Central defence - who should play?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:11 pm

Been wondering about our defence...we've got four good centre backs now, but which pairing is the best?

For me, Agger and Sakho  represent the best balance, but what does everyone else think?
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:17 pm

Logically speaking I would agreed with 7 Kewell... however, when Skrtle is on form, he is better than Sakho... but Skrtle is prone to making screw ups...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:20 pm

maguskwt » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:17 pm wrote:Logically speaking I would agreed with 7 Kewell... however, when Skrtle is on form, he is better than Sakho... but Skrtle is prone to making screw ups...

Skittles is playing well, but I don't rate him to honest. Never really have...in fact, if a big offer came in January (12+ million) I'd let him go :Oo:
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:22 pm

Quote hard to judge as we haven't seen sakho in the centre of a back 4 yet. spent a lot of money on him, would like to see him be given ago.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:23 pm

Agger and Skrtel at the moment.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Basil » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:47 pm

It's gotta be Agger and Skrtel for me as well, I don't get to watch the matches live but I can't believe the hype about Sakho. I don't like to criticise our players and I always look for the positives but to me Sakho looks the comlete opposite of what everybody's saying about him. Comfortable on the ball, composed, fast, good passer - sorry but I see the opposite of all those.

i think Toure has been a good signing and is a good backup to to the main two but I honestly think the money we paid for Sakho would have been much better spent further up the pitch. I really hope I'm wrong but that's the way I see it.
Basil

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:17 pm

skrtel has been excellent since getting his place back and is undroppable when in this form. agger would be my pairing but i feel bad for toure who has also been excellent when called on.
sakho would be my 4th choice tbh.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Octsky » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:36 am

red till i die!! » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:17 pm wrote:skrtel has been excellent since getting his place back and is undroppable when in this form. agger would be my pairing but i feel bad for toure who has also been excellent when called on.
sakho would be my 4th choice tbh.

skertel is playing like there is no tmr.
agger is our best ball player in the back.
sakho still is mistakes prone.
toure is steady as a rock.

base on form, our best back 2 imo will be agger and skertel.
although i think mid term our best back 2 imo will be agger and toure.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby Rush Job » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:33 am

Agger and skrtel for me and like other posters right now i would put sakho in 4th place
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:11 am

Agger is one of the first names on the team sheet for me, I don't think there are many Central Defenders in the PL better. Great left foot, brave, composed and as good distributer. Of all the defenders we have, he fits in best with the style of play.

As to partners Skittles gets the nod on current form but Toure is a very capable partner as well. I am still not convinced by Sakho, looks like there is a player in there but he needs to calm down, stop diving in and learn to read the game better.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:20 pm

Agger and Skrtel at the moment but longer term I would say Agger and Sakho.

I've not been impressed by Sakho up to now but there is definitely a quality strong CB in there somewhere, we just need to encourage it out of him. I think he would benefit playing alongside Kolo in a back four to learn from him and gain experience of the English before eventually lining up alongside Agger.

Like others, I think Skrtel has been immense this season but looking back over the past four seasons it's clear to see that he blows hot and cold more than an electric heater and if it came down to one of the four having to go in the summer he would be my no.1 candidate.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:14 pm

Skyrtel is having a good season but he's always likely to have a shocker or two.

Agger is a must then either Toure or Skyrtel. Don't think it matters to much.

We desperately need to go out and spend some wonga on a decent centre half that will improve the side in this area.

Unfotunately we've wasted £17,000,000 on Sahko who for me, isn't better than any of the other centre halfs at the club.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby jacdaniel » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:52 pm

Id go with Agger / Toure for now. 
I hope Sakho steps up though and takes the place off of Toure.  And Llori shines in the cups to provide some competition.
Then we could have 4 potentially good centre halves.

Never really have much faith in Skrtel though, even though he is playing well at the minute.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC1990 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:59 pm

Agger and Sakho although Skrtel has been playing well.

Agger is great with the ball at his feet and Sakho Strong as feck perfect combo

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:01 am

maypaxvobiscum » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:23 pm wrote:Agger and Skrtel at the moment.

:nod
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion