Stevie's midfield partner - The contenders

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:12 pm

I think that most of the members of this forum would agree that we need to bring in a class central midfield partner to play alongside stevie next season. Ok, Didi still has plenty to offer but if we want to move forward we need a more creative player in that position. here is a quick look at some of the contenders in my opinion.

THE CONTENDERS:

Xavi Alonso 22: Rival to Baraja in the Spanish team, though less spectacular. Disciplined, excellent in the tackle, though a more creative, inteligent passer and very tactically astute. Rarely gets caught out. (reminds me a lot of Ronnie Whelan ).
Quiet, professional and very effective.

Ruben Baraja 28: Sky Sports Spanish correspondant describes him as Spains Frank Lampard..in that he loves to attack! I think he's more like Stevie. Thunderous shot, agressive tackler, great engine and a leader on the pitch.
A winner.

Michael Ballack 28: Is even more attacking than Scholes/Lampard and would restrict Gerrard to a very defensive role. Loves to attack, great in the air, and finishes better than most strikers! Has a reputation for being arrogant and a bit of a sulker though.

Miguel Angel 26: Great engine, non-stop runner, quick, good short passer,plays the holding role for his club but has the pace to get fwd and back. (Didi with pace?).
A player hungry for a big move and success.

Juan Valeron 30: Absolute class, vastly experienced in the Champions league (played Viera off the park at Highbury), fantastic passer of the ball (short and long), always looks calm in possession, lacks pace, very creative with excellent vision. (The Spanish Gary Mac).

Thomas Rosicky 22: Great creative, pacey midfield player who has a great engine. great eye for a pass, superb technique and an exceptional dribbler.

Who of these can you realistically see coming in if any? At this stage I would put my money on Xavi Alonso. The guy is pure class and would relish the move. Real Madrid wanted him but wouldn't pay the 8m asking price.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby blind » Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:35 pm

i want to see Baraja, Rosicky, Ballac and i think those three will actually be possables the others i think would not happen
http://www.footballbadgers.com

My eyes are blind but I can see, The snowflakes glisten on the tree(s) The sun no longer sets me free I feel the snowflakes freezing me.

BS vol 4
blind
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:59 pm

I would like anyone if them, especially Baraja, Rosicky, and Alonso. :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bruno Zidane! » Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:02 pm

I think everyone would like to see Ballack play for liverpool, i think the mans pure class and id personally love to see him in a red shirt next season, but apart from him id say rosicky to come as well. I knew that he was good but after seein him at euro 2004, he would be a quality purchase for us, hes fast,skillful,has great vision and creativity and pretty much everything what you would want in a creative midfielder, and i heard him speakin durin euro 2004 about how hed love to play in the same club side as baros,so i hope that we might just make a move for the lad.....and hes only 22.
Chopper:Look, you're not still angry at me about the leg, are you?
Neville Bartos : Nah, forget about it.
Chopper : Because I don't know if you remember, Neville, but I had that bloody shotgun pointed at your head. I reconsidered and dropped it down to your kneecap. Remember?
Bruno Zidane!
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mynameisred » Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:14 pm

Ooh ooh Im like a kid in a sweet shop with this one. Its gotta be between Ballack and Baraja, for me the latter just wins but can I be greedy and take Rosicky too. Pretty please.
The man who came to merseyside from Newcastle, the man who says he's part of Liverpool as much as the Liver building. When he was needed Alan Kennedy was there. And with now just 8 minutes to go it could be that Alan Kennedy has made a little history.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bruno Zidane! » Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:48 pm

Ive been pretty impressed with a number of the players weve been linked with but can anyone think of any english players weve been linked with or any english players you would like to see at the reds. The only one weve been linked with is owen hargreaves and no offence to hargreaves but his the most overrated player i think ive seen his selection in the england squad i didnt think was justified when you consider who missed out, personally i would have had murphy over him in that squad and i aint murphys biggest fan to say the least.
Chopper : Because I don't know if you remember, Neville, but I had that bloody shotgun pointed at your head. I reconsidered and dropped it down to your kneecap. Remember?
Bruno Zidane!
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby madred » Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:05 pm

Anyone heard the rumour about Olivier Dacourt? Not really sure about him myself? Id like to see someone with more creativity than him in midfield and i hope its Baraja!
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby madred » Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:23 pm

Apologies now i have seen the topic on Dacourt.
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stapo1000 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:44 pm

st. mike-why are these players the contenders?
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:23 pm

I wouldn't want Ballack. He'd cost too much and he's too much of  a risk. He's arrogant and aloof. He'll only play his top game if he wants too.

Would be happy with most of the others.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:47 am

Is even more attacking than Scholes/Lampard and would restrict Gerrard to a very defensive role. Loves to attack, great in the air, and finishes better than most strikers! Has a reputation for being arrogant and a bit of a sulker though.

Right,

You always come up with interesting topics and points but ruin it with ****** like that.

Steven Gerrard is a world class box to box midfielder and should never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever change his game to suit a partner or suit another team. The partner that goes in there plays with him, not the other way round unless its Zidane, which ain't gonna happen. I'm sick off all this holding midfielder, being forced to defend ******.

Keane done what Gerrard done with Scholes as a partner. He got forward just as often and still protected the back four. Gerrard does the same. Its upto a manager to make sure he plays his natural game and a playerin there with him does the same.
115-1073096938

Postby Bruno Zidane! » Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:37 am

What is this daft obsession people seem to have that you need two center mids who are different, one defensive and holding and a more attacking centre mid. What id like to see liverpool have is two all round center mids, a player who can defend as well as attack, can throw a tackle in as well as make the killer pass and has the engine to get from box to box during a full game. I know there arnt many players around who can fill this roll but with the things goin on at chelsea at the moment and the players there bringin in, i think a move for scotty parker may be a good one, the lads class and with chelsea havin 68 midfielders on there books they may just be willin to let him go for a very resonable price and a player of parkers ability will not restrict gerrards game in any way, and regualar football for Parker along side Gerrard will only make Parker better.
Bruno Zidane!
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:48 am

What is this daft obsession people seem to have that you need two center mids who are different, one defensive and holding and a more attacking centre mid. What id like to see liverpool have is two all round center mids, a player who can defend as well as attack, can throw a tackle in as well as make the killer pass and has the engine to get from box to box during a full game. I know there arnt many players around who can fill this roll but with the things goin on at chelsea at the moment and the players there bringin in, i think a move for scotty parker may be a good one, the lads class and with chelsea havin 68 midfielders on there books they may just be willin to let him go for a very resonable price and a player of parkers ability will not restrict gerrards game in any way, and regualar football for Parker along side Gerrard will only make Parker better.

You need two alrounders. Thats my point... but they need different strong points. Gerrards are defensive so he needs an alrounder (like Scholes, Ballack, Cole or Rosicky) who's strengths are attacking qualities to you can see the best out of teams. Its the same with strikers, imagine Owen and Pongolle in the same team....

Its all about having the right mix and having two players in the team who compliment each other when playing there natural game.
115-1073096938

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:14 pm

agree there Stu, Real Madrid had it with Makelele and Zidane, as you have said many time Manure had it with Keane and Scholes, Porto had it this year with Costinha and Deco.

It's the key to the Centre midfield.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mynameisred » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:25 pm

I agree with both points of view but the problem is Stevie G CAN do everthing if he plays with someone like Cole or Rosicky alongside him then Stevie G is instinctivley going to play a more defensive role coz thats the sort of player he is. In the Euros Lampard got forward alot more than Stevie but it was a new partnership and they needed time to sync better together. As there is no chance of Lampard coming I feel all our problems would, in my opinion, be resolved with the signing of Baraja as he can also, from what I have seen, work box to box, tackle, is strong and can play in the final third. Give them two time to develop a partnership and I think it would be the most complete, tenacious and goddam creative one seen at Anfield for a good few years.
The man who came to merseyside from Newcastle, the man who says he's part of Liverpool as much as the Liver building. When he was needed Alan Kennedy was there. And with now just 8 minutes to go it could be that Alan Kennedy has made a little history.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion