Can we finish in top 4?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:44 am

at least benitez is confident we can finsih top 4: from lfc.tv -

Rafael Benitez brushed off the disappointment of Saturday's derby defeat and insisted: "We'll be in the top four at the end of the season." 
As Rafa prepares his team for tonight's 'game in hand' against Portsmouth at Anfield, he refuses to be downbeat following the loss at Goodison and insists his team will become a stronger force in the second half of the campaign.

He said: "I've said it many times before but I have a lot of confidence in the team and we will be in the top four by the end of the season. Why? We have a good squad, good players who are training hard and who understand the situation, and it only takes two or three games to change everything.

"We have got a high level at home. The main thing now is to see what we can do differently away.

"But we have played most of the teams at the top of the table away from home already so in the second half of the season most of our away games, with the exception of Arsenal, will be against teams in the bottom half of the table. All the top teams, except Arsenal, have got to come to Anfield and we can beat anybody at home.

"I don't like to see the gap between my team and the rest but I am very confident we will close it and if we can take three points off the top teams it can change very quickly.

"In the next two months we don't have Champions League football and so that is the team when I want to see the real level of the squad.

"The most important thing now is the mentality of the players for the next game. We were very disappointed by Saturday's result but I said to the players in the dressing room afterwards, 'You have one day to be disappointed, then you must start thinking about the future'. We cannot think about the last game now. We must think about the next game and the three points." 

LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:09 pm

just read that we are two points better off than we were at the same stage last season, and if with all the injuries we have had and new players and manager still moulding together as a team, it's not all doom and gloom as some like to think, as we are definately playing much better football than last season and with players returning from injury and new signings hopefully coming in January things are not as bad as some think, top 4 is definately still on.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:43 pm

The quality of play has improved a lot but it is the finishing that is so problematic. Then, to compound matters, the rearguard is very prone to giving away free kicks in dangerous areas cheaply and letting in soft goals which are really avoidable.

The problem with Hyppia is not ultimately the lack of pace, he never had any serious pace in the first place, but this time around, he seems to be slow to act/anticipate and when he reacts, he ends up being behind or failing to close down or beaten that he resorts to some means which ends up as being adjudged as upending and gives the opposition dead balls in dangerous positions. This has been Hyppia's problems of late.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby cheesecake » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:54 pm

whelston23 wrote:carra may not be strong in the air but certainly has the pace...

Pretty sure Harry Kewell's only goal of the season came due to a superbly contested knock-back header from Mr Carragher. I really dont see his heading as a serious flaw in his repertoir.
cheesecake

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion