Fixing our attack - what needs to be done?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kazza » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:02 am

kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:55 pm

I think, (personally) that it's overall our Midfield and not the front three that is the main issue.
Too many defensive midfielders in the centre of the park... Fabinho, Wjnaldum, Hendo, Milner, Keita etc etc.
None of them can surge forward or score a goal for toffee. I think Klopp should be seeking a Steven Gerrard or Kevin De Bruyne type Midfielder to put in there.

I've seen enough of our midfielders on the pitch to see that other than the front three, the rest haven’t got a goal between them!!

Shaqiri, therefore, should play more than the likes of Fabinho. We need players who are not afraid to get on the ball, get forward and make things happen.

That Fekir deal falling through maybe one big reason why we may fall short this season, and may come back to haunt us. Bad knees or not, he scored 22 goals from Midfield last season.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:51 am

:cool:
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:55 pm

Yesterday was great and all and I didn't want to criticize anyone, but I can't ignore the fact that we were so poor upfront. I mean, what the f*ck was that? 21 shots and only one goal? We missed so many chances and it could have cost us if it weren't for that miraculous save at the end.

Final ball was very poor, but still we created plenty but just couldn't finish. A lot blame the midfield for the lack of goals this season but yesterday was proof that it's the attack that's misfiring.

I like both Mane and Firmino, but they've both been way out of form this season. I hate to say it but IMO we need to upgrade on one of those two.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Fowler_E7 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:52 pm

I was pleased to see us making a lot of chances again, in a lot of games this season we haven't created much so it was pleasing to see us put in attacking performance similar to last year. The finishing was woeful but at least there are signs that we are getting back to our best.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:16 pm

Mane displayed one of the worst performance by a striker ive seen in ages..total rubbish...The lad has to straight his head and quickly...

Bobby is just a none factor...which is quite as bad..

Both worked their tails off but they are paid for an end product..

Salah scored but cant say he was top form..
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:27 pm

Nothing to worry about - I would be more worried if they weren’t getting into positions to have the chances , on any other day Mane will tuck them all away. And Bobby whilst not scoring was always in and around the play supporting playing the little balls and creating the space.
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:08 pm

You cannot overstate how hard Bobby works off the ball.

He's also one of the most technically gifted players we have and is one of the first names on the team sheet for me
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:06 pm

Lallana in Pyjamas » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:27 pm wrote:Nothing to worry about - I would be more worried if they weren’t getting into positions to have the chances , on any other day Mane will tuck them all away. And Bobby whilst not scoring was always in and around the play supporting playing the little balls and creating the space.

thats the whole problem their is no "any other day" yesterday was the DAY and we cant afford at this level for our strikers to miss at point blank..If it wasnt for Allison we would all be at their necks...Mane should find a way to recalibrate..Bobby to me seems more like a Klopp issue not placing him in the right location..
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:16 pm

only me » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:06 pm wrote:
Lallana in Pyjamas » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:27 pm wrote:Nothing to worry about - I would be more worried if they weren’t getting into positions to have the chances , on any other day Mane will tuck them all away. And Bobby whilst not scoring was always in and around the play supporting playing the little balls and creating the space.

thats the whole problem their is no "any other day" yesterday was the DAY and we cant afford at this level for our strikers to miss at point blank..If it wasnt for Allison we would all be at their necks...Mane should find a way to recalibrate..Bobby to me seems more like a Klopp issue not placing him in the right location..

We won - the missed chances didn’t stop us winning the game , and Alisson was bought to provide that security when the goals don’t go in

Mane will be fine , seen these games from him before - missing chances then goes on a run

And Bobby last night worked all night long creating and getting involved - the most unselfish player out there

If we had lost or drawn then fingers can be pointed - we won , we a hatful but still did what was needed as a team
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:56 pm

We won - the missed chances didn’t stop us winning the game , and Alisson was bought to provide that security when the goals don’t go in

Mane will be fine , seen these games from him before - missing chances then goes on a run

And Bobby last night worked all night long creating and getting involved - the most unselfish player out there

If we had lost or drawn then fingers can be pointed - we won , we a hatful but still did what was needed as a team

:Oo:

Not gonna dismiss Mane's qualities or even suggest we should get rid of him

BUT !

Lets face it , he so often lacks composure and his performances are inconsistent.

If Napoli had scored last night we'd all be calling for Mane's head right now, the fella should have had a hat trick !

When he's good he's very very good, but when he's not "on it" he's massively disappointing.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:03 pm

woof woof ! » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:56 pm wrote:

:Oo:

Not gonna dismiss Mane's qualities or even suggest we should get rid of him

BUT !

Lets face it , he so often lacks composure and his performances are inconsistent.

If Napoli had scored last night we'd all be calling for Mane's head right now, the fella should have had a hat trick !

When he's good he's very very good, but when he's not "on it" he's massively disappointing.

That’s a fair assessment of him - but thankfully he is on it more than he isn’t - and for some strange reason if one of those chances had fallen to him at 0-0 I see him scoring , just seemed a bit “too relaxed” when taking the chances

Can see him smashing a couple in against the Mancs when it matters - I think that the key with him and Bobby - when it matters they seem to step up
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:39 pm

Lallana in Pyjamas » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:27 pm wrote:Nothing to worry about - I would be more worried if they weren’t getting into positions to have the chances , on any other day Mane will tuck them all away. And Bobby whilst not scoring was always in and around the play supporting playing the little balls and creating the space.

Wouldn't be bothered if it was just yesterday mate but it's been like this all season, we either don't have the final pass or just plain feck up the entire chance with a bad finish like Mane did a few times yesterday. And don't give me that ***** Alisson is payed to do that hurr durr, no one would have blamed him if that one went in, instead this thread would have been lit today. And this is not just my opinion, most analysts agree with me, even Klopp has said it a few times!

Like I said, I like both Mane and Firmino, especially for their off the ball workrate, but for all the praise you give Firmino for "playing the little balls", he's the one that usually screws up the final pass, a lot of the times a very simple one. Won't comment on Mane, just watch yesterdays game, or just the highlights actually.

To sum up, I'll say it again, I like both Mane and Firmino, they're good players, and whilst I might be wrong, I think we can get an upgrade on one of them to take us to the next level.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:45 pm

We are currently sat top of the table , the front three are 4 goals I believe it behind where we were last season , Mane has suffered the odd injury and made him a bit stop start , Firmino quite clearly needs a rest and Salah is finding his form - it’s a front three that is good enough to win titles when the base behind them

Also Klopp has adjusted the tactics and formation a little which doesn’t imo get the best out of Firmino at times and it’s something he is getting used too

If the goals had dried up and we were struggling then I could understand but coming up to halfway into the season and top of the table - Klopp giving all three new contracts shows what he is thinking , add in Wilson next year and I can’t see him looking to replace any of the front three
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:26 pm

I'm pretty sure we'll sign a big money forward or an attacking midfield this transfer window or in the summer, but time will tell. If not, then I hope we get lucky with Wilson and that Brewster lad.

Anyway, I said nothing about the lack of total goals, but the missed chances that can cost us a game, like yesterday. It's similar but it's different.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion