Central defenders - Which one?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby crazyhorse » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:29 pm

Look at the top three in the league at the moment - you will see that all of them have an international standard - ENGLISH central defender. Chelsea have John Terry, Arsenal Sol Campbell and Manure Rio Ferdinand.
As much as we hate them, they have squads that are superior to ours particulary in defence. Our midfield and front line when all players are fit is very nearly there but a rock is required - and the best for us is a proper traditional English Centre Back. Sammi Hyypia fills this role now, and he has done very well but i am sorry to say i think his very best days are gone.
For me there is only one candidate, and strenuous efforts must be made to sign him in the summer even though he is going to cost over 15 million. This player should be number one on Rafas wish list, before filling any other position.

LEDLEY KING

Ledley King would be one of the vital missing pieces, and partnered with Carra we would have the best central defence partership in the country.
Last edited by crazyhorse on Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:58 pm

Good shout.

Sami is past it and king is the best centre back in england outside of the top 3.

To be honest I doubt he'd be up for it.  I can see him 'doing a sol' and moving to arsenal some time in the future
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:03 pm

crazyhorse wrote:Look at the top three in the league at the moment - you will see that all of them have an international standard - ENGLISH central defender. Chelsea have John Terry, Arsenal Sol Campbell and Manure Rio Ferdinand.
As much as we hate them, they have squads that are superior to ours particulary in defence. Our midfield and front line when all players are fit is very nearly there but a rock is required - and the best for us is a proper traditional English Centre Back. Sammi Hyypia fills this role now, and he has done very well but i am sorry to say i think his very best days are gone.
For me there is only one candidate, and strenuous efforts must be made to sign him in the summer even though he is going to cost over 15 million. This player should be number one on Rafas wish list, before filling any other position.

LEDLEY KING

Ledley King would be one of the vital missing pieces, and partnered with Carra we would have the best central defence partership in the country.

he would be great to sign, but the cost?  ??? maybe 10 mill would be understandable, but 15 is alot.
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:10 pm

Agree with the idea, and while I would love Ledley King to take over in that position he'd simply be too expensive. Someone in a similar mould is essential although I think we'll have to look further afield to find him.

Just watching the match tonight and especially Heinze. That's what I thought we'd bought when Josemi came in:(
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:29 pm

Ledley king will be an awesome partner for carra..... But at what price ?
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:43 pm

I do not think price matters. When it comes to winning there is no price.

I use Brian Clough as an example - he was the first man to spend 1 million pounds on a player. This was at the time greeted with dismay from the media and supporters alike. Cloughs response was that he had bought the best centre forward available - That season Francis scored the winner in the European cup final. Clough also broke the bank to buy Shilton who was at the time the second best keeper around behind Clem.

Liverpool in its history has never shied away from spending good money on the right player - the fee paid for John Barnes was high and there are other examples. Ledley King is the best around, Rio Ferdinand cost manure 28 Million and he looks a bargain even at that money. You cannot put a price on winning -  i just hope we get some investment from somewhere.
Last edited by crazyhorse on Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:55 pm

King has made a lot of mistakes that have lead to Tottenham conceeding goals, he's overrated,overhyped and overpriced.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby crazyhorse » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:57 pm

He is always going to look bad in a poor side.  Tottenham have always shipped a lot of goals - Sol Campbell looked fragile at times also.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:59 pm

Wrong....Ledley king is holding up the spurs defence like how carra is doing for us. If we get new owners, we should get Ledley King.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:01 pm

That was exactly my point but better put - thanks!.
Last edited by crazyhorse on Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:01 pm

King=Premiership Class not World Class.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby crazyhorse » Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:03 pm

Correct. But only for now. At the right club he WILL be world class. Manure and ****** have both improved Ferdinand and Campbell as players.
Put King amongst our squad and he will get better as a player.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:26 pm

If King wasn't so overpriced then I wouldn't have a problem with it but his price tag is too damn high, he's not worth that much. He has plenty more to learn and signing him for 10 million and hoping that he will become a world class player is a risk.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby banana » Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:59 pm

If we only needed ONE player, it could have been a good option to sign a quality player in the 10-15 million pound category. But we need at least 5 players, probably 7-8 players to mount a serious title challenge. So we have to sign playerd in the 2-6 million pound category. It is that simple.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby L-type » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:43 pm

well at the risk of devoiding this thread of any intellect and filling it with more stevie g bullsh*t, I'll give it a go.....

Hyypia is getting too old, we NEED someone.  Ledley King would be a great replacement, but again because he's british he is overpirced and overhyped.  Now thats not to say the man's not a class act.  Rafa has shown that he prefers spanish players who are relatively unknown, making Ledley King not the number #1

Where we would get money is through the sale of Gerrard, which is becoming more imminent every day, and frankly i don't care about him anymore.  Posssibly pick up aimar who is rotting away on the bench, and NOT get owen as we have enough strikers already, sorry that this post seems a lil rushed towards the end, but i'm late
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion