CURTIS JONES - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:56 pm

Can't believe our young scouser doesn't have his own thread. No longer just a kid we try and give minutes to in the cups and off the bench when games have been won. He's now a proper option in PL and CL games. Can't be many 19 years old putting in performances like he has been doing for top CL clubs. Got the world at his feet.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/boy-to-man ... 57mppfj5ww

Boy to Man: Curtis Jones' Liverpool rise has Klopp smiling and Milner purring

The 19-year-old can no longer be considered merely 'a prospect' - he's part of the Reds' squad now alongside Henderson, Wijnaldum and Co.

It’s been another good week for Liverpool’s academy.

A home-grown captain, two Champions League debutants, a rookie goalkeeper shining on the big stage and yet more evidence, if it were needed, that the future at Anfield is as bright as the present.

“A proud night for everyone,” reflected Trent Alexander-Arnold after the Reds’ 1-1 draw with Danish champions FC Midtjylland on Wednesday.

Liverpool finished the game with five academy products on the field and another four on the bench. Alexander-Arnold, 21, became the third-youngest captain in the club’s history, teenage midfielder Leighton Clarkson made his Champions League debut while half-time substitute Billy Koumetio, at 18 years and 25 days, is now the youngest player ever to represent the Reds in Europe’s top competition.

Big moments, although Jurgen Klopp, naturally, was quick to downplay them afterwards. “It’s a wonderful thing to have your first Champions League game,” he told reporters, “but a career is all about how many you can have.”

The message is clear; being a Liverpool prospect is one thing, being a Liverpool player is quite another.

Alexander-Arnold, of course, has made the jump, and it looks as though Klopp now has another young Scouser he can call upon.

Because make no mistake, Curtis Jones is here to stay.

Jones was an unused substitute against Midtjylland, but that merely underlines his growing importance. He will almost certainly return for Sunday’s Premier League trip to Fulham.

On current form, he is impossible to leave out.

As senior players have fallen, Jones has taken his chance. He doesn’t turn 20 until the end of January, but his maturity in midfield has stood out a mile in recent weeks. He has played, Klopp says, “like a 26 or 27-year-old.”

This week marked the 12-month anniversary of his league debut for Liverpool, and he has gone from strength to strength since. Never mind the future, let’s talk about the here and now.

“Curtis is the type we really like,” says assistant manager Pep Lijnders. “He has so much bravery, so much courage and so much self-confidence – the proper self-confidence, not the wrong one!

“He is probably the most offensive midfielder we have. He is the first one who makes the surprise move in the box from midfield, the first one who shoots. He gives us risk in 1v1s and a last pass like few players we see on the market.”

Jones’ potential has been talked about for some time. He was 15 when he made his debut for the U18s, and he was on the bench for the first team as far back as April 2018.

Steven Gerrard raved about him when he was coaching at the club while Barry Lewtas, the current U23s manager, can only smile when remembering some of the performances he has witnessed on the back pitch at Kirkby down the years.

“Ridiculous at times, honestly” he told Goal recently.

But to be a Liverpool player, you need more than talent. It requires hard work and devotion, introspection and self-reflection. Harsh words are needed at times, from coaches and from team-mates. It is as much about the bad days as the good ones.

Goal asked Klopp about Jones’ development this week.

“How can I explain it?” he replied. “When you are the outstanding talent in all of your age groups, as Curtis obviously was, then it’s completely normal that you develop a specific personality – very confident, and nothing can harm me or hurt me, all that stuff.

“That was the kid who came in here. That’s normal. And then you realise in the next moment that a lot of really good players are around you when you join the first team! They are as good or better, most are better because they have more experience.

“In that situation, a lot of talents struggle to adapt, from being the Prince to being a normal player in the first team. But it says a lot about the incredible leadership of our more experienced players, because they showed him exactly the pathway, showed him what he still can be and where he has to adapt.”

James Milner’s influence, in particular, has been key. The vice-captain has always admired Jones’ talent, but wanted to know what lay underneath it. Could he learn the ugly side of the game? Would he be humble enough to admit, and work on, his weaknesses? Was he willing to do everything it takes to become a top-class professional?

Milner, sources say, was never shy of asking those questions out loud. ‘Where’s your left foot, Curtis? Don’t you want to head it? Come on, you’re stronger than that aren’t you?’

He tested the youngster, both in terms of his technique and his mettle. He challenged him to prove him wrong.

Jones didn’t always enjoy the comments – who would? – but he accepted the challenge. Winning Milner’s approval, and that of the other senior pros, became something of an obsession.

He managed it, too. Milner has spoken openly about the “massive difference” he has seen in the youngster’s game. “He always had the ability,” he said last season, “but he seems a bit more mature now.

“There are times when you need to encourage, but also times where you need a rocket as well. He’s realised that if you want to play for Liverpool, that [the defensive side of the game] is as important as the stuff on the ball.”

It is clear just from watching Jones that he has taken the advice on board. Not only is he stronger, able to utilise his 6ft 1in frame well in tight spaces, but he is ready to do the simple things as readily as the spectacular. He defends well, he closes down space and cuts off angles, he asks for the ball and he uses it well, either carrying it or, more frequently, playing a short, quick pass to help build Liverpool’s rhythm.

He scored the winner against Ajax recently, a big goal in a big game, but Klopp cared as much for his positional discipline, his aggression with the press and his attitude. He did what the team needed.

“It’s about doing things in the right moment,” he said. “It’s being involved in the game – really involved, not just on the pitch – for 90 minutes.”

Jones’ performance against Wolves last weekend was arguably his finest in a red shirt. No player had more touches of the ball, no Liverpool player won more tackles and only Sadio Mane contested more duels. He took a bang on the hip but completed 90 minutes as his side won 4-0.

“Exceptional,” Klopp told him afterwards.

The door is very much open, now. Liverpool have midfielders returning – Naby Keita and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain are back, and Milner and Thiago Alcantara shouldn’t be too far behind – but Jones is a serious challenger, a threat that can’t be ignored. There’s more to come, room to grow still, but he deserves his chance.

The days of the ‘prospect’ are over. The boy has become a man, and Liverpool are the ones feeling the benefit.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:02 am

I like this lad. He's got bags of talent and can twinkle toe his way through the centre of the park like a young Peter Beardsley.

Admittedly, he is prone to trying too hard at times, but I think he's going to be a star.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Eagle » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:11 am

Can't believe he's 19. He's playing like someone in his mid 20s. No longer a prospect but a proper player we can rely on. Can see Southgate calling him up for the Euros at this rate. Also great to have another scouser come through the ranks.
Eagle

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:32 pm

7_Kewell » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:02 pm wrote:I like this lad. He's got bags of talent and can twinkle toe his way through the centre of the park like a young Peter Beardsley.

Admittedly, he is prone to trying too hard at times, but I think he's going to be a star.

No denying the lads talent. Like you I think he sometimes tries to do too much. Often attempts something that's not really on. Can't blame a fella for giving it a go but at times it's frustrating.

No doubt his decision making will improve with age and experience.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby redshade » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:56 pm

This run of games is doing him wonders, Curtis will do well here I'm sure. I hope he starts to chip in goals aswel soon.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:17 pm

This lad has got a touch of the Gerrard’s and Rooney’s about him in the sense that even though he’s still a teenager and has only 14 or 15 prem appearances to his name he regularly looks one of the best players out on the pitch. He’s a serious, serious talent.
He’s maturing in interviews as well, he’s been accused of being arrogant in the past but arrogance is actually a great asset to have as a football player just as long as you park it up when the ref blows the final whistle. He seems to be doing that. If this lad keeps on developing (because that’s what the Gerrard’s and Rooney’s did, they didn’t plateau out at 22/23 they kept on getting better and better) and learns to stay arrogant on the pitch but humble off it the sky really is the limit for this lad.
Footy is littered with players who blew their talent though, players who took it for granted and became lazy etc so it will be interesting to see which way Curtis goes.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:37 am

I always saw him as a potential star and I am happy he is “coming good”. It is easier being young and playing wide or even up front but to do it in the middle of the pitch shows he has a strong mentality as well as talent. Pace is not his game but rather guile and good technical skills which to me means he will only get better.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Eagle » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:49 pm

There aren't many 20 year olds who can run a game from midfield away from home in the Champions League against a decent side like Porto. He's still very young for a midfielder so he'll have bad games and bad patches but he has the potential to go on and be a main stay in our first 11 for years to come.
Eagle

Postby Eagle » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:35 pm

Great to have him back. There's a midfield spot there for the taking but he got a bit unlucky with concussion, an eye injury in training, and then covid. He keeps the ball so well and is so much better when pressed than Henderson and Milner. He turns well in tight spaces and has a good shot on him. He just need to do things a little quicker in the final and he'll start adding goals and assists. Not 21 for a couple of weeks. See a big future for him in our first team if he can keep progressing.
Eagle

Postby Eagle » Wed May 17, 2023 10:56 pm

Eagle

Postby Eagle » Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:42 pm

Liverpool fans watching the Euro U21s to scout midfielders like Thuram, Kone, Gravenberch, Veiga, etc, but they were all outshone by our boy Curtis. He's comfortably a £50mil+ player. Hopefully he picks up where he left of last season.
Eagle

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:03 pm

Eagle » Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:42 pm wrote:Liverpool fans watching the Euro U21s to scout midfielders like Thuram, Kone, Gravenberch, Veiga, etc, but they were all outshone by our boy Curtis. He's comfortably a £50mil+ player. Hopefully he picks up where he left of last season.

No doubt the fella has talent BUT I somehow remain unconvinced by his contribution.

Maybe it's just me (?) but his decision making often seems more about him and less about the team.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:09 pm

woof woof ! » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:32 pm wrote:
7_Kewell » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:02 pm wrote:I like this lad. He's got bags of talent and can twinkle toe his way through the centre of the park like a young Peter Beardsley.

No denying the lads talent. Like you I think he sometimes tries to do too much. Often attempts something that's not really on. Can't blame a fella for giving it a go but at times it's frustrating.

No doubt his decision making will improve with age and experience.

Just realised I posted this over two years ago, sad to say nothing so far has changed  my opinion apart from the fact that age and experience doesn't seem to have added anything   :(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:52 pm

Tbh I would have expected him to be a standout player in that tournament given the experience he has. I didn't think he stood out that much in the minutes I seen and certainly not in the final.  He did make the team of the tourney though so obviously did do well.

Personally I don't think he is anything special. Alright as a squad player but not good enough to be a regular starter. I would guess that's the feeling within the club as well because we spent so much on Mac and Szob.  Maybe injuries has set him back and I reckon the best thing we could dp is loan him out to another prem club where he's guaranteed to play at least 30 games and see how he gets on.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:33 am

He has a UK passport so will always have a job....
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion