His cross for Garcias goal against anderlecht remains one of the best ive seen in a while. :D
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:04 am

Like Bav I didn't expect much when we signed him and it was only really when we played Juventus at home that I really started to wake up and realise what a good player he really was.
account deleted by request

Postby Sabre » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:07 am

Maybe irreplaceable is too strong word for my liking, but definitely he deserves the credit you're giving him and he's worth this club.

He's a good RB in times in which it's difficult to find good L/R backs, it was indeed a great buy. Yesterday Bad Bob asked with the tongue in cheek if the "togetherness" we're watching as of late is the result of Bellamy's departure. It is not. It is men like Finnan and others playing together many seasons, instead of becoming mad because we have more money and start buying randomly.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:11 am

Bamaga man wrote:I agree there mate, I think I said in the match thread that Finnan's purchase to Liverpool is probably one of the most astute transfer buys in Premiership history, when considering the price we paid and the amount of games played at a very high and consistent standard.

A good bit of credit due to Ged for that one.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:55 am

Scottbot wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:I agree there mate, I think I said in the match thread that Finnan's purchase to Liverpool is probably one of the most astute transfer buys in Premiership history, when considering the price we paid and the amount of games played at a very high and consistent standard.

A good bit of credit due to Ged for that one.

Yes credit to Houllier there for that one.

I also agree with Sabre that instead of spending 'randomly' in the transfer market and finding it difficult to gel a team together, you need players like Finnan, Carra and Gerrard who would surely provide 'togetherness' on and off the pitch. Also they'd provide stability and understanding amongst their teamates if rotation doesnt take over  :;): .

Players like Finnan and Carra a rare commodity amongst footballers these day (top flight especially). Where they seem able to stay out of the media limelight, get their heads down and play an exceptionally high level of football every week.
We should be grateful for Finnan and the likes, I think Finnan has got a few years left in him. But I wouldnt look forward to replacing him in the future with an unknown player or a hyped up one because I doubt they could give the consistent high level of football the Irish man does.
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby burjennio » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:22 am

He has been an outstanding purchase for LFC, he imo is the most balanced right back in the world, equally adapt at defending as well as going forward

A friend of mine said to me about 3 or 4 years ago  "We'll never win the title with players like Steve Finnan in the side" when I asked him to name 2 better right backs in world football he came up with, as a Liverpool supporter, Gary Neville and Michel Salgado, he was then slapped, three stooges style, while any respect I had for him disappeared
burjennio

Postby MightyLFC » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:44 am

He is one of the most important player in the liverpool squad not talked about alot but brilliant.
Finnan was a brillaint buy he plays week in week out and a strong defender.
MightyLFC

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion