Thank god for stevie g - Midfield dynamo -a man we cannot replace

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby big beers close » Sun Dec 21, 2003 9:41 pm

Ok so this season would have gone a hell of a lot worse had it not been for steven gerrard. Viera says he will be the key man in euro 2004 and i hate to think what might have happened without him.

You can replace strikers (if owen wants to go and we get the right price let him)

You cannot replace those who wear their hearts on their sleaves and do all the work in midfield. He is our one true world class player.

Keep him at all costs.
big beers close

Postby supersub » Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:17 pm

Steven Gerrard will be the heart of Liverpool for many years to come.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby leothelion » Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:52 am

thats if he stays he has said he will consider his future if we dont qualify for  europe that would be a sad day if we lose him:(
YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
"MEMBER OF BEAVIS CREW"
leothelion
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Chinesegirl » Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:39 am

so we must try our best to enter into  europe
watch match on tv to support LFC now
watch mathc in anfield to support several years later!
i'll study hard for LFC
Chinesegirl

Postby azriahmad » Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:36 am

Do you guys think Liverpool can finish high enough to enter next season's Champions' League based on the present form and general way of playing? I just hope that Stevie G will stay even if we don't get into the Champions' League next season as by that time Liverpool will have a real manager to change the fortunes of the club.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:30 pm

Owen will be more greatly missed by England than Gerrard would.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:21 pm

Steven Gerrard is still far from the finished article.

At times his passing is overly ambitious, giving away too much ball.

I'd say he's only at 60% of what he could be.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby big beers close » Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:12 pm

Fair point but don't you think he (SG) is inhibited by those players around him. Liverpool have an average-poor squad compared to man utd, arsenal, chelsea - our bench is rubbish at times- and, as much I would hate to see it, imagine how well he would do at chelsea - lampard is the best example of a good player who has become outstanding due to the players around him this season.

Go get scott parker or nicky butt even to help gerrard in the middle. If we don't qualify for champions league - highly debatable with our present form- then stevie has every right to thin about moving on.
big beers close

Postby Owzat » Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:08 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Steven Gerrard is still far from the finished article.

Considering his potential of only a year or two ago, I am disappointed with Gerrard. He is still a great player but should be rated higher than players like Keane and Vieira by now. Do you think Houllier is holding him back from fulfilling his potential?
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Thu Dec 25, 2003 1:49 am

I think that under Houllier, Gerrard is burdened by having to play as ball winner and playmaker, hence he has a tendency to overdo his passing and long balls. On him giving away too many balls as JGB said, for the most part, the style of play and tactics used relies too much on him to make the final passes which leads to the goal scoring oportunity. When both Gerrard and Owen play, it is usually the case that Owen gets little support up front with the midfield failing to make the opening and it is left to Gerrard to make long passes and Owen to chase and harry the opposition defenders. This has become the norm at Liverpool and is becoming so predictable.
Gerrard needs better midfield colleagues. Hamann is good but I fear, he has not been doing as good a job as Gilberto Silva at Arsenal or having the benefit of world-class colleagues as Lampard is now having at Chelsea. Apart from Gerrard and Hamman, we don't have other midfielders who can truly complement each other like Ljungberg and Pires linking with Viera and Gilberto Silva at Arsenal or Makelele, Lampard, Duff, Joe Cole, Geremi etc.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby whylongball? » Thu Dec 25, 2003 12:51 pm

Owzat wrote:
John Barnes' Granny wrote:Steven Gerrard is still far from the finished article.

Considering his potential of only a year or two ago, I am disappointed with Gerrard. He is still a great player but should be rated higher than players like Keane and Vieira by now. Do you think Houllier is holding him back from fulfilling his potential?

I do think Houl restricts S.G from development to the fullest. He hasnt improved much for past 2 seasons i think. The S.G and DiDi pair is the best at the present squad and i think they provide very good balace.
whylongball?

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion