Central defence - who should play?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:13 pm

have to say, i'd like to see Sahko and Toure line up in the next match...Agger and Skittles were pretty woeful yesterday and were pushed off the ball far too easily.  Time to shake things up
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:01 am

toure was exceptional for us and i dont know whether he is recovering from an injury or what but he should have started yesterday. his organisation and leadership was what we needed, it would have been a tough game to launch sakho into. id have gone with toure and skrtel. agger could have played at left back or D.M.
toure and skrtel would be my choice. they played well together at the start of the season and will do it again.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:45 am

red till i die!! » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:01 am wrote:toure was exceptional for us and i dont know whether he is recovering from an injury or what but he should have started yesterday. his organisation and leadership was what we needed, it would have been a tough game to launch sakho into. id have gone with toure and skrtel. agger could have played at left back or D.M.
toure and skrtel would be my choice. they played well together at the start of the season and will do it again.

Agger + one for me. before the game I was saying Skrtel... I would however like to see Toure next to him to see how it looks.

Sahko for me hasn't shown enough to be considered over any of them...
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby metalhead » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:00 am

Would have loved to see Sakho yesterday being tested by Lukaku,  he gave us nightmares
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:03 am

metalhead » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:00 am wrote:Would have loved to see Sakho yesterday being tested by Lukaku,  he gave us nightmares

I thought Lukaku was shocking mate to be fair.

The lad had a nightmare for me.

Two good goals though and a few chances.

I've seen him play far better than that in games this season.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby metalhead » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:07 am

Stu the Red » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:03 am wrote:
metalhead » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:00 am wrote:Would have loved to see Sakho yesterday being tested by Lukaku,  he gave us nightmares

Our defenders had a nightmare against him too mate, didn't see one header being won by either Skrtel and Agger, I tried to count but couldn't and I've never seen Agger being so slow to react.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:35 am

metalhead » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:07 am wrote:
Stu the Red » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:03 am wrote:

Our defenders had a nightmare against him too mate, didn't see one header being won by either Skrtel and Agger, I tried to count but couldn't and I've never seen Agger being so slow to react.

although gerrard was supposed to be marking mirallas for their first goal if one of our defenders wins that initial ball into the box then that goal doesnt happen.
once a ball gets nodded down in your area and starts bouncing around then you are in trouble, thats why it`s so important to win the first header and to clear your lines.
their third was along similar lines, simple ball into the box and lukaku just out jumps johnson and flanagan (why skrtel wasnt marking lukaku i dont know).
i know it`s easy after the event but i think someone like sakho could have made a difference there saturday.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:43 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:35 am wrote:
although gerrard was supposed to be marking mirallas for their first goal if one of our defenders wins that initial ball into the box then that goal doesnt happen.
once a ball gets nodded down in your area and starts bouncing around then you are in trouble, thats why it`s so important to win the first header and to clear your lines.
their third was along similar lines, simple ball into the box and lukaku just out jumps johnson and flanagan (why skrtel wasnt marking lukaku i dont know).
i know it`s easy after the event but i think someone like sakho could have made a difference there saturday.

My point exactly. Sami would have never lost that header so the situation never arises in the first place to conceed the goal. I do however disagree on Sahko. I don't think the lad cuts the mustard what so ever and doubt he'd have made any positive contribution yesterday.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:48 am

It's a bit unfair to want Agger and Skrtel out because of yesterdays game. Although they were bad, we played against tough opposition. If, for example, we bench them for Toure and Sakho in our next game and they do better it wont be a fair judgment because they would be playing Hull.

I do however agree that Sakho should have played yesterday. We conceded two goals yesterday because we weren't tough enough on the high ball. Sakho would have made a big difference there IMO. I actually think that the first goal wouldn't have come if Sakho was challenging the cross instead of Skrtel.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:18 am

Toure has to come back in. Agger is/has/ and always struggles with the fundamentals of his position - defending. Pi$$ weak in the air,  out muscled when marking and tends to lose his man.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:13 pm

its impossible to say what sakho could or couldnt have done in that game. that isnt a match where you throw a lad who barely looks up for the league into. yeah he might have won a header or 2 during the game but it would have been throwing him to the dogs imo.
we needed organisation in that defence and without toure it was missing. some of the marking was terrible, for lukaku's 1st we had at least 7 players in the box ball watching while it was being pinged about. for his second i cant believe flanagan was the one left jumping with him, no wonder he was able to get so much power into it. toure is vocal and organises those around him and thats what we missed on saturday, someone to keep us on our toes.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:57 pm

red till i die!! » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:13 pm wrote:its impossible to say what sakho could or couldnt have done in that game. that isnt a match where you throw a lad who barely looks up for the league into. yeah he might have won a header or 2 during the game but it would have been throwing him to the dogs imo.
we needed organisation in that defence and without toure it was missing. some of the marking was terrible, for lukaku's 1st we had at least 7 players in the box ball watching while it was being pinged about. for his second i cant believe flanagan was the one left jumping with him, no wonder he was able to get so much power into it. toure is vocal and organises those around him and thats what we missed on saturday, someone to keep us on our toes.

It was actually Johnson marking him... then Flanno seen Johnson Sh*t out and clearly thought if I don't challenge him no-one will... Flanno was never going to win that header as you rightly say but at least he put the effort in the challenge him. What the f*ck one of the centre halves wasn't marking him for I'll never understand. He's their biggest and strongest player, Distin and Lukaku should have been marked by Agger and Skrtel. Either that or Agger and Skrtel should have marked zonally with the midfield doing a man marking Job allowing us to double up on players in the danger area's.

Definately think we need to back to zonal marking and get in two defenders who have the quality to make it work.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion