Can we finish in top 4?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 100-1102639321 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:27 pm

i know that, i just think if players know there is competition for places they might actually have a go, instead of being lazy ******
100-1102639321

Postby stmichael » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:36 pm

at the start of the season i predicted that we would finish 3rd if we found any level of consistency. manure had a poor start and not even the most ardent blush#te fan would seriously have believed that they would stay up where they are.

the fact of the matter is, we are always going to struggle to find any consistency when the manager keeps chopping and changing the team. we also have picked up 6 POINTS OUT OF 27 away from home which is relegation form.

everton will have a blip at some stage it's inevitable. our home form has been very good this season and we are fortunate that 4 of our next 5 league games are at home. unbelievably, we are still favourites to finish 4th with most bookmakers. i for one, am not so sure.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ICE-MAN » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:36 pm

i think we can make it if we get a good run going after christmas, people have to understand its still early days with rafa, with the players so used to negative tactics plus most of them being shyte its difficult to get them to play the way rafa wants and effectively!
im not happy with some of rafas decisions though, resting alonso no way, and taking off a striker to bring on traore hes done that twice over the last few weeks whats that about!
i think gerrard is also unsettling the team!
finnan should always play instead of josemi hes better than him and hes in his prime so why bloody rest him!
fact is we badly need more strengthening in january!

any idea when transfer window opens? i will go mad if we sign someone like this david villa bloke that theyre talking about, we better get someone proven like morientes anelka or mista! :cool:
ICE-MAN

Postby stmichael » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:40 pm

Norwich, Southampton and WBA are the only teams in the whole league to have picked up fewer away points this season, so far....

That is utterly disgraceful.

Newcastle's away record last season saw them only winning about 2 on the road....they failed to secure CL football and that's what cost them....

Our only saving grace so far this season is that of our 9 away games so far, we've already played Chelsea, Man Utd, Everton, Bolton and Middlesbrough, all of which are tough trips....

But we now find ourselves in the position whereby we'll need to win the majority of our games away at: Charlton, Portsmouth, Newcastle, Man City, Norwich, Birmingham, Crystal Palace, Southampton and West Brom (forget Arsenal, we aint gonna win at Highbury)....

We're not the 'new Newcastle' yet....but unless we stop being so shyte away from home...and soon....we'll end up failing to qualify for next season's Champions League.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Redtribe » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:41 pm

Of course we can make 4th if not better!
Our biggest problem has been scoring goals!

If that can be rectified then we will be collecting alot more points!

As already mentioned, hypia is starting to look a little slow now so a CD is also a priority (in my opinion anyway)!

We have proved that we have the heart and desire to do well and the style of football is 1o times better then last year!

I can only see this season being a big improvement on last year!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ICE-MAN » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:50 pm

AGREE WITH YOU THERE REDTRIBE, WE BADLY NEED TO SCORE GOALS, I RECKON A DECENT STRIKER AT CHRISTMAS WILL SORT IT OUT FOR US AND WE SHOULD BE FINE, IF WE GET FOURTH OR HIGHER AND CLOSE THE GAP TO LESS THAN 30 POINTS IT WILL BE A SUCCESSFUL SEASON COS ITS A BIT OF A TRANSITIONAL PERIOD AND I KNOW THERES A LOT OF PLAYERS RAFA DOESNT WANT AT THE CLUB AND HE WILL HAVE MORE TIME TO ASSESS THEM AND BRING IN BETTER QUALITY! :cool:
ICE-MAN

Postby 100-1102639321 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:40 pm

ICE-MAN wrote:AGREE WITH YOU THERE REDTRIBE, WE BADLY NEED TO SCORE GOALS, I RECKON A DECENT STRIKER AT CHRISTMAS WILL SORT IT OUT FOR US AND WE SHOULD BE FINE, IF WE GET FOURTH OR HIGHER AND CLOSE THE GAP TO LESS THAN 30 POINTS IT WILL BE A SUCCESSFUL SEASON COS ITS A BIT OF A TRANSITIONAL PERIOD AND I KNOW THERES A LOT OF PLAYERS RAFA DOESNT WANT AT THE CLUB AND HE WILL HAVE MORE TIME TO ASSESS THEM AND BRING IN BETTER QUALITY! :cool:

spot on there lad.  as long as we dont finish 30 points of arsenal than we are making progress. however arsenal havent been all that consistent this year.
100-1102639321

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:22 pm

Hypia still has a couple of seasons in him.. He has never been a very fast player, so I don't see how everyone is saying he has lost his pace.  He never had any, The team is just playing differently, higher up the pitch.. He's still class...

Keeping Gerrard and buying a superstar striker has to be our target.  Even in the away games where it looks like our form has been bad we have made loads of chances that just haven't been put away..

4th is deffo in our reach, but we need to take a much higher percentage our excellent midfield are creating.  Don't really want to bring this up BUT... imagine how many goals Owen would have scored this year.. many away from home.....
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby stmichael » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:26 pm

Ola Mr Benitez wrote:Hypia still has a couple of seasons in him.. He has never been a very fast player, so I don't see how everyone is saying he has lost his pace.  He never had any, The team is just playing differently, higher up the pitch.. He's still class...

agree with that. i thought he was our best player on saturday. there was one moment when he brought down a long high goal kick whilst facing his own goal, spun and brought the ball out. it was pure class.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Redtribe » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:39 pm

My opinion on Hypia is he hasnt enough pace and it may be fair to say he hasnt lost any because he never had it in the first place. But playing higher up the pitch maybe shows it up a bit more!
I would still like to see another CD brought in! Hypia would make good cover and help the likes of Whitbread coming through.
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:41 pm

hypia hasnt had pace for a couple of ears, but neither did henchoz so it showed more. with jamie C working his a$$ off things are starting to loko a bit better defensively
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:28 am

We've had an inconsistant start but we are in transition. We began to gel with each other but the injuries really have hammered us. Even so we got our selves together and got good results. We need to win tomorrow's game and get on a good run. We've played tough teams on the road and we have sides like Norwich to play on the road which we need to win. A lot of home games comming up and we need maximum points.

I have to give the Mancs credit because they've started out without their ten key player but they are slowly climbing to the top. If they can do it we can too. Fergie said that his side shouldn't be judged till after January well if that old ****** has a point, we shouldn't be judged till after January either.

I expect good players to be signed and the second part of the season I believe will be much better. Bolton,Villa have started to slip and so I expect Boro and Everton to do the same, once that happens we need to move on up by winning more and more games.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby begintoend » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:52 am

This discussion made a point that we are only 4th place quality at best. :(

While some of you were expecting some other teams to slip up, show some inconsistency like us, lose points and all that... I think we are asking for too much. Our team are not chasing the leaders or setting any pace for the rest of the league. We are always playing catch up. "Oh.. its early days, injuries..."

I say that the kind of football we are playing now has improved. And we should be at 4th place now, have we not missed all the chances or have we not got caught napping in defence. :angry:
begintoend
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby whelston23 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:57 am

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote: :D We will do it.
Good run in the CL, buy some quality in jan, get rid of the deadwood thats still there.
Have faith anyway we have waited 15 years for the title another year or 2 wont do us any harm :)
If Rafas the man we will be rompin the prem every season for at least 5 years :;):

i agree with u , cisse, waiting for so long already , dun mind waiting for another 2 yrs... however , gerrard can't wait for even one season!
whelston23

Postby whelston23 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:13 am

i seriously think that carra and hyppia is as gd as a pairing u can have in the premiership if given more cover in midfield.. why? carra may not be strong in the air but certainly has the pace... hyppia may not have the pace but he is very strong in the air... any long balls from the opposition is always easily deal with by hyypia... they two r a gd central pairing.. but of coz hyypia will only have 2 or three yrs left..
whelston23

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion