Fixing our defence - what needs to be done?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:02 pm

Feck me, 4 goals against Norwich and they could have had more. Every ball that got within 30 yards of our goalline looked destined for the net. Why is our defence so bad? How can we fix it? 

Personally I'd keep Sakho and Cyne and more the rest on.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:06 pm

It's not down to just replacing the current personal with another, it's far far deeper and more complicated than that. Can't tell exactly what it is but I know that it's a mixture of a lot of things which won't be solved with signing a single defender.

I'm not sure how we should solve this problem but I'd start with giving a partnership of Sakho and Lovren a decent run of games, which hopefully won't be disturbed by injuries (one of the reasons we're doing so bad at the back)
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Octsky » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:15 pm

actually i felt that lucas did not protect the back 4 well,
for norwich second goal, you can see lucas ball watching as nasmith strolled past him easily to score.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:18 pm

Octsky » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:15 pm wrote:actually i felt that lucas did not protect the back 4 well,
for norwich second goal, you can see lucas ball watching as nasmith strolled past him easily to score.

He also broke up play at least a dozen times. There's a lot of problems in there but Lucas ain't one.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:23 pm

I think a proven defensive midfielder is needed. Lucas isn't that quick and almost ALWAYS gets booked in the first half, which restricts him later in the game as he's scared to get sent off. Can isn't a defensive midfielder in a million years and neither is Henderson or Milner.

Bringing in a Hamann type of player would stop players running straight through our midfield or running around Lucas.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Octsky » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:26 pm

masch was a bloody traitor but i think he was our best DM since the EPL started.
we need to sign a hard man ball winning DM.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:37 pm

damjan193 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:06 pm wrote:It's not down to just replacing the current personal with another, it's far far deeper and more complicated than that. Can't tell exactly what it is but I know that it's a mixture of a lot of things which won't be solved with signing a single defender.

I'm not sure how we should solve this problem but I'd start with giving a partnership of Sakho and Lovren a decent run of games, which hopefully won't be disturbed by injuries (one of the reasons we're doing so bad at the back)

Yeah I think Sakho and Lovren have the potential to be a decent CB pairing and I also agree that this problem won't be solved by just signing a couple of 6 foot 6 beanpoles. Being good in the air is not all about height, if you are brave and you are prepared to really attack the ball then you can be really effective in the air, just look at the likes of Tim Cahill and Kevin Keegan. From 1 to 11 we just need to be more aggressive when the ball is in the air.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:01 pm

Octsky » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:26 pm wrote:masch was a bloody traitor but i think he was our best DM since the EPL started.

Disagree, thought during his time with us he was always a heartbeat away from a red card just waiting to happen.

That's not to say I wouldn't want the more measured  player he has become to be with us now.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby aCe' » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:18 pm

We have a GK, LB, CBs, DMs, and CMs who are all average players who wouldnt get into the top sides. Despite that, we set up to play like a big side with an attacking formation (at least in terms of player positioning). You can get away with having 1 or 2 average players but not as many as we have. If it isnt Mignolet making a mistake, it's Moreno, Lucas, Skrtel, etc.

If we had a Benitez in charge, we'd have a much better defensive record with the same personnel. Klopp wants to play a certain way and for that we'll need better players starting with a new GK and at least one central midfielder.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:31 pm

It's a real problem and the rot was there before Klopp came in.  Needs to be addressed because we are shooting ourselves in the foot and it very nearly cost us today. Solution? For me lots of work on the training ground and bring in an organiser in defence to replace Toure when he goes this sunmer
Doeboy

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:40 pm

Doeboy » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:31 pm wrote:It's a real problem and the rot was there before Klopp came in.  Needs to be addressed because we are shooting ourselves in the foot and it very nearly cost us today. Solution? For me lots of work on the training ground and bring in an organiser in defence to replace Toure when he goes this sunmer

Think Joel Matip will help, but Moreno leaves us so vulnerable on the left. His positioning is dreadful and he has as much footballing brains as a cabbage
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:18 pm

7_Kewell » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:40 pm wrote:
Doeboy » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:31 pm wrote:It's a real problem and the rot was there before Klopp came in.  Needs to be addressed because we are shooting ourselves in the foot and it very nearly cost us today. Solution? For me lots of work on the training ground and bring in an organiser in defence to replace Toure when he goes this sunmer

Think Joel Matip will help, but Moreno leaves us so vulnerable on the left. His positioning is dreadful and he has as much footballing brains as a cabbage

Yep watching the Moreno penalty today cabbage springs to mind...what was he not thinking?? I barely escaped with a whistle I'll go and do it again? Geez what an idiot.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:54 am

I think it is easier to suddenly start scoring than to suddenly start defending well. We have too many average players in the defensive half (starting with the keeper) for us to make CL this year. Our goal difference is -2 after this many games and that is quite shocking really ( has is ever happened?). As close as the table is, it does not lie so I really think we have no chance to be in CL except if we win the Europa Cup

W D     L        F       A      GD Pts
1 Leicester              23    13    8    2    42    26    16    47
2 Man City              23    13    5    5    45    23    22    44
3 Arsenal              22    13    5    4    37    21    16    44
4 Spurs              23    11    9    3    41    19    22    42
5 Man  Utd.             23    10    7    6    28    21    7    37
6 West Ham.           23    9    9    5    36    28    8    36
7 Liverpool              23    9    7    7    30    32    -2    34
8 Southampton       23    9    6    8    32    24    8    33
9 Stoke              23    9    6    8    24    25    -1    33

Our attack is average but our defence is awful and we should not kid ourselves, unless this gets sorted we will never really compete. A goal diff of -2 after 23 matches is shameful.we need to start filling our defence with leaders or we go nowhere. It has been a problem since Rodgers but this year it seems worse. I love that we play attacking football but -2 after 23 matches is glaring.

Edit- sorry about the table but it was lined up when I typed it
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:00 am

That's awful, I didn't know our gd was in the negative... I thought it was like +1 or +2 or something...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:19 am

The Mirror are heavily linking us with a 20 million pounds bid for Kasper Schmeichel, who is a pretty decent keeper

Also the rumours of a deal for Ter Stegen have started again

Wondering if they wanted to tie Mignolet down with the intention of making him number 2 and hoping someone would come in for him
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion