My hopes for the new season. - As per individual players.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:02 pm

red37 wrote:
stmichael wrote:I saw a side to him when England played Jamaica that I didn't really know he had. It was almost bordering on arrogance the way he took that penalty. I don't think he's going to be an automatic choice this season.

.......or confidence  ???  and if thats the case, i dont mind at all if he exhibits both of those qualities. in equal measure and with enough under his belt (by now) to be able to realise their value to his 'usual' game. (fair point about his positioning/aerial prowess) those are the 2 key areas improvement will also come in. crouch needed toughen up his act. i believe thats exactly what he has done. and will continue to develop as he works closer with an abundance of talent our squad is fast acquiring.

its a safe bet that crouchy wont be pulling that stunt again. but i also bet he will take other pens (given the chance). and bury them.

i dont care if he isnt first choice this season, as long as when he does play, he continues to wreak the kind of havoc defences throughout europe will be wise to take note of..

there is the measure of how valuable crouch is that he can be mentioned in the same breath as top flight european football.
18 months ago that wouldnt have sounded reasonable to say at all. and if a 'big, gurky looking elsie" can improve that much under benitez in a relatively 'bloody fast' amount of time....what hopes the rest of em.   :bowdown   there is a difference to being 'cocky' and arrogant. the latter to me, suggests having the balls to be able to carry out your goals. whoever it may upset. and i dont give a sh1t if PC pi55es everybody except his own club/supporters off. all he needs now is the right delivery from wider positions and i reckon he'll thrive.

I just think that the England stuff was starting to boil over quite a bit and there was something not quite right with everyone liking him! Feet back on the ground (apart from when he's going for a header...) and he'll be ok. I just hope there has been some work on his heading, especially now we've got some wingers on both sides of the pitch.

Just on a sidenote, I do hope that in the qualifiers Rafa doesn't play a weakened team in the second leg if we're as as good as through. For a start, the Graz and CSKA games have been too close for comfort! But it's a good opportunity to build some continuity and get another win early on, fitness shouldn't be a worry at such an early stage. Consistency from the start will stand us in good stead.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:19 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:
7_Kewell wrote:i think this is the year we are going to give Chelsea a run for their money.  Last season was a good one,  but our dip in form (where we couldn't buy a goal, let alone score one!) cost us dear. I think next season will see the dream turn sour for Chelsea....they have a LOT of players who want out, and should results start not going their way, expect to see a Real Madrid style bitch fest.

Make or break year for:

Crouch
Garcia
Fowler
Agger

I don't see how Crouch is included on a 'make or break' list. 'Make or break' normally suggests that they need to start performing, did Crouch not perform last season then?

I thought he performed OK.  At times he was very good, but i wouldn't say he was outstanding.  Don't get me wrong, i think Crouch will get more goals and be a bigger (no pun intended) player for us, its just I can't see Rafa being happy with 8 goals from 35 matches.

Que the abuse  :rasp
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:58 pm

great post big mick..

I'm hoping at the back carra and agger gel when sami is rested (if sami is rested), and that palleta learns english and settles well, also that fabio fills in a position that we are weak in at the moment LB and dosn't take too long to adjust

in midfield I cannot wait to see when and how rafa is going to use momo,xabi SG,speedy,pennant,harry,jar,anderson,zenden(bench alot)

upfront I am hoping for bellamy to be able to see the big piture when he is not playing ever game and not throw his teddies away if subbed, fowler to stay fit and hungry for one last great season and then another, crouch to continue to improve under rafa and like you said not get to big for his boots

off the pitch I want abit more from the academy and the board to sort the stadium out as that is the only thing that is holding us back at the moment, oh and for rafa to keep being one cool b@stard on tv :cool:
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:16 pm

i think yes what about you

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Billy_5_Times » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:06 am

The new season. Where to start? Lets start in goal.

Reina-best keeper in the prem as far I'm concerned. Also Scotty Carson has just signed a new contract so it looks as if he ready to fight for the number 1 shirt.

Finnan-either Rafa doesn't like him or he just wants 2 quality right backs because he is constantly trying to bring new right backs to the club, but I would have Finnan any day because he is so consistant.

The pairing of Hyypia and Carra will take something special from Agger, Paletta, Hobbs or Antwi to get in. But I think either this season or definately next season it will be Agger's turn. Sami has been a great servant for the club but I think he will just be a bit part player now.

On the left we have some brilliant options. Warnock and Riise are both accomplished at that position and with the arrival of Aurellio we have even more options. I don't know a lot about Fabio Aurellio other than he seems to get forward a lot. With Traore set to leave (at long last) I'm not worried about who our regular left-back is.

Right wing. Last season this was a real cause for concern. Garcia is useless all over the pitch and Stevie G, brilliant as he was on the right, is the best central midfielder in the world. We also had Kromkamp and even Finnan on the right, neither of who should of been playing there. But now with the emersion of Paul Anderson and the arrival of Jermaine Pennant I think our right wing is now sorted.

In the middle of the park it has got to be Stevie Gerrard and Xabi Alonso. Two of the best passers in the world and with Xabi sitting and dictating the pace from just in front of the back it allows Stevie to play at his best going forward. Gerrard was lethal last season and will be again if he plays through the middle. With Momo Sissoko as back up we possibly have the best central midfielders in the world. Momo may not of scored but that doesn't bother me. His job is to get into your face and that is certainly what he does.

Out on the left I think Gonzalez will be first choice. Kewell and Zenden aren't good enough. In fact I'd prefer it if both left the club. We then have any of our 3 left backs who can move up to left wing. So the left shouldn't be a problem this year.

Up top. My forward pairing would be Bellamy and Robbie Fowler. No place for Crouch in my starting 11 because I think Robbie and Bellamy would be a better combination. It could be going back to Dalglish and Rush. Robbie as King Kenny now with his lack of pace and brilliant link up and through balls, as well as his ability to score. Bellamy as Rush with his pace, timing of his runs and his goals. Now I don't expect Bellamy to be as good as Rush or Robbie as good as Kenny but with Bellamy and Robbie we may go back to playing that way. Crouch on the bench gives us a different option if we are getting beat with 20 to go or if we are winning and you just want him to hold the ball up. We have other options up there as well. Craig Linfield looks as if he has bright future at Liverpool. Gerrard, Kewell and Garcia can all play up front as well but as I've already said, I would like it if Garcia and Kewell wasn't actually at the club by the time of the opening game against the Blades.

All in all I believe this is the year where we make 18 league championships in 19. And about time to.
Last edited by Billy_5_Times on Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'd kick my own brother if necessary, that's what football is about" Steve McMahon
Billy_5_Times

Postby Billy_5_Times » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:23 am

After reading a few of your posts about Crouch I agree with you. He has tried the exceptional rather than the simple and as the great man once said "football is simple it's the people who make it difficult." Crouch will never be a 30 goal-a-season but he can certainly create 30 or more.

The Fowler-Crouch partnership doesn't fill me much hope. Neither have pace and both link up well with people who have pace. And as i said it my earlier post Crouch I think would be better coming off the bench rather than starting.

I wasn't sure about Crouch when we bought him, but have been impressed by him since his arrival. Yet I don't see him as our number 1 striker. He played well last year but looked a little bit better because of the players around him, Cisse, Morientes and Garcia. Not the best of strikers.
Last edited by Billy_5_Times on Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'd kick my own brother if necessary, that's what football is about" Steve McMahon
Billy_5_Times

Postby thegreenred » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:44 pm

i maybe looking at this season through my red tinted specs but firmly believe this is our year, With the acquision of bellamy,gonzalez,added to the sqauad the long wait could now be over. christ i have been saying this this for almost 20 years sooner or later iv'e got to be right.
thegreenred

Postby Billy_5_Times » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:52 pm

thegreenred wrote:but firmly believe this is our year

thegreenred this is our year, red specs or not. Robbie is back fit, Crouch has his 1st season under his belt and Bellamy looks raring to go. This season we will be firing on all cylinders.

Stevie G and Carra and a few of the other lads need just 1 trophy to make it a full set in club football and that 1 is the league. The 1 we have waitied over 2 decades for. So lets go out and win it this year.

COME ON REDS.
Billy_5_Times

Postby Pakat » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:11 pm

That all the new summer signings will improve our squad and further our chances of winning another major trophy or 2.
Pakat

Postby Liverpool_In_My_Blood » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:12 am

Hopes? To win the league of course. The new signings have blosted our squad and will certainly help but I think only Bellamy is a certain starter. Kewell's glimps of form last year may get him the nod and Gerrard was to the best in the league last year.
people say laughing is the best remody for illness and that is why Evertonians never get sick
Liverpool_In_My_Blood

Postby Ollyn88 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:57 am

for EPL==> liverpool bcome english champion and chelsea relegated (LOL...) + 'the traitor' get his karma!

and my main hope is milan for double champions of course... :)
Ollyn88

Postby Anfield Kop » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:04 am

We have a squad which will allow us to challenge for the title.
" You'll Never Walk Alone "
Anfield Kop
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ollyn88 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:41 am

seriously, i believe liverpool can win this season epl title. just trust your coach. he's GENIUS! after CL and FA cup this is the time for EPL! stevie G, xabi, and carra are great, crouch get more extra self-confident after his pretty good performance in WC and the new additional player will make this team stronger (just watch out for fabio aurelio, he's really good!). :nod

let's say, bye2 chelshitt!!! :rasp
Ollyn88

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion