Optimism: Looking at the positives..

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby aCe' » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:17 pm

Tough start to the season with a lot of negatives to learn from. Not on this thread though. Almost every thread has becomes about the failures of the team, the players, the transfers, the manager, the previous manager(s), the owners, Ayre, Comolli...etc  Not this thread. There are quite a few who have been trying to outlines the different positives we can take from all that has been happening at the club. I havent been one of them, but I do feel some of the points being made are valid but are currently being drowned in the sea of negativity surrounding the forum. I'll kick things off.

Raheem Sterling
Probably the highlight of our season so far. At 17, he has taken his chance in the first team admirably and looks like a star in the making. Plays with confidence and energy and his direct approach seems to suit our style of play well. I have no doubt that he will improve as the season progresses and I truly hope that the club and Rodgers can protect his development so early on in his career because playing 200+minutes in a week surely wont help.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:26 pm

Joe Allen

A midfielder may not have been top of the priority list, but this guy has looked really good since signing. Always eager to get on the ball. Yes he plays it simply, but sometims that is a great thing as he always offers himself as an option and helps the movement and flow. Not scared of a tackle either. Not cheap, but looks a good buy- and he's ony 22.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boxscarf » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:48 pm

Jonjo Shelvey!

I didn't really expect much from Jonjo when he signed from Charlton a couple of years ago for a small transfer fee, but he has come leaps and bounds, I started to notice him last season and he seems to be making steady improvements. I was impressed with him against Man City, his passing, his positional play, his awareness of what's going on around him and his desire to make things happen with a football. He's only 20, so has years of growth in him and I hope he enjoys the best years of his career here. He's a fantastic youngster.
Boxscarf

Postby Penguins » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:57 pm

Sterling derseves praise.
Come in at a dark time and brought spark, hunger and energy into the team. Not to mention hope for the future.
Only 17 years of age makes it quite a feat.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby The Hustler » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:09 pm

Yeah, lets burn Sterling out before he reaches 19, making him play v hearts + also 90 mins v Man city + Arsenal.

That smells of desperation to me.
To me its Rodgers saying...." ive run out of ideas , so ill throw this lad in at the deep end."

he is a talent, but is it neccessary to leave him on the pitch for 90 mins? I didn't think so.

Thats how I see it.
Last edited by The Hustler on Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Hustler
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Redman in wales » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:12 pm

The Hustler » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:09 pm wrote:Yeah, lets burn Sterling out before he reaches 19, making him play v hearts + also 90 mins v Man city + Arsenal.

That smells of desperation to me.
To me its Rodgers saying...." ive run out of ideas , so ill throw this lad in at the deep end."

Thats how I see it.

wrong thread mate - this one's for people to talk about positives....
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Hustler » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:27 pm

That was positive. It was constructive criticism.
The Hustler
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Redman in wales » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:38 pm

The Hustler » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:09 pm wrote:Yeah, he's had a good start, but we must be careful not to let him burn out before he reaches 19.

He has been one of our best players so is in the team on merit - his performances have earnt him the place in the side, but is it neccessary to leave him on the pitch for 90 mins? I'm not so sure. If he has to start, why not bring him off on 60, or bring him on off the bench on 60mins as an impact sub

there, i changed it so it is actually constructive   :;):

Ps i very much doubt it was like rodgers has run out of ideas... most people would agree he's been one of our best players. he's in the team on merit
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Hustler » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:51 pm

Cheers Dad, I may ask you to write my future posts for me. :eyebrow

when I say run out of ideas, i meant it look like he was in "panic mode" by throwing the lad in at the deep end.

Normally, youngens start from the bench. He played him Thursday V Hearts, then on the Sunday etc.
The Hustler
LFC Advanced Member

Postby metalhead » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:20 pm

I'd say Allen and Sterling are the only positives right now
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:23 pm

Further positives; we have Rush, Fowler and Aldo at most of our games. If BR had some humility, he could ask these three legends to help out our inept strikeforce through coaching and mentoring.
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby dundreamin » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:24 pm

Here's construtive criticism we are s.*i*e FACT
dundreamin
LFC Super Member

Location: skelmersdale. Land of the roundabouts and utter boredom

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:48 pm

metalhead » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:20 pm wrote:I'd say Allen and Sterling are the only positives right now

throw shelvey in there MH and id agree wholeheartedly :nod .
he's been fantastic and deserves every minute he has on the pitch this season.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby The Hustler » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:37 pm

At least we are in the bottom three currently, with a -5 goal difference, below villa. Lol
Theres an optimistic fact for you
The Hustler
LFC Advanced Member

Postby killerp » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:49 pm

We played better football than I have seen in years In terms of passing, possession, closing down etc.. 

Stirling, Allen & Shelvey look good. Allen really looks like he could become worldclass.

Sahin played neat & tidy, didn't make many mistakes.

Now the positives are done onto the moaning thread......... :down:
killerp

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion