Stevie's midfield partner - The contenders

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Starbridge42 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:11 pm

Only problem is where's the cash.  I watched a program about the money in football just last night and it reported that Liverpool, Arsenal, Newcastle all have debts in excess of £35 million!  If thats true I imagine we were very heavily dependant on investment furing the close season which hasn't happened.  Also in that interview Rick Parry said he would try his hardest to make sure Liverpool didn't spend money that it didn't have and pointed to Leeds Utd as what can happen when you do try to buy trophies without the infrastructure and income of a Manchester United or have the financial backing of a billionaire like Chelsea.  They also pointed out Liverpool needs 90 million euros to pay for the stadium.  So while we can speculate which world class player could be coming to join Stevie we also have to wonder whether or not Houllier's vast spending and the funds needed for the new stadium might leave us a little dry in the transfer kitty for a while.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby Bruno Zidane! » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:40 pm

Sorry about that Stu, i should have said at the start of me last message that i was agreein with u. Stevie does need someone to give him a hand in the middle of the park as Didi, even though hes great as what he does, isnt mobile enough to be playin along side Gerrard, it was a one man show in the midfield at times last season and Gerrard needs some weight liftin off his shoulders.
Chopper:Look, you're not still angry at me about the leg, are you?
Neville Bartos : Nah, forget about it.
Chopper : Because I don't know if you remember, Neville, but I had that bloody shotgun pointed at your head. I reconsidered and dropped it down to your kneecap. Remember?
Bruno Zidane!
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:05 pm

i have said it before  & i will say it again, baraja is the one.He seems to be the complete midfielder similar to gerrard (ie...can attack, score, defend, create, killer passes).

Just imagine this scenario, Gerrard & Baraja each taking turns to attack while the other sits back. They could do this the whole match. The opposition will crumble with this on-slaught.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:29 pm

Yeah am imagining Baraja trying to force his way past a 10 man defence and then am imagining Gerrard trying to force his way past a 10 man defence. Marvelous yeah. Totally devastating. Can see it now, if you can't force it.... erm.... force it....  ???

How soft is that mentallity?

Duh....

Why not get Vieira in the middle aswell and play Gerrard on the right so you can force the play out wide aswell. Tell you what, why don't we just scrap technical attributes and just go blatently for workers and players who will give everything. Forget the right mix of players, mix doesn't matter. We can do without creativety. WRONG!!!!

We NEED creativety and clever passes. GERRARD IS NOT CREATIVE ENOUGH. I'll repeat that NOT CREATIVE ENOUGH. We need someone who is a better passer, better technically and has more flair and creativety than Gerrard. Murphy has better vision and short distance passing. We need someone better than Murphy and Gerrard in an attacking sense. Gerrard, Kewell Baraja and Murphy are quite creative. They can play good passes and can unlock most defences. Scholes, Rosicky, Ballack are out an out creative players who can unlock any defence and can improvise and create chances out of nothing and have flair.

Whats the point in having two players the same? Baraja is good, brilliant infact, but he can't give us anything Gerrard can't so whats the point? Its like with Owen and Pongolle, neither would be any use in a game where you teams under reiculous pressure and all they can do is hoof. You have to get the right mix.

If Benitez finds this mix another way then great, Wenger has a wierd mix at Arsenal, but imo thats the reason they've never won the league twice running and never really impressed in Europe untill the Internazionale result.
115-1073096938

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion