THE OPTIMISM THREAD - things aint so bad afterall

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 66-1120597113 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:31 am

stmichael wrote:Some people's lack of intelligence on here is beyond belief. "We haven't signed him, get rid of the board and the manager." For crying out loud get a grip.  :no

Simao is the latest in a line of disapointing non-signings this summer. But I think we should all just relax and breathe for a minute or two. Yes it is frustrating that we havent signed any big players this summer. But i dont think its right to lay all the blame at the feet of Rafa and the board.

Last week Rafa said that as soon as we emerge as wanting to sign a player, that player has a price hike. This isnt our fault. Figo was all set to leave Real Madrid on a free. We pop into the equation and all of a sudden he has a £2m price tag on his bonce. Now Real were well within there rights to do that, after all he was under contract with them. But its not exactly sporting is it. Yes we could of paid it, but why should we when until we say we might want him hes free?

Gonzalez, we sign him and he is refused a work permit. Not the fault of LFC.

Owen, we tried to get him, but Real Madrid had an offer for twice as much as we were offering, and why should we pay twice as much for him as we got for him 12 months ago.

Simao, well we all know whats happened here. Last minute Benfica up the price. Again not exactly sporting is it.

SWP, I dont know if we ever did put a bid in for him. I know most of us on here wanted him tho. But as soon as Chavski offered £21m we all knew that there was no point. Hes just not worth that much.

I know there will be some that will say for gods sake just pay what the club are asking to get the player. But if we do it once then it will hapen all the time. And we dont want to get the reputation of the club that will pay any price for anyone. Thats Chavskis role.

I for one think we have been treated harshly this transfer window. By we, i mean LFC, not just the fans. At every turn it seems we have been cheated screwed and shafted up the wrong un one way or another.

I fail to subscribe to the theory that its all doom and gloom for us next season. We have one of the best managers in the world. Despite what some, well infact most, are saying. I dont think we will struggle for goals this season. Despite what some might say I think Cisse will get a hatfull this term. Whats his record so far? 5 in 7? Some may say "but its against micky mouse oposition" to which i reply. Well you can only beat whats in front of you. It dosent mean when he comes up against an arsenal or chavski he wont score. CSKA Moscow are the UEFA cup holders, and they dont give that away free with special packs of coco pops. Aside from Cisse we have Mori, sooner or later he just HAS to start scoring. He simply has to much ability not to. Plus we have Crouch, 6 month wonder some say. Maybe, but i will be surprised if he isnt in double figures at the end of the season. OR at the very least, close to it. Gerrard, well we all know he is going to be well into doube figures. Garcia will more than likely get a few, as will Alonso, hamman, riise, Sissoko. We have a squad of players that CAN score goals. Does it matter where they come from? as long as it hits the back of the net does it matter who scores them!

Even if all you doom mongerers are proved right and we do end up having a problem scoring goals. Look at our defence. Carra and Sami. 2 of the best in the business. Traore, VASTLY improved last season, and hopefully will get better again this year. Finnan, the almost forgotten one. Warnock, got his call up to the england squad, so cant be all that bad. Zak Whitbread, a real starlet. In front of them. Mr Consistent Hamman, and Alonso, plus Sissoko who seems to play just about anywhere.

Do we really have BIG problems in our squad?

Remember we are European Champions. The biggest and most prestigious title any club can win.
We still have the same manager and largely the same players that won us that title back in May.

Doom and gloom. A season of heartache and struggle ahead.
Not likley!!

WE ARE LIVERPOOL FC. EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS! :buttrock

Good post St Michael and nice to wake up to some optomism!
Some pri.cks on here over the last few days have highlighted major lack of football knowledge and ignorance! And also made it clear that  some people on here are as much fans of our club  as i am the next pope.It's been repulsive to read  the criticism of Benitez and  to call for  Parry  to be sacked!Fuc.cking pathetic little children!
These people will not be happy  unless our club are spending  megabucks on individuals  with big names!
Personally i think our club  should be  respected  for not being held  to ransom because certain clubs think we  are desperate for players!
It's not long  till January and Im sure we'll do fine until then!We have got  a  more than capable squad  of  holding our own and nothing to be negative about atal!
YNWA
66-1120597113

Postby Judge » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:25 am

i was somewhat dissapointed when the rumour thread closed, but i can see why stmike did it.

you are very shrewd mate.

yes, lets be optimistic

ynwa :)
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:29 am

It's not doom and gloom but every position looks good apart from the RW and Nando/Crouch are the type of players that need crosses :(

Regards the CB position I think it's covered fine, JC and SH will be first choice obviously but JT, ZW and Josemi can also offer cover so I think we saved some money well there. :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:33 am

oOShrimpyOo wrote:sounds good to me, and i for one will be very happy with that. But as you may have already guessed some people on here are not as easily satisfied.

back to good old houllier days then  ???
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:55 am

St Mike supporting LFC we should always be optimistic and try not to moan, negativity does nobody any good.
But lets be realistic at least, Rafa has stated all summer that we NEED a RM to maximise the potential of Nando and Crouch 2/3 of our attacking options or 1/2 if you include Pongo.
I totally agree that we shouldnt be held to ransom or pay over the odds...but the fact of the matter is, we had 3 months to sign 1 important player...it didnt have to be a big name, just someone to provide width and crosses from the right. Someone failed, Parry ? Rafa ?
Either they got wrapped up in the MO saga and failed to spend enough time making proper offers for the RM or simply there was no player Rafa actually wanted.
To leave it until the last day was imo a bit clumsy, Solano we could of secured for about 2 million...in the short term that would of been great business.
I am still optimistic and know we have a midfield that can and will score plenty of goals, but the fact of the matter is the position that rafa has wanted a player brought in ALL SUMMER has not materialised and for the Champions league holders to struggle to attract ageing Aston Villa or Bolton players...is baffling and to an extent worrying.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:39 am

yer i am optimistic about the future of the club, but wat sum person said sayin that being 4th and having 'a gud run in the cups' is NOT optimistic. in my opinion that is a losers philosophy and LFC are better than that.

This season, i want a marked improvement in the premiership(i'm a realist), challenge strongly for the cl again and bring through the kids in th other cup competitions to give them competitive experience.

Remember, wat one man said, 'We've had the bad times, one year we came second!' Rafa is bringing that philosophy back.

This can only be good for the club.
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:43 am

I posted this somewhere else... but positive threads...

It is disappointing, BUT.. and it is a big BUT.. I think the squad we have now is better than the squad that WON the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE. 

The premiership was tough with us last year, injuries decimated our squad, Steven Gerrard appeared to be looking down South and we had a number of players that had never experienced the speed and strength of tackle in the Premiership.

This year, Stevie is focussed
Alonso, Garcia and Josemi  know what to expect on a windy, rainy Sat afternoon in Birmingham
We should (fingers crossed) not have as much bad luck with injuries
and we have improved certain areas... Sissoko looks good, Reina I believe is a better keeper than Dudek
and Crouch gives us a different option.

Things are not that bad... come on boys and girls, lets get behind OUR team, OUR club.  We definately need the famous 12th man (as Delia would say)..  Lets look forward to another season where we improve,

Even with Owen, Figo, Simeon (?) we where not going to win the leadue this year.  It is going to take a couple more seasons of gradual improvement.  Lets hope this year we end up only 12 points behind the champions, that for me will be a good year!

YNWA
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby siti_zaiton1982 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:00 pm

a positive post i must say.hopefully,Carra and Hyypia can cope with the amount of matches they going to play.
siti_zaiton1982
LFC Super Member

Postby PhiLFC » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:17 pm

Ola Mr Benitez wrote:I posted this somewhere else... but positive threads...

It is disappointing, BUT.. and it is a big BUT.. I think the squad we have now is better than the squad that WON the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE. 

The premiership was tough with us last year, injuries decimated our squad, Steven Gerrard appeared to be looking down South and we had a number of players that had never experienced the speed and strength of tackle in the Premiership.

This year, Stevie is focussed
Alonso, Garcia and Josemi  know what to expect on a windy, rainy Sat afternoon in Birmingham
We should (fingers crossed) not have as much bad luck with injuries
and we have improved certain areas... Sissoko looks good, Reina I believe is a better keeper than Dudek
and Crouch gives us a different option.

Things are not that bad... come on boys and girls, lets get behind OUR team, OUR club.  We definately need the famous 12th man (as Delia would say)..  Lets look forward to another season where we improve,

Even with Owen, Figo, Simeon (?) we where not going to win the leadue this year.  It is going to take a couple more seasons of gradual improvement.  Lets hope this year we end up only 12 points behind the champions, that for me will be a good year!

YNWA

I am loving this positive post - fookin dead right
PhiLFC

Postby Scottbot » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:20 pm

It seems most fans on these boards are divided this morning. Some are down right doom & gloom while others are blindly optimistic. I'm somewhere in between - Happy with our signings so far but dissapointed we didn't get the two players we obviously need.

Sissoko looks an absolute steal and i believe he coiuld be hailed as the best value for money signing come the end of the season. Reina looks a real prescence in goal and has made a solid start. Zenden has yet to produce but i expect him to make a decent contribution this season. I was all for signing Crouch when the rumours first surfaced and am looking forward to dragging up the 'Crouch' threads when the lad proves a revelation.

On the down side I feel it was sheer folly to let the window close without bringinig in a centre-half. losing Carra or Sami to any long-term injury could jeopardise our whole season. However, if they stay fit till Jan i think we'll be ok.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PhiLFC » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:31 pm

Scottbot wrote:It seems most fans on these boards are divided this morning. Some are down right doom & gloom while others are blindly optimistic. I'm somewhere in between - Happy with our signings so far but dissapointed we didn't get the two players we obviously need.

Yeah spot on mate - I am blindly optimistic :cool: 

So fook all the doom mongers...
PhiLFC

Postby Scottbot » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:48 pm

PhiLFC wrote:
Scottbot wrote:It seems most fans on these boards are divided this morning. Some are down right doom & gloom while others are blindly optimistic. I'm somewhere in between - Happy with our signings so far but dissapointed we didn't get the two players we obviously need.

Yeah spot on mate - I am blindly optimistic :cool: 

So fook all the doom mongers...

:D
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby King Carra » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:57 pm

We have one of the biggest squads in the premiership, and we won the champions leauge last year. Now we have strenthened our squad and got rid of a few duff players.
King Carra

Postby Adebisi » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:22 pm

I'm with the postitive people.

This may be a blessing in disguise, come January we will be in great position in that we can afford a couple of fresh new signings for the last few months of the seasons, players that have been playing all season and we know they will be in top form and can hit the floor running.

Rafa still may have a loan signing up his sleeve for right midfield that could do the job til xmas (god knows who but there's always good players being left on benches in Europe)

Weve seen last season's squad can match the Champions, we are now arguably stronger and in my opinion are capable of beating any team in the league, or Europe.
Adebisi

Postby 109-1093441336 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:46 pm

:wwww

Looks like the whoppers are still angry.

Bet they've (AB) registered on Chelseafc.com already.

So we didn't get a CB and RW, so what ...

How can anyone doubt the might of Josemi ?

How can anyone doubt the superlative Potter ?

These two are our future captain and vice-captain, not a chance the whoppers will let them though.

You can keep your Milito's and your Simaoes for CM.
109-1093441336

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion