Gerrard to play central midfield

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The Manhattan Project » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:36 am

Generally, most opinions from Chelsea FC and Chelsea FC fans should be discounted, because they temporarily live in a billionaire's playground where normal rules of reason, logic and rationality do not apply.

It's like winning the London Marathon, despite the fact you used a mountain bike for most of the course.

You may have won, but you know it's hollow and fake.

BTW, before any Chelsea fan comes here and accuses me of being "bitter", keep in mind that we won 18 league titles and five European Cups, seven League cups, 483 Charity Shields, three UEFA cups and seven FA Cups without the aide of a Russian oligarch.

If we had one, we would have been so powerful, LFC would have won the Premiership, FA Cup, European Cup, League Cup, Grand National and the Eurovision Song Contest all in one season.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:37 am

s@int wrote:I had to laugh, but it was tinged with guilt as I hate to make fun of the mentally retarded.   :laugh:

boggles the mind doesn't it? Look at the trophies Deco has won. And saying Frank will surpass Zidane's creative output... i mean, wtf??

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:02 am

s@int wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:
s@int wrote:I honestly think that when Momo is a bit older and has more experience and discipline he will drop back and become a top class (if not World class) defensive midfielder. At the moment he has too much energy and stamina to be "wasted" in that position. A lot will depend on the requirements of the club and how much football "intelligence" he has, because although Hamann made it look easy it is one of the most demanding positions, requiring concentration and great reading of the game.

I cant see that, he'll be more of a Vieira type player than a holding one.

I think people just use that comparison because hes big and black and likes to tackle. He is nothing like a young Viera. Viera had much more natural abilities, a wide array of passing skills, ability on the ball and vision, but was never as mobile or as great an athlete as Momo. Momo is not in the same class as Viera as a central midfielder and never will be. As a defensive midfielder Momo may have the tools to become even better than Viera.

I used Vieira as a comparison and said he was a similar type of player. Momo very much reminds me of Vieria in that respect when Vieria was at Highbury, but Momo is never a Makelele type of player.

Amen to that.
66-1112520797

Postby mattylfc » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:13 am

I felt Gerrard was very disciplined on saturday, im not sure how anyone can say that he left Alonso exposed at times, if anything he was a bit too disciplined as he was hardly steaming forward trying to attack like he has in the past. Both Alonso and Gerrard had decent games and did well retrieving the ball.  Offensively they both tried to get things going but with our two wingers and Bellamy not turning up to the game it was always hard.  Alonso showed his ability in retreiving the ball and finding the yellow shirts but it was Gerrard who was the one trying to play the final ball.  This was highlighted by Gerrards superb pass that allowed Bellamy to chest down to Kuyt who should have done better.  He later put in a great cross for Gonzalez who volleyed to the front post.  I felt that Gerrard and Alonso overall were a good pairing and on this occasion you could look no further than our wingers when trying to point the finger.

With regards to whether Gerrard should play in the centre or on the right.  This will not be fully answered until we find someone to compete and try to sustain a place on the right side.  Pennant is simply not good enough and until we replace him Gerrard will have to play there.  Our best answer in the short term would be to have Garcia on the right (when fit again) with Alonso and Gerrard in the middle ans personally i would have Riise on the left of midfield.
mattylfc

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:59 am

Gerrard should play where the manager tells him to, period.

But I'd put money on it, that if Rafa played him in CM constantly and said his best position was there, most of the people on this forum would agree with him and say the same thing. But Rafa is saying for the good of the team he's better used wide, therefore most of the people on this forum agree with him that his best position is Right mid.  :nod
66-1112520797

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 am

Anyone notice how much better Gerrard played after Xabi went off. I dont think Xabi and Gerrard work very well as a central pair. I cant understand why not because you would think they would be great together.
account deleted by request

Postby red37 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:45 am

s@int wrote:Anyone notice how much better Gerrard played after Xabi went off. I dont think Xabi and Gerrard work very well as a central pair. I cant understand why not because you would think they would be great together.

interesting point m8. i was thinking the same thing. (but thats two central midfielders he apparantly has difficulty dovetailing with)  ???  Cant be right....

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:49 am

red37 wrote:
s@int wrote:Anyone notice how much better Gerrard played after Xabi went off. I dont think Xabi and Gerrard work very well as a central pair. I cant understand why not because you would think they would be great together.

interesting point m8. i was thinking the same thing. (but thats two central midfielders he apparantly has difficulty dovetailing with)  ???  Cant be right....

I thought Zenden had a decent game for once. Maybe the new dream partnership Zenden and Gerrard?  :D
Last edited by account deleted by request on Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby 1154 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:48 am

Postby Red_lass » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:06 am

s@int wrote:
red37 wrote:

I thought Zenden had a decent game for once. Maybe the new dream partnership Zenden and Gerrard?  :D

perhaps he loves the farmiliarity of it all. attacking defending and everything else in between.  :D

i just think alonso and gerrard are abit similar to each other. when gerrard plays alonso has to sit deep so kinda curd his playmaker ability. he has to worry abt the opposition coming at him. with momo he has the license to pick out players while momo do all the dirty work. well thats just my theory... correct me if i'm wrong ...  :blush:
Red_lass
Red_lass

Postby mattylfc » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:43 am

I thought Gerrard and Alonso played well together personally.  Gerrards goal was quality, three great passes followed by a cool finish.  Gerrard looked much more like his old self last night.
mattylfc

Postby Redman in wales » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:20 am

from .tv

GERRARD: I'M CLOSE TO MY BEST
Paul Eaton 23 November 2006 
  Steven Gerrard believes he is close to recapturing his best form after a man of the match display against PSV Eindhoven last night. 
Gerrard struck the game's first goal after 65 minutes to send the Reds on their way to a 2-0 victory which guaranteed top spot in Group C.

"I've been working hard in training to get my form back, it's not altogether there yet but it's getting better," said the Liverpool skipper, who revelled in a central midfield role.

"It goes without saying that I like to play in the middle. It's my favourite position and it's where I like to play.

"But I've got to do a job for the team and if the manager wants me to play elsewhere I will do the best I can.

----------------

when he says: 'It goes without saying that I like to play in the middle. It's my favourite position and it's where I like to play' - we all knew this, but when he puts it like that its alot more definate
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion