Fixing our defence - what needs to be done?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby devaney » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:38 am

Deflection after deflection against Villa plus several Adrian mistakes make the situation look considerably worse than it is. Matip injuries  are however a massive problem and unfortunately he just cannot be relied on. Gomez hasn’t been the same since his most recent injury and his bust up with that little runt Sterling. If Matip could be relied on I would consider trying him and Phillips as a pairing.These are testing times and it may well have to be a we can score more goals than you can type mentality.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby crazyhorse » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:06 pm

Reports Gomez has sustained a serious injury with England in training today.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:53 pm

crazyhorse » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:06 pm wrote:Reports Gomez has sustained a serious injury with England in training today.

You weren’t wrong mate, it’s on the official site that he actually had an operation this morning. Although the injury was to only 1 tendon and was nowhere near as bad as it could of been they expect him to be out for most of this season.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:25 pm

We are struck bad currently with injuries at the back.
I'm hoping we prepare a buy and sign a CB as soon as window opens.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:42 pm

Feck...do we have any defenders left?
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:42 pm

Apparently we went one nil down in the last nine competitive matches we played, that is something that needs to change if we want to win the PL. We need to get back to clean sheets as it is the best defense that usually wins the PL.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:38 pm

That's a pretty bad stat for a team challenging for the title. However, I don't think there's much we can do in defence in terms of the personnel we have, all of them are pretty much as good as they come. As was said in other threads, the real problem is in midfield. Our midfield hasn't been good enough probably since Gini left and we never really replaced him.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:55 am

damjan193 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:38 pm wrote:That's a pretty bad stat for a team challenging for the title. However, I don't think there's much we can do in defence in terms of the personnel we have, all of them are pretty much as good as they come. As was said in other threads, the real problem is in midfield. Our midfield hasn't been good enough probably since Gini left and we never really replaced him.

Agreed and if we don’t find cover for our midfield it could get worse, not because they are not good enough but more due to their inability to play consistently without missing 2-4 weeks through injury.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:20 pm

Liverpool recall Owen beck from loan at Dundee, seems to have done well there and will probably cover for Gomez at LB.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/67857808
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:02 pm

Realise this thread was started some years ago. Given after 19 games this season we've currently got the best defensive record in the premiership, perhaps "fixing" is a word I wouldn't use , certainly with a number of players injured or unavailable "reinforcement " is needed .  I think most will agree that a versatile DM would be a significant help to our ambitions this term.  .  :)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby kazza » Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:05 pm

woof woof ! » Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:02 pm wrote:Realise this thread was started some years ago. Given after 19 games this season we've currently got the best defensive record in the premiership, perhaps "fixing" is a word I wouldn't use , certainly with a number of players injured or unavailable "reinforcement " is needed .  I think most will agree that a versatile DM would be a significant help to our ambitions this term.  .  :)

In terms of buying defenders I just don’t want a situation like we had with midfield last year when we left it too late to act. Better to bring them in slowly and mesh them in the team. We are definitely losing a defender in Matip and we need backup for VVD, obviously a RB and LB for the future as well. That is four players that we should be planning to bring in in the next couple of years, buying one per window would be the best way to ease them in so we don’t end up with a defensive crises two years from now.

In terms of DM, one will be needed as Endo will be 31 in Feb
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:55 am

It’s incredible how we can have the best defensive record considering the lack of clean sheets and how many goals we have gifted teams before we got going.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion