LFC Premiership Years - Best 11  ?

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby woof woof ! » Tue May 24, 2016 9:18 am

Another season over one that was ultimately disappointing although under Klopp I believe we can look forward with some optimism.

Looking back at some of the players we've had since the inception of the premier league (1992) I was struck by just how many top quality players have come and gone and I began to wonder how many of the current squad would get into our LFC Premiership Years best 11.  Sadly NONE of them made it into my best 11. Would any of them make it into your team ?

My 11

.                                  Reina
.   Finnan      Carragher          Hypia         Riise
.                             Hamman   
.           Gerrard                         Alonso
.                              Suarez 
.                Owen                      Torres 

I found it fairly easy to pick 9 of my best 11 but struggled with both fullback positions, some things never change   :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby redshade » Tue May 24, 2016 10:26 am

I would agree with that but i would swap Hamman for Macherano and Owen for Fowler.

Macherano Alonso

Gerrard

Fowler  Suarez  Torres
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Tue May 24, 2016 11:25 am

redshade » Tue May 24, 2016 10:26 am wrote:I would agree with that but i would swap Hamman for Macherano and Owen for Fowler.

Macherano Alonso

Gerrard

Fowler  Suarez  Torres

Yeah, it was a bit of a coin toss on Fowler and Owen, Robbie an obvious legend but Owens' blistering pace swayed my pick.

I took Hamman over Mascherano as although Mash went on to become world class, he wasn't always that during his time with us, he was so often reckless and looked like a red card waiting to happen.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby leeroy74 » Tue May 24, 2016 12:39 pm

Well I'm going with this...

Reina

Finnan      Carragher          Hypia         Riise

Gerrard                         Alonso     

McManaman        Rush         Suarez          Barnes
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Tue May 24, 2016 2:35 pm

WoW ! forgot that Macca and Digger were part of our Premiership Era  :p . Still not sure if they get in my Prem Team.

Rushie's a no for me, think he was past his best come the start of the premiership.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue May 24, 2016 8:13 pm

Reina, One of the best keepers we've had since Clemence 
Arbeloa , Real class ,just looked so comfortable on the ball ,never hurried
Agger , So composed with the ball at his feet always instinctively knew the right ball to play ,elegant player
Hyypia ,Colossus ,'none shall pass' 
Aurelio ,Comfortably our classiest FB even with the persistent injuries , a real big game player.
Hamann  Cleverest and most shrewdest defensive midfielder we've ever had at the club  ,stopped everything and had a real football instinct
Mascherano On his game he was immovable ,played with a ferocity I've rarely seen
Alonso , In his time at Liverpool he was comfortably the classiest midfielder in world football ,just the perfect exponent of the  beautiful game.
Gerrard, A no brainer ,Gerrard on his day was a phenomenon ,raw power, passion unrivalled . 
Fowler Wonderfully instinctive striker ,Fowler was  the most naturally gifted English striker in the game ,and the thought of him in a front two with Suarez is mindblowing   
Suarez   The best striker in the world imo ,once graced our pitch ,just a genius ,capable of regularly producing the extraordinary out of nothing.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed May 25, 2016 8:33 am

RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue May 24, 2016 8:13 pm wrote:Aurelio ,Comfortably our classiest FB even with the persistent injuries , a real big game player.

:nod , Almost included him in my eleven, Fabio Aurelio , the first brazilian to play for the club (?) his name alone makes you wanna back him   :D   

Unfortunately only a 134 appearances in six seasons   :(

No room for Carragher in your eleven RBG   ??? .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed May 25, 2016 11:06 am

IMO these 9 players are nailed on cast iron certainties, the other 2 positions are arguable though.

Reina

Jones.          Carragher.     Hyypia.         ?

Mascherano.   Alonso

Gerrard

Suarez.         Torres.         ?
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby andy_g » Wed May 25, 2016 11:40 am

i'd go with most of those 'nailed-ons', yakka. the big change i'd make is to put clyne at right back. finnan, jones and arbeloa were all good, but i think that clyne in a couple of years will be better than all of them. the attacking question mark surely has to be fowler... he's just too good to leave out. the challenge then is how to get suarez, torres and fowler all playing together. you would hope that they all have enough footballing brain to play in the way that suarez, neymar and messi do at barca. although with our three you could leave torres more advanced, relying on his speed to get onto balls from suarez and fowler. if you had any one of those 3 getting in the box on a regular basis then goals would not be hard to come by.

the left back i would give to aurelio, or even flanagan. shows the lack of real star turns we've had in that position.

so here's mine....

reina
clyne
carra
hyppia
aurelio
masch
alonso
gerrard
suarez
torres
fowler

just got a little twitch in the trousers there, and i don't mind admitting it.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Wed May 25, 2016 12:12 pm

I am shocked that the legends Traore and Biscan have been omitted from the above selections  :lookaround
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed May 25, 2016 5:06 pm

woof woof ! » Wed May 25, 2016 7:33 am wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue May 24, 2016 8:13 pm wrote:Aurelio ,Comfortably our classiest FB even with the persistent injuries , a real big game player.

:nod , Almost included him in my eleven, Fabio Aurelio , the first brazilian to play for the club (?) his name alone makes you wanna back him   :D   

No mate ,if truth be known I was never his biggest fan ,I prefer a defender like Hansen ,cool, collected ,classy and' Danish'. I am however surprised Markus Babbel never got a mention in any of the forums eleven ,as for me personally when compiling my world beaters only Arbeloa compelled me to omit him from my selection.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed May 25, 2016 5:22 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed May 25, 2016 5:06 pm wrote:
woof woof ! » Wed May 25, 2016 7:33 am wrote:

No mate ,if truth be known I was never his biggest fan ,I prefer a defender like Hansen ,cool, collected ,classy and' Danish'. I am however surprised Markus Babbel never got a mention in any of the forums eleven ,as for me personally when compiling my world beaters only Arbeloa compelled me to omit him from my selection.

Fair enough Red, just think Carra's passion alone surpasses anything Agger could offer us. Can't see Agger surviving the war Carra went through in Istanbul

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed May 25, 2016 6:01 pm

woof woof ! » Wed May 25, 2016 4:22 pm wrote:fair enough Red, just think Carra's passion alone surpasses anything Agger could offer us. Can't see Agger surviving the war Carra went through in Istanbul

I don't know about that mate ,Agger could dish it out ,and he's the only defender I've seen with a pocket big enough for Drogba when he was in his Chelsea pomp  :D

Certainly no shrinking violet
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Wed May 25, 2016 7:39 pm

Nobodys far off but it highlights how poor weve been at full back, both sides, for many many years.

Suarez, Fowler and Owen all day up front with Milan Baros never in but underrated historically.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Fowler_E7 » Thu May 26, 2016 10:27 am

Gk: Reina

Rb: Babbel           Cb: Hyypia              Cb: Carragher             Lb: Riise

Cm: Alonso              Cm: Gerrard
                                       Am: Mcmanaman
Fw: Suarez                       Fw: Fowler                         Fw: Torres

Subs:

James
Henchoz
Sturridge
Couthino
Owen
Mascherano
Jones
Fowler_E7