Steven gerrard...... - What is it about him?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:17 am

bigmick wrote:
Sir Roger wrote:Gerrard had a stinker last night

I've no doubts that you are right mate. If you play two players in the centre of midfield who aren't up to the job of distributing the football to the players who play up front, the aforementioned strikers won't function.

Coincidently, Torres who has been setting the World on fire was quiet as well. Funnily enough, both him and Gerrard were also quiet in the first three league games as well. Some players do their best work off the ball, but players need to have it in order to win you football matches.

Aurelio/Lucas was never going to work. I know people will accuse me of speaking after the event but that's up to them, the selection was bonkers.

Normally I don't answer your posts that start with I haven't seen any of the game, and followed by something discussed to dead ages ago, but it seems that by now you have watched the game so we may discuss the game now rather than bringing old discussions and make points that have been done to death.

After adding the Aurelio selection in midfield to the famous Rafa mistakes list (which will be probably listed with other famous mistakes like Skrtel in RB or Crouch in the left, as the decissions that define Rafa's selections), and after admitting myself it was a mistake yesterday, I wanted to ask you, in your opinion, why in the second half it was less of a mess than in the first half?

One reason is of course Fiore's intensity was lower, but was there any other reason?

It's a footie question.
Last edited by Sabre on Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:45 am

Sorry Sabes still haven't seen it so I can't give you an answer :D. I suspect though that from reading Rafa's interviews after the match, he probably went absolutely ballistic at half time which more than likely perked everyone up a bit. That and the general consensus that they fairly naturally sat on their two goal cushion probably explains it, but like I say I don't know.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:08 am

bigmick wrote:Sorry Sabes still haven't seen it so I can't give you an answer :D. I suspect though that from reading Rafa's interviews after the match, he probably went absolutely ballistic at half time which more than likely perked everyone up a bit. That and the general consensus that they fairly naturally sat on their two goal cushion probably explains it, but like I say I don't know.

I was having a go at you because I appreciate your football opinions. But come on Mick, not watching the game and remember the game at Pompey made my head in. I was one of the posters that thought that in THAT game it worked, and yes, that was a difficult game in which Liverpool had a bad day, but Aurelio fulfilled his work ok. I'm all for you giving stick after watching a game and I enjoy reading that football stick, I just found unfair how you brought that game in the discussion!

Yesterday it was a total mess. Some of it due to Aurelio not knowing what to do and some of it because we were truly nervous when getting the ball out of the back.

And that was Rafa's responsability. No Parry's, no Gerrard's, no the Yank's. It was a mistake, and I think the base of the mistake was Joeterp's suggestion that we may have understimated Fiore. Certainly Rafa seemed to do so. It's not a problem for me to admit Rafa got it wrong yesterday, but I have problems to admit that kind of mistakes are the ones which sum up his selection policies.

Aurelio can play CM. He's a LB of course and I was fan of Aurelio's LB football years before coming here. But it's my opinion that he can do the job better than Carra or Aurelio IN CASE that we desperately need it due to injuries.

But I agree that having the option of playing Gerrard in CM, choosing Aurelio is a mistake. But if I had to choose between Aurelio, Carra, or yesteryear's Arbeloa option, then I'd pick Aurelio.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:42 am

Its good that you admit Rafa was wrong
Any idea why Rieara wasnt played?
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:03 pm

Sir Roger wrote:Any idea why Rieara wasnt played?

apparently he didn't want to play out of protest at the club spelling his name wrong on the back of his shirt.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:07 pm

:D excellent
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby Sir Roger » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:22 pm

stmichael wrote:
Sir Roger wrote:Any idea why Rieara wasnt played?

apparently he didn't want to play out of protest at the club spelling his name wrong on the back of his shirt.

What a prikc !
No wonder we got fukced by fierentina

:nod
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:19 pm

bigmick wrote:Since you've picked me up on it, I'll concede "twice the player" is impossible to quantify and in any case may be overstating it. Fowler was a wonderful player (one of my favourites) but I stick to my reasoning that Gerrard is on a different plane. He is comparable only to Dalgish and Sounness IMHo in terms of the quality he brings to the team, and increasingly I'm coming around to the idea that he is the best player who has ever worn the shirt.

have always stressed that Alonso was the key to making Gerrard/ Torres partnership work... neither Masch/ Lucas nor Lucas/ Aurelio will make it work... we need someone who has similar play making abilities to Xabi... hopefully Aquilani is that someone...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:08 pm

bigmick wrote:

I've no doubts that you are right mate. If you play two players in the centre of midfield who aren't up to the job of distributing the football to the players who play up front, the aforementioned strikers won't function.

Coincidently, Torres who has been setting the World on fire was quiet as well. Funnily enough, both him and Gerrard were also quiet in the first three league games as well. Some players do their best work off the ball, but players need to have it in order to win you football matches.

Aurelio/Lucas was never going to work. I know people will accuse me of speaking after the event but that's up to them, the selection was bonkers.

Gerrard gave the ball away but thats other players fault  ???
Gerrard was pedestrian in the 1st half but that is down to other players ???
Torres and Gerrard have indifferent games etc and it's because of other players ???

:sleep
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby bigmick » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:03 pm

supersub wrote:
bigmick wrote:

Gerrard gave the ball away but thats other players fault  ???
Gerrard was pedestrian in the 1st half but that is down to other players ???
Torres and Gerrard have indifferent games etc and it's because of other players ???

:sleep

No you're right. They both operate entirely independently of what goes on around them. That they were well below par in the first three games of the season and well below par by all accounts against Fiorentina, is entirely coincidental. It has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with who was playing in central midfield, I don't know why I even brought it up.

Lucas/Masherano is fine, as is Lucas/Aurelio. Gerrard and Torres should still be able to have a massive influence on the game regardless of who is playing there. Alonso not being in there is irrelevent to our much vaunted front two. If they don't still dominate the match they shouldn't use the fact that they aren't getting the ball in the right places at the right times as an excuse.

You're on the money and thanks for pointing it out that I was talking b0ll0cks. Infact, they are both sh!t.

Do you think Skrtel will be in with a shout for player of the season this term like he was last BTW? Now there's a player if ever I've seen one  :) .
Last edited by bigmick on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:17 pm

Edit
Last edited by Dundalk on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:52 pm

bigmick wrote:No you're right. They both operate entirely independently of what goes on around them. That they were well below par in the first three games of the season and well below par by all accounts against Fiorentina, is entirely coincidental. It has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with who was playing in central midfield, I don't know why I even brought it up.

Lucas/Masherano is fine, as is Lucas/Aurelio. Gerrard and Torres should still be able to have a massive influence on the game regardless of who is playing there. Alonso not being in there is irrelevent to our much vaunted front two. If they don't still dominate the match they shouldn't use the fact that they aren't getting the ball in the right places at the right times as an excuse.

You're on the money and thanks for pointing it out that I was talking b0ll0cks. Infact, they are both sh!t.

Do you think Skrtel will be in with a shout for player of the season this term like he was last BTW? Now there's a player if ever I've seen one  :) .

Once again you go on a stupid little rant because you assume Torres and Gerrard can do no wrong.All problems are down to everyone else.
I never said Torres and Gerrard were sh.it. I just think they are as human as the rest of the players and can have bad games and make mistakes. Some of us notice it others just blame rafa,lucas ,kuyt and what ever is the flavour of the month.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby bigmick » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:07 pm

"A stupid little rant"?  :laugh: .

I think I'll leave it there thanks :talktothehand .
Last edited by bigmick on Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:12 pm

bigmick wrote:"A stupid little rant"?  :talktothehand.

I think I'll leave it there thanks :laugh:.

Looks like you are wearing "Harry Potter's invisibility cloak" yo.You posted without appearing to be logged in.... :laugh:
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby bigmick » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:06 pm

I find it works better that way. When you're stalked by as many nutters and numpties as I am you have to come in under the radar a bit :laugh:.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion