My hopes for the new season. - As per individual players.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:51 am

Just noting a few things down that I would like to see more of in the new season. These will I think make us a better team.

Firstly I hope that Carra is encouraged to play a bit more with the ball. He has developed into the second best stopper centre half in the Premiership but is capable of adding to his game in terms of ball carry and distribution in my view. His appearances as a holding midfielder for England where contrary to what many in the press wrote he didn't disgrace himself should have gone someway to convincing him that he is capable of better. Particularly as a ball-carrier I think he has plenty of ability if he is encouraged to use it.

It is my hunch (and I know we always say this and he proves us wrong) that Hyppia won't play every game this season. Agger needs to come to the party. He is potentially a footballing centre-half out of the very top drawer based on what we have seen sofar but he needs to be tougher, more decisive in the way he makes his decisions. People often mistake indecision for a lack of strength. A fully commited attacker of the ball is much harder to deny than a half-hearted stick a leg-outer, regardless of body strength. That said my hope is that he has been working out and is ready to become a regular starter this season.

I hope Momo Sissoko can score a goal. His developement into the most destructive defensive midfield player in the Premiership is almost complete. He is a game breaker and changer in equal measure but if he can score half a dozen league goals a season we will be recieving envious glances from the best teams throughout Europe. I think he can become an absolutely fantastic player for Liverpool if his improvement continues.

I hope Steven Gerrard doesn't become England captain. He is our captain and a fine one at that, let John Terry take on the mantle. He is probably better suited to it and Gerrard can just concentrate on trying to become the best midfielder of his type in the World today.

I hope Peter Crouch doesn't continue to believe in his own publicity as he was worryingly starting to do in the World Cup. I hope he remembers where he came from and those cold Wednesday nights at Grimsby away. From a technical point of view I hope he works at not hitting his spaces to early. Too often he gets caught under the flight of the ball and has to attack it with a standing jump. The wait is the key. If he can arrive like a wardrobe falling down the stairs then there aren't may centre-halves who could stop him given good delivery. It just takes confidence and a bit of sense. He might want to talk to Robbie Fowler about it. Robbie is probably the best header of a ball pound for pound in the club just ahead of Kewell and Gerrard and would know exactly what I'm talking about. At the moment Crouch's hieght masks his poor technique but if he improves the latter he will become a much better player.

As a team I hop we hit the ground running. No more thinking a draw at Birmingham or a draw at Middlesboro is a good result in the first few weeks of the season. Go there to win and lets take it to Mourinho. Obviosly I hope all the new signings work out but if our good players can be better, we can achieve big things this season.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mitch22 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:57 am

good post :D  cant wait for momo to score
Liverpool are magic Everton are ..... :censored:
mitch22

Postby el_stinger » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:08 pm

Hope Momo has been practising shooting in the off season
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:14 pm

Good post Bigmick.

After years of posturing, bluster and blind optimism, I genuinely believe it's going to happen this year. I haven't seen anything like this manager in all my years as a Red. His ability to see where improvements are required, make those improvements with incredible ease and speed, and win huge trophies along the way is bordering on genius. It's easy to forget just what a mess we were in a mere 26 months ago. Look at us now. I'm not discounting any other serious title-focused side, but I can't help believe that nothing will get in Rafa's way.

Also there's the by no means insignificant factor of the players; especially the senior ones. Do you recall a group of such top class, yet hungry pros at the club since Kenny's time? I don't. That interview with Gerrard on the FA Cup parade bus has really stuck with me. Watch your Season Review DVD again, notice the glint of determination in his eyes, add that to his incredible ability and tell me you don't believe. When you throw Carra, Xabi and Sami into the mix - not to mention the likes of Robbie, Big Mo, Pepe and JAR - that's one focused, motivated and talented group of players.

There are a few things I'll be looking for this season in particular. As you said, I think both Agger and Paletta will figure more regularly than most people think this season (especially if we go three at the back in some games). Further forward, despite having the best midfield in the League, I'd still like to see more goals coming from the midfielders other than Gerrard. I think Alonso scored six last season but I'm talking about the likes of Sissoko and Kewell.

Good point about Crouch aswell. I saw a side to him when England played Jamaica that I didn't really know he had. It was almost bordering on arrogance the way he took that penalty. I don't think he's going to be an automatic choice this season.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:24 pm

My thoughts for the 5 most important people this season:

Gerrard - Same as last season lead by example, score goals, encourage and most of all have that winning mentality.

Carragher- Similar to micks point, he needs to venture forward more. He is such a threat in the air, if only he would take a gamble and go forward more, especially for set pieces. This is the aspect of the game that Terry is so successful, scoring defenders adds so much value to the team.

Crouch - Work on those headers lad. Unbelievably his biggest asset isn't his best strength. For a tall player his headering isn't up to standard, i'd even go as far as saying Michael Owens headering was better. Peter Crouch needs to utilise his height more if we're to have that cutting edge up front.

Sissoko - Continue the way he left off. Although this season his touch could do with improving, the one criticism I had last year was his first touch. Maybe it was the reason he never found himself in a scoring position?

Finally....

Benitez - He has revolutionised the way we play and brought the success we had been dreaming of for years. My wish is that Rafa takes us to the next step, the biggest step, the league title. One thing I hope Rafa continues is the attacking mentality he way employing towards the end of the season. The occasional 4-3-3, this type of management is the perfect way to get the better of Chelski. Playing with an edge of uncertainty can only be a good thing.

All in all this season has to be successful, a title challenge is a must and the above people will be the ones who will deliver it.
Last edited by SouthCoastShankly on Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:38 pm

As an Australian I'm really hoping that Kewell has plenty of hunger when he comes back from injury.  I know its been done to death, but an in-form and fully fit Kewell would add so much to the team.
Although with speedy here Kewell will be less important, but as an Australia I would love for him to do well this season.

I'm also dying to see how Bellamy does alongside players like Gerrard, Alonso and Robbie on a regular basis. I'm really hoping for him to be a big scorer this season
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby Judge » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:50 pm

bigmick wrote:Just noting a few things down that I would like to see more of in the new season. These will I think make us a better team.

Firstly I hope that Carra is encouraged to play a bit more with the ball. He has developed into the second best stopper centre half in the Premiership but is capable of adding to his game in terms of ball carry and distribution in my view. His appearances as a holding midfielder for England where contrary to what many in the press wrote he didn't disgrace himself should have gone someway to convincing him that he is capable of better. Particularly as a ball-carrier I think he has plenty of ability if he is encouraged to use it.

It is my hunch (and I know we always say this and he proves us wrong) that Hyppia won't play every game this season. Agger needs to come to the party. He is potentially a footballing centre-half out of the very top drawer based on what we have seen sofar but he needs to be tougher, more decisive in the way he makes his decisions. People often mistake indecision for a lack of strength. A fully commited attacker of the ball is much harder to deny than a half-hearted stick a leg-outer, regardless of body strength. That said my hope is that he has been working out and is ready to become a regular starter this season.

I hope Momo Sissoko can score a goal. His developement into the most destructive defensive midfield player in the Premiership is almost complete. He is a game breaker and changer in equal measure but if he can score half a dozen league goals a season we will be recieving envious glances from the best teams throughout Europe. I think he can become an absolutely fantastic player for Liverpool if his improvement continues.

I hope Steven Gerrard doesn't become England captain. He is our captain and a fine one at that, let John Terry take on the mantle. He is probably better suited to it and Gerrard can just concentrate on trying to become the best midfielder of his type in the World today.

I hope Peter Crouch doesn't continue to believe in his own publicity as he was worryingly starting to do in the World Cup. I hope he remembers where he came from and those cold Wednesday nights at Grimsby away. From a technical point of view I hope he works at not hitting his spaces to early. Too often he gets caught under the flight of the ball and has to attack it with a standing jump. The wait is the key. If he can arrive like a wardrobe falling down the stairs then there aren't may centre-halves who could stop him given good delivery. It just takes confidence and a bit of sense. He might want to talk to Robbie Fowler about it. Robbie is probably the best header of a ball pound for pound in the club just ahead of Kewell and Gerrard and would know exactly what I'm talking about. At the moment Crouch's hieght masks his poor technique but if he improves the latter he will become a much better player.

As a team I hop we hit the ground running. No more thinking a draw at Birmingham or a draw at Middlesboro is a good result in the first few weeks of the season. Go there to win and lets take it to Mourinho. Obviosly I hope all the new signings work out but if our good players can be better, we can achieve big things this season.

got bored reading it  :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:04 pm

My hope is that some of the young talent we have bought become established in the first team over the season. I cant remember the last young player we bought who came through the reserves to establish themselves in the first team as a regular. Rednapp? I'm not counting Baros cos he was already an established international.
           I hope Liverpool really have a go this season, no settling for 0 - 0 draws at crappy teams.Most of all I hope Robbie turns back the clock and has one last great season and helps us win the EPL title. I hope the defence is as mean as last season and the attack becomes prolific and Stevie can match last seasons tally.
          I hope Momo and Alonso continue to blossom and Bellamy decides to show his quality not his dark side. To be honest I just want the league title and a good Champs league run and I will be over the moon.
account deleted by request

Postby Sabre » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:08 pm

I hope Peter Crouch doesn't continue to believe in his own publicity as he was worryingly starting to do in the World Cup

Didn't notice anything strange, but I didn't follow the English press to be honest. What would be those worrying symptoms?

Good post.

Myself I expect that both Finnan and Alonso keep progressing they way they have so far.

I expect Zenden provides something for the team eventually, and I'd like also wathing Luis Garcia making harm behinf the forwards.

And last but not least, I personally expect to laugh at the faces of those who said Fowler is old and not good enough.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:15 pm

I also hope that Mark Gonzalez lives up to the hype with which he comes to the club. I don't want him to end up being another Reyes, i.e. all style and no substance.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby red37 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:22 pm

stmichael wrote:I saw a side to him when England played Jamaica that I didn't really know he had. It was almost bordering on arrogance the way he took that penalty. I don't think he's going to be an automatic choice this season.

.......or confidence  ???  and if thats the case, i dont mind at all if he exhibits both of those qualities. in equal measure and with enough under his belt (by now) to be able to realise their value to his 'usual' game. (fair point about his positioning/aerial prowess) those are the 2 key areas improvement will also come in. crouch needed toughen up his act. i believe thats exactly what he has done. and will continue to develop as he works closer with an abundance of talent our squad is fast acquiring.

its a safe bet that crouchy wont be pulling that stunt again. but i also bet he will take other pens (given the chance). and bury them.

i dont care if he isnt first choice this season, as long as when he does play, he continues to wreak the kind of havoc defences throughout europe will be wise to take note of..

there is the measure of how valuable crouch is that he can be mentioned in the same breath as top flight european football.
18 months ago that wouldnt have sounded reasonable to say at all. and if a 'big, gurky looking elsie" can improve that much under benitez in a relatively 'bloody fast' amount of time....what hopes the rest of em.   :bowdown   there is a difference to being 'cocky' and arrogant. the latter to me, suggests having the balls to be able to carry out your goals. whoever it may upset. and i dont give a sh1t if PC pi55es everybody except his own club/supporters off. all he needs now is the right delivery from wider positions and i reckon he'll thrive.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:30 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:headering

a new word

:D
112-1077774096

Postby Hotrod » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:38 pm

As always Big Mick very insightfull post. I agree it would be nice for Momo to get a goal this season he deserves it. My personal hopes for the new season with reagrd to players-

- On behalf of the strikers mainly the ability to take the majority of the chances specially in the Big games (remmeber Crouch against Benfica, Cisse against Man Utd and a few others) added to this the ability to kill teams off rather than the 1-0 wins which make us so nervous

- To carry on this new brand of attacking football we have devopled under Rafa

- Would also be nice to see someone other than Stevie take the game to the oppostion like we know they can the likes of Kewell. Garcia and the rest to step up a gear and be more vocal maybe ?
"GUYVER"
Hotrod

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:43 pm

Hotrod wrote:As always Big Mick very insightfull post. I agree it would be nice for Momo to get a goal this season he deserves it. My personal hopes for the new season with reagrd to players-

- On behalf of the strikers mainly the ability to take the majority of the chances specially in the Big games (remmeber Crouch against Benfica, Cisse against Man Utd and a few others) added to this the ability to kill teams off rather than the 1-0 wins which make us so nervous

- To carry on this new brand of attacking football we have devopled under Rafa

- Would also be nice to see someone other than Stevie take the game to the oppostion like we know they can the likes of Kewell. Garcia and the rest to step up a gear and be more vocal maybe ?

That will never happen. Even the greatest strikers in the World miss the majority of chances, ie they miss more than they put away.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:47 pm

peewee wrote:
SouthCoastShankly wrote:headering

a new word

:D

headering - just say it

perhaps we could have a thread on it :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<