Most exciting signings - Of the last 30 years

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby andy_g » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:11 pm

i'm sure many have seen this article on the official site but i thought it was worth dragging kicking and screaming onto the forum:

this is a list of most exciting signings over the last 30 years as voted for by almost 10,000 liverpoool fans. some of the entries are interesting to say the least...

Morientes - 2670
Dalglish - 2006
Rush - 845
Kewell - 820
Alonso - 736
Barnes - 680
Cisse - 424
Litmanen - 345
Collymore - 303
Beardsley - 115
Anelka - 110
Aldridge - 66
Berger - 63
Souness - 55
Heskey - 49
Riedle - 26
Babbel - 23
Saunders - 13
Barmby - 9
Houghton - 9

can't really argue with the top 3 there but kewell above alonso is a funny one.

i suppose in a lot of ways when we talk about exciting signings we're talking about the potential we think they have. in this way people like morientes and cisse and kewell would leap to the top as we expected so much. alonso would be down near the bottom as no one really knew the guy before he came.

anyway - the difference between expectations and reality, discuss  :D

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:54 pm

Im not sure if I trust these type of polls as e.g.

Morientes is recent and from Real Madrid so in everyones mind
At the time when Kenny joined we were mourning the loss of Keegan and he was relatively unknown even for a Celtic player

Rush the same as he was definitely unknown from Chester and didnt set the world on fire in his first season

Kewell I can see as he did impress for Leeds and we got him cheap

The same with Litmanen as most people were aware of him and his capabilities

Also Collymore for the money and excitment at the time although a complete loon

To be honest a lot of these things have hindsight as if anybody was excited to get Rush then they get my respect as most people said who
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:08 pm

i think thats the thing really. seems like morientes is the first to come to the club with a big fame preceeding him. others have come here with big expectations (heskey, collymore etc) as they were performing well enough in our league but mostly haven't really come to a great deal.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby grahamp » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:23 pm

Only one contender.  King Kenny !
grahamp

Postby Dalglish » Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:07 am

Liverpool fans were desperate and in mourning in the summer of 77 when Keegan sought fame and fortune in Germany. Shortly afterwards a certain young pretender arrived at Anfield from Celtic called Kenny Dalglish. Within a week the doubts were dispelled and within a Month most fans recognized a legend amoungst their midst :)
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:16 am

Wasn't even born in 1977, Ian.

First major signings I can remember was the Barnes, Beardsley, Aldridge summer.  I had a season ticket that year for the one and only time in my life (up to now that is!!!).  I was 7 / 8 years old and the season after, my Dad had to give it up because my younger brother was born (he posts on here sometimes called Macca) and my Dad couldn't afford the luxury of a season ticket really.  My brother's 17 now.

Can't argue though.  If you had to pick a season to have a season ticket at Anfield, I suppose most people would pick 1987/88.  Even went to Wembley to watch Wimbledon kick their way to the Cup.  One and only time I went to Wembley.

Barnes, Beardsley, Aldridge.

Kind of puts Diouf, Diao and Cheyrou into pespective doesn't it? :(
jonnymac1979

Postby Dalglish » Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:19 am

Barnes Beardsley and Aldo ............... ohhhhhh I've just wet my pants !!!! :D

I watched them that season too and they were a joy to watch. The 5-0 Drubbing of Forest had to be seen to be believed and Cloughie wasn;t wrong when he described it as the greatest team performance he had ever seen ....
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:32 am

Yes, I was there!!! :D
jonnymac1979

Postby Dalglish » Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:35 am

in the words of Monty Python , you Lucky lucky ****** !!!!!!! :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:43 am

I cant believe Big Jan Molby isn't included amongst those illustrious names
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:06 pm

Dalglish wrote:Barnes Beardsley and Aldo ............... ohhhhhh I've just wet my pants !!!! :D

I watched them that season too and they were a joy to watch. The 5-0 Drubbing of Forest had to be seen to be believed and Cloughie wasn;t wrong when he described it as the greatest team performance he had ever seen ....

I remember watching it...... on telly..... obviously. Ive got it on video and watched it again recently. The thing was forest were the closest competiton and we beat them 5-0!
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GerrardisKing » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:28 pm

I think the best players we haver ever had have come from the academy e.g. Fowler,Owen,Gerrard and Carragher.If your gonna force the question though i would say big sami a bargain and a rock or even Riise(what a left foot) 
I`m going for players in my era.
GerrardisKing

Postby The Ace1983 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:28 am

Out of that list, the players whose signing excited me the most were Litmanen and Collymore. I think then I would have Alonso, but on terms of performance for the club? That's a lot tougher.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:02 am

this is a difficult one to call, as there have been numerous quality players that have pulled on the hallowed red shirt over the years.

for the folk on here, depending on your age, will determine what you say as the best player, as you cant coment on what you havent seen

Best Manager - bob paisley
Best Player - all players from championship winning lfc sides
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:15 pm

litmanen is the oen that excited me the most as well. and then we never played him, was gutted. i gotta dmit i was more excited by getting kewel than alonso at the time (hindsight is a great thing) and the cisse thing was great when i knew we were getting him.
Babbel and Riedle were another 2 i was excited about i gotta say
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge