Central defenders - Which one?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:45 am

How about Micheal Dawson ? He good , right ?
LiverpoolMadman

Postby the great one » Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:52 am

LiverpoolMadman wrote:How about Micheal Dawson ? He good , right ?

Gone to play european football out spurs  :D i liked him but he is not one of the best centre half in the fizzy pop league and get caught out by better players.We already have Raven and Whitbread so we don't really need him  :)
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Hamza » Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:31 pm

We could get him off spurs seeing as they have like 5 central defenders daenport naybet gardner king dawson and huddlestone
Hamza

Postby el_stinger » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:07 pm

We've already got our English born Centre Back. The Top 3 clubs have 1, so do we. Youve answered your own question mate
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:52 am

Jeez what a difference six months makes. I suggested Ledley King about 4 months ago and made the suggestion that if we could pick him up for around 12 million then he would be a top buy. My suggestion that he would cost more than Gallas was met with hoots of derision. Where are they now I wonder?
I know one or two on here don't rate him overly which is entirely fair enough, but to me he would be an absolutely fantastic player for us. Pace, power, strength and undeveloped potential mean that at the price mentioned he would be a snip. Sooner or later, if we are going to challenge the big 3 as they have become, we are going to have to go in to the market properly and without fear and buy big-time players. No gambles, no unknowns just proven quality Premiership players.
At least in Rafa we have a manager who when he has spent big sofar has brought in top quality (I know some remain unconvinced by Luis Garcia but you will be in time). King is the central defender for me, I feel we are going to have to find at least one central midfielder as well. I think Stevie is gone and have for some time. We are going to need a ballwinner who can play a bit. Someone who gives it 100% every single game, chips in with the odd goal. Anyone know if Thomas Graveson is happy at Madrid? Just a thought....
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:55 am

bigmick wrote:Anyone know if Thomas Graveson is happy at Madrid? Just a thought....

that would rile up the bluenoses no end.  :D
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:07 am

That would be merely a bi-product of the signing numero uno, an incidental and not the main motive for signing him :;): Would be funny though for the genuine scousers who no-doubt have to put up with mirthless ribbing on a regular basis.
Whether he is the answer or not I don't know. What I do know though is that if Stevie does go, we are going to need a Keanne/Vierra/Makeleli type figure to give balance and stability to the team. Where are the Macmahons, the Sounesses, the Jimmy Case's these days? Have we in our ranks got a , don't grab the sick bucket, Phil Neville type defender who we can convert into a midfielder. A Quentin Fortune? Is it Van Bommel? I don't follow European football anything like as much as the guys on here so I haven't a clue but thankfully I'm sure rafa has.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:29 pm

bigmick wrote:Jeez what a difference six months makes. I suggested Ledley King about 4 months ago and made the suggestion that if we could pick him up for around 12 million then he would be a top buy. My suggestion that he would cost more than Gallas was met with hoots of derision. Where are they now I wonder?
I know one or two on here don't rate him overly which is entirely fair enough, but to me he would be an absolutely fantastic player for us. Pace, power, strength and undeveloped potential mean that at the price mentioned he would be a snip. Sooner or later, if we are going to challenge the big 3 as they have become, we are going to have to go in to the market properly and without fear and buy big-time players. No gambles, no unknowns just proven quality Premiership players.
At least in Rafa we have a manager who when he has spent big sofar has brought in top quality (I know some remain unconvinced by Luis Garcia but you will be in time). King is the central defender for me, I feel we are going to have to find at least one central midfielder as well. I think Stevie is gone and have for some time. We are going to need a ballwinner who can play a bit. Someone who gives it 100% every single game, chips in with the odd goal. Anyone know if Thomas Graveson is happy at Madrid? Just a thought....

In my view that is a great post. King is undeveloped potential - GOLD. I do not truly in my heart of hearts beleive that Carra is going to be a world class centre back, he is a fine player and will be the beating heart of the team for the next few years but i think he needs to play with someone of a higher stature - he is the brides maid and never the bride and prefers it that way.

But that is just my opinion and i expect a sledging therin as he has been our best player this season.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:34 pm

bigmick wrote:I feel we are going to have to find at least one central midfielder as well. I think Stevie is gone and have for some time. We are going to need a ballwinner who can play a bit. Someone who gives it 100% every single game, chips in with the odd goal. Anyone know if Thomas Graveson is happy at Madrid? Just a thought....

van bommel? ???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion