GEORGINIO WIJNALDUM - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red till i die!! » Mon May 17, 2021 4:51 pm

He didnt join the melee after the goal but I did see him hugging and fist pumping at the end of the match. Wouldnt surprise me if the VAR stopped him joining in as it does ruin a celebration because as soon as it happens you celebrate for 2 seconds and the next 5 are hoping it wont be chalked off.

He deserves a new contract in line with those around him. If its till he is 33 and gets paid similar then so be it. He has been loyal and played far more games than any of his rivals and on that stat alone worth more to the team. I haven't read any reports either that his demands are outrageous, just that we made him a take it or leave it offer and nothing else. If he is being totally greedy then fine but that doesn't appear to be the situation here. 

We do need changes but surely sense would be starting with the ones who are never available so are therefore as much use as titz on a bull.  Losing a player as reliable as him and Keeping the likes of Ox and Keita is fooking madness and not going to help us with a title push next season.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Mon May 17, 2021 8:33 pm

red till i die!! » Mon May 17, 2021 3:51 pm wrote:He didnt join the melee after the goal but I did see him hugging and fist pumping at the end of the match. Wouldnt surprise me if the VAR stopped him joining in as it does ruin a celebration because as soon as it happens you celebrate for 2 seconds and the next 5 are hoping it wont be chalked off.

He deserves a new contract in line with those around him. If its till he is 33 and gets paid similar then so be it. He has been loyal and played far more games than any of his rivals and on that stat alone worth more to the team. I haven't read any reports either that his demands are outrageous, just that we made him a take it or leave it offer and nothing else. If he is being totally greedy then fine but that doesn't appear to be the situation here. 

We do need changes but surely sense would be starting with the ones who are never available so are therefore as much use as titz on a bull.  Losing a player as reliable as him and Keeping the likes of Ox and Keita is fooking madness and not going to help us with a title push next season.

+1

Players as reliable as him don’t come around too often
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon May 17, 2021 9:36 pm

Would love him to stay. He offers 10x that of Keita, Ox, Shaq and half dozen others.

But the silence from him and the club is deafening. He's gone.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Mon May 17, 2021 11:30 pm

He hasnt been silent though and has mentioned plenty of times in interviews that he wants to stay. Gone as far as to say his family are settled here and all. It's the club who is silent and haven't even tried to negotiate the original offer.

I can understand his no shows and lack of urgency because of this situation as 99.9% of us would do the same if in the same boat.

If we cashed in last year and got a fee then we could have used that to sign someone else but letting it get to this was daft. It has to be cheaper to give him a new deal than sign a replacement.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Tue May 18, 2021 1:46 am

He hasn't had a pay rise for how many years, 4?
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Tue May 18, 2021 6:56 am

Reg » Tue May 18, 2021 12:46 am wrote:He hasn't had a pay rise for how many years, 4?

Surely that is because he kept refusing contract extensions
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Tue May 18, 2021 10:06 am

Definitely one for the history books !!!

Just in case you haven’t seen this - ENJOY  :laugh:  :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YadHmdsACzc

Gini looks happy enough. We don’t know the full story. I certainly haven’t heard Gini comment on numerous occasions that he is happy at Liverpool. All I have heard is silence. Personally I think we need more than reliability, loyalty and efficiency. Gini is a good lad and I like him but that is not to say we couldn’t do better. He seldom passes the ball more than a few yards, doesn’t score except on the very odd but oh so wonderful occasion and he creates very little. Do we need somebody like Gini next to Fabinho? I would prefer a far more attack minded midfielder who creates and scores on a regular basis.Am I asking too much. We have been sadly lacking in this area for years.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Tue May 18, 2021 11:45 am

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.liverp ... 011380.amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.skyspo ... w-contract

They offered him a deal and that's it, no negotiation just take it and be happy.  That's an insult to the lad who deserves to be earning similar to his peers. Those links are recent but there is stuff from over a year ago where he is saying the same.

Gini and Fab or Hendo and Fab or maybe Milner or Fab  :laugh: . I know which one I would choose. None of them create anything and I would bet he probably has more goals and assists than the other two during the last 5 years. We would be better off moving one of the other two imo as they have little impact, no goals and arent as reliable as Gini.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue May 18, 2021 11:49 am

We should be very careful about handing out a large and long term contract to a 30 year old who has probably had his worst season for 5 years. I'm a big Gini fan and would be happy for him to stay but we shouldn't be rewarding him for what he's done in the past, we should offer to pay him for the value we think he would bring over the duration of any contract extension. Truth be told he and his reps should have been pushing for an improved contract 2 or 3 years ago. We've got great value out of him and if he goes that frees up a space in the squad/payroll to refresh the midfield.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Tue May 18, 2021 12:25 pm

Gini was offered an acceptable contract extension

He wanted more - the club were happy with their offer so it’s up to him

Believe the contract will still be on the table
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Tue May 18, 2021 1:38 pm

Lallana in Pyjamas » Tue May 18, 2021 12:25 pm wrote:Gini was offered an acceptable contract extension

He wanted more - the club were happy with their offer so it’s up to him

Believe the contract will still be on the table

Surely if it was an acceptable offer he would have signed it?.

What is it he is looking for then ? To be the highest paid at the club or to be paid the same as those around him which he is entitled to ask for. Hendo and milner are older than he is but are contracted well into their 30s and earn more money than he does but cant play the same amount of games.

The offer will still be on the table because it's a take it or leave it deal since  the offer was made. Why is it that the club feel he doesnt deserve to be on the same pay scale as Hendo, Milner, Fab, Ox or Keita. What is it that he has done that they havent? The clue is in the amount of games played.

This might be great for the club and Edward's balancing books but it's not improving the team which should be the priority. Do we want to push for a league next season or not or are we back to hoping the others dont do enough so we can get 4th ?.

And I am not saying Gini is the difference in winning it or not but he has been instrumental in what we have won so should be credited for the large part he played.

The bottom line here is that the Manager wants him to be a part of the team going forward but for some reason the club doesnt. Why are they going against their managers wishes and leaving him without the fittest player in the squad.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Tue May 18, 2021 1:53 pm

It’s acceptable to the club with the wage structure

They have a level of wages for over 30 year olds - as well contract length

He has been offered wage increase which as with everyone else is incentive based but I believe it’s only three years as opposed to 4 that he wants

If he leaves then he leaves - it’s not the end of the world , he provides a lot of energy in the middle but there will be players out there that the club would look at

They aren’t going to just give a player whatever they want
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Tue May 18, 2021 2:16 pm

I think we'll miss Gini more than some people think. I know that some want a flashier player in his place that scores more and assists more but that doesn't always work out. Gini is a proven player in our team, one that you can always rely on and is almost never injured.

Considering the current situation in the world I think keeping Gini would be the best option rather risk signing a new player that might not come good. The only positive that I can see in replacing him is that we need to youthen our midfield (as well as out attack) at some point, since most of our players are in or near their 30s.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Eagle » Tue May 18, 2021 4:12 pm

So if Gini, who will be closer to 31 than 30 when the season starts, is asking for 180k a week and a 4 year contract, do you think it's worth it?

No one knows the numbers involved so saying that the club should just get him signed up and will have cocked up if they don't doesn't mean a lot. Personally I wouldn't offer him any more than a 3 year contract.
Eagle

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue May 18, 2021 6:03 pm

It’s just a sad fact that we are going to have to start replacing some of our stalwarts in the near future and this seems like a natural point for the club and Gini to part ways. He’s been a terrific servant but Father Time catches up with everyone. Yes it’s good to have a few experienced heads around to play the ‘Milner’ role if you like but Thiago seems to be earmarked for that role.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion