GEORGINIO WIJNALDUM - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kazza » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:29 pm

To be fair, he worked hard for the team but I hope we replace him with a player who is as industrious but a lot more creative, he did not score enough or assist enough for my liking and I get he did the hard work. We have a real chance to improve the team if we can find a such a player.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:31 pm

What I will miss is his reliability, the lad is rarely Injured. He has probably doubled appearances compared to the likes of Ox. Yup I do agree with Kazza he did lack creativity but was a pivotal cog to our success, will leave head high with UCL,EPL. Who knows maybe he will leave with a bang and add another UCL (fingers crossed).
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:12 pm

Would love to see another Xabi Alonso style player come in, teams know how to play the TAA / Robbo wingback strategy so lets go back to midfield purity with another Xabi...
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby chriserfolg » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:13 am

Has another 3-4 years of top flight football. Thank you Gini, all the best at your new club.
chriserfolg
LFC Basic Member

Postby devaney » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:34 pm

Apart from one very memorable night when he scored twice after being brought on as a substitute against Barcelona he has generally failed to excite. We need more than a player that is simply dependable, efficient and reliable.  He has been part of a midfield which for a very long time has failed to deliver until the arrival of Fabinho. He can be replaced with a younger and far more creative player in my opinion and I don't think we need to spend crazy money to achieve that.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:44 pm

If he leaves then so be it but its ridiculous business a player of his calibre going for free. Bayern handled the Thiago situation perfectly in selling him before he got the chance to walk.

He isn't the most creative I agree but none of our midfielders are. They dont score and assist fook all because that isn't the role they are asked to play.  Gini is a solid reliable player with a few years still left in the tank. We do need upgrades but there should be others ahead of him in that area.

He wants to stay but the club as far as the media are saying haven't offered him an improved deal from the original offer so looks like he will leave. Personally I think it will weaken us further as he is such a reliable player and has been really good for us. 

He will do well at Barca so best of luck to him.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:02 pm

I just think it’s a good time for club and player to part ways myself, Gini is a good player who works hard and I’ve always liked that ability he had to extrapolate himself from tricky situations with a clever turn or drop of the shoulder but I just feel that our work rate off the ball has dropped off significantly over the past 12 months and we are not as difficult to play against as we once were. I just think we need younger legs in the team not just in MF but up front as well.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:02 pm

Gini will leave the club very much an unsung hero over the last couple of years- he has been outstanding and constant throughout the past 5 years as we have gone from strength to strength- Klopp has played him consistently throughout which shows exactly how high he rates him
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:43 pm

When he was walking off the pitch on the final day of the 2015/16 season when he was relegated with Newcastle I bet he didn’t expect to go on to be a League title and Champions League winner with Liverpool and then go on to play for Barcelona.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:15 am

Lallana in Pyjamas » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:02 am wrote:Gini will leave the club very much an unsung hero over the last couple of years- he has been outstanding and constant throughout the past 5 years as we have gone from strength to strength- Klopp has played him consistently throughout which shows exactly how high he rates him

Spot on, however.... Hendo is the old man of our defence now and we can't carry 2 aging first team players. Gini never gave the ball away, he had a tremendous knack of keeping possession however he needs to be replaced with a new generation player. Maybe more of a play maker than Gini is.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri May 07, 2021 12:03 pm

Quote from Wijnaldum's agent below. Publicly inviting clubs to get in contact in May is not a great position to be in. I wonder if he has underestimated the financial impact COVID has had on clubs willing to give out big contracts and has overplayed his hand.

“Wijnaldum is a free transfer and it keeps all options open,” Nijman told the SPORT1 podcast Meine Bayern-Woche.

“FC Bayern is a great club. If you are interested in , please do not hesitate to talk to us.”

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun May 16, 2021 10:54 pm

Anyone notice that he didn't react or celebrate when Ali scored?
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Mon May 17, 2021 5:16 am

Yup all ran towards Alli like nutters apart from him, found it odd.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Mon May 17, 2021 7:06 am

redshade » Mon May 17, 2021 4:16 am wrote:Yup all ran towards Alli like nutters apart from him, found it odd.

A bit sad, those moments don’t come along every day and whether you are leaving a club or not, those are the moments you remember after retirement
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Mon May 17, 2021 11:15 am

He did celebrate was after a couple of seconds , believe he is one of those that’s stopped celebrating because of VAR
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion