Optimism is the key

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:13 pm

Fernando Morientes has spoken out about football life on Merseyside and although he admits it will take him time to settle, he's already fallen in love with his new club and the fans. 

Morientes has yet to play on a winning side for Liverpool, having followed up a home debut loss against Manchester United with another defeat at the hands of Harry Redknapp's Southampton, but he believes that both he and the team will still come good this season.

"I am finding it hard to adapt but I am better now," he said. "It's surprising when you see things you are not used to, such as training without any fans or without the press watching. I am starting to get to know things, my wife is looking for a house and a school for the kids and things are falling into place.

"I love the training ground and of course Anfield - it's true there is a certain magic before, during and after a game. They are new things that attract your attention. I have the advantage that [Rafa] Benitez speaks English well, at least that's how it seems to me. I can understand everything and that is a relief.

"This club is a lot calmer than Real Madrid, where everything gets magnified, and the people in the street are calm. They stop you, but they are very polite and that is good for a footballer. We are a historic club and fifth in the table but that is not a problem. The confidence that you get given here is incredible. When you sign a coach like Benitez it is to let him work with a long-term view and that is what is happening."
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion