GEORGINIO WIJNALDUM - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby mramo » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:34 am

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... -wijnaldum

A deal has been agreed with the player potentially joining up for the US trip.

Welcoming aboard Geo!

Liverpool have agreed a deal in the region of £25m with Newcastle United for midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum, according to Sky sources.

Wijnaldum, who has 30 international caps for the Netherlands, will travel to Anfield on Thursday for a medical which is expected to last two days.

Liverpool have offered Wijnaldum a five-year deal with the 25-year-old making his last appearance for Newcastle in their 2-2 draw with Doncaster Rovers on Wednesday night.

he midfielder joined Newcastle in a £14.5m switch from PSV Eindhoven last summer but was unable to prevent their relegation from the Premier League.

Wijnaldum, whose situation was also being monitored by Tottenham, was Newcastle's leading scorer last season with 11 goals, four of them in a 6-2 league demolition of Norwich, although his form was patchy and he was unable to help the club retain its top-flight status following the appointment of Rafael Benitez as manager.

Everton had also been interested in Wijnaldum - with manager Ronald Koeman a big admirer of the player - but no bid has materialised from Goodison Park.
Last edited by mramo on Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mramo

Postby C-R » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:40 am

wow, couldn't find anything on the official site, thanks for sharing
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:43 am

Decent player. Not seen much of him, but I know that Toon fans are very sad to see him go. He also has an eye for goal and will be a huge upgrade on Allen...
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:26 pm

The price is a bit steep but then again Leicester want £10m+ for Ben Chilwell who's only played a handful of games so I guess that's the going rate these days.
Wijnaldum is a good player though, he's quick, skillful and has got a goal in him, he's good at extricating himself out of tight situations as well, I noticed a few times last season that 3 or 4 players would surround him but he'd somehow find a way to slip away with the ball.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ethanr » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:40 pm

Coutinho, Firmino, Mane, Wijnaldum... That's a lot of attacking ability coming from our midfield. I'm wondering if Klopp is going to bring us back to the "score more than them" mentality we had when Suarez was here. I wouldn't mind- it was certainly exciting.

It will be nice to have cover in the midfield. Klopp's style involves a lot of running and effort- especially from the midfield. I suspect he wants coverage to make sure we don't burn out like we did last season. Those 4 with Sturridge, Ings and Origi means a lot of attacking talent. Throw in Emre Can in a more defensive role and we've certainly got a nice looking squad. Not sure how balanced that would be, but it'd sure look shiny.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Octsky » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:11 pm

i dont want to rain on anybody's parade.
but have we overpaid for him?
was looking through the toons forum, there's not much fans who will miss him.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:22 pm

Octsky » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:11 pm wrote:i dont want to rain on anybody's parade.

probably paid 10m too much. But have to trust Klopp on this one.

However, I am a little worried about us signing more mid-table players. In Klopp we trust.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:19 pm

Wijnaldum has arrived at Melwood, being reported on Sky Sports News TV channel, so seems it's not quite done as of yet (officially) but just a case of going through the formalities
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pig Catcher » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:55 pm

Octsky » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:11 pm wrote:i dont want to rain on anybody's parade.

Newcastle paid £14.5mil for him 12 months ago and since then he has scored 11 league goals from midfield in a bang average side that got relegated and the market has changed further due to an additional £30 mil for every club gets. £25mil is probably about right. We got £15ml for Ibe and I don't think he has a single league goal.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:05 pm

The Echo are breaking the news he will have his medical tomorrow before flying off to the USA to join his new team mates

Deal worth £23m plus £2m in add ons

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/fo ... e-11643652
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:26 pm

Hard to know the plan loading the squad with attacking midfield players but both Mane and Wijnaldum have very good goal returns in the Premiership and thats certainly an attraction.

You would anticipate a defensive midfielder will arrive but if you control the ball and win it back quick then it becomes less of a problem, or no issue at all.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:02 pm

I wonder if firmino will play in the two with Can? Then Coutinho central, Man and Wijnaldum wide and Sturridge central striker?
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby Klopptomaniac » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:08 pm

Does he play in a midfield 2?

Dunno how I feel about this signing but the midfield needed revamped and this is a step towards doing that. I'd like to see another come in during this window

I'd rather have sold Henderson over Allen but the bottom line is neither are good enough if we're to climb the league
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby C-R » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:49 pm

Georginio Wijnaldum will join Liverpool in California this weekend after agreeing a 5-year £75,000 a week contract. Wijnaldum will have a medical tomorrow after a £23m fee, which could rise to £25m based on appearances, was agreed. Wijnaldum should reach the club’s Palo Alto training base by Sunday & is likely to make his debut against Chelsea.

Klopp still expects to pull off at least one more deal, with a left back high on his list of priorities.

Galatasaray have opened negotiations with Liverpool over a potential £2.5m deal for Lucas Leiva

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... um-8467439
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:06 pm

I have a feeling that Klopp will end up playing a 4-2-3-1 predominantly with Firmino furthest forward but with Coutinho in the hole, Mane right and Wijnaldum left. Can and probably Henderson will be the midfield unless we sign better but Grujic could end up displacing Henderson as the season goes on. I think Sturridge will be used from the bench and he will be frustrated along with Origi and Ings for large parts of the season.

All depends on injuries and who hits form at what time of course.

One thing is for sure - we aren't short of attacking options.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion