Who's your favourite all time player

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby Fowler_E7 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:31 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:05 pm wrote:i see the club is doing another one of those`100 players who shook the kop` straw poll`s.
the last one was awful tbh, robbie fowler and jamie carragher have been excellent servants to the club but they shouldnt be anywhere near the top 10 and how the hell was jan molby at 16 when terry mcdermott was at 38 and steve mcmahon 42!
jimmy case, a member of our greatest ever midfield and a 3 time european cup winner was at 45 but davey fairclough, who struggled to get into the side, was at 18?
work that one out!
i would have hoped liverpool fans knew their history better than that.

why shouldn't Fowler have been 10? hes universally loved by all fans and is an idol
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:25 pm

Fowler_E7 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:31 am wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:05 pm wrote:i see the club is doing another one of those`100 players who shook the kop` straw poll`s.
the last one was awful tbh, robbie fowler and jamie carragher have been excellent servants to the club but they shouldnt be anywhere near the top 10 and how the hell was jan molby at 16 when terry mcdermott was at 38 and steve mcmahon 42!
jimmy case, a member of our greatest ever midfield and a 3 time european cup winner was at 45 but davey fairclough, who struggled to get into the side, was at 18?
work that one out!

why shouldn't Fowler have been 10? hes universally loved by all fans and is an idol

because we`ve had players who have contributed more to this club than he has.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Fowler_E7 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:44 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:25 pm wrote:
Fowler_E7 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:31 am wrote:
work that one out!

because we`ve had players who have contributed more to this club than he has.

no doubt he didn't win that much compared to the great players of the 70's and 80's but based on individual talent, surely there arnt that many better players than Fowler? I'm only 27 so i didn't see the great Liverpool teams but most older reds who ive spoken to always rate Fowler very highly.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:53 pm

Fowler_E7

no doubt he didn't win that much compared to the great players of the 70's and 80's but based on individual talent, surely there arnt that many better players than Fowler? I'm only 27 so i didn't see the great Liverpool teams but most older reds who ive spoken to always rate Fowler very highly.

as i said mate fowler was a terrific player but the likes of ian rush and roger hunt scored twice as many goals as he did, those 2 scored at a rate of 1 goal every 2 games for over a decade, and those 2 delivered in high pressure situations like title run in`s and european cup matches etc. then there are old timers like gordon hodgson (hodgson scored more league goals for this club than ian rush but he never gets a mention)
then you have got true greats like liddell (although he was a winger who played in poor liverpool teams he scored more goals for us than fowler), keegan, dalglish, souness, gerrard, barnes etc who should be in everyone`s top 10.
fowler, as good as he was, would struggle to make it into my top 20.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:00 pm

I am 33 so didnt get to see so many legends

My top players are Gerrard and Fowler

The team late 80's with Barnes Beardsley Houghton and Aldo etc was just as i started getting proper into footy.
But when i started going the match Fowler was the man, love him to bits.

There have been better but before my time.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:41 pm

Ben Patrick » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:00 pm wrote:I am 33 so didnt get to see so many legends

The team late 80's with Barnes Beardsley Houghton and Aldo etc was just as i started getting proper into footy.

gerrard is a true great, i`m one of those people who thinks the players of yesteryear were a lot better than these modern players but if i`m honest with myself even i`d have to admit that gerrard is probably the best player i`ve ever seen in a red shirt.
i dont think no other player in our history, bar maybe liddell, has put in a decade of top quality performances for this club like gerrard has.
in a hundred years time when people watch grainy images of gerrards goals and read about how he turned down the chance to become the best paid footballer on the planet to stay with his hometown club there will be quite a few tears of pride shed over that lad.
phenominal player and i doubt i`ll see another like him in my life time again, he had the lot, he even had genuine pace when he was younger, in his prime he was probably the quickest center mid i`ve ever seen.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:49 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:41 pm wrote:
Ben Patrick » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:00 pm wrote:I am 33 so didnt get to see so many legends

gerrard is a true great, i`m one of those people who thinks the players of yesteryear were a lot better than these modern players but if i`m honest with myself even i`d have to admit that gerrard is probably the best player i`ve ever seen in a red shirt.
i dont think no other player in our history, bar maybe liddell, has put in a decade of top quality performances for this club like gerrard has.
in a hundred years time when people watch grainy images of gerrards goals and read about how he turned down the chance to become the best paid footballer on the planet to stay with his hometown club there will be quite a few tears of pride shed over that lad.
phenominal player and i doubt i`ll see another like him in my life time again, he had the lot, he even had genuine pace when he was younger, in his prime he was probably the quickest center mid i`ve ever seen.

Great post mate, couldnt argue with that at all.

I think we tend to appreciate players more once they are gone.

I am actually very lucky, i've actually played against Gerrard a few times when we were both kids.   :)
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby nutz4redz » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:18 pm

Ian Rush
nutz4redz
LFC newBie

Postby Dalglish » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:51 am

Ermmmm Kenny Dalglish ;)

Followed closely by Graeme Souness, Jan Molby, Billy Liddel and Ian Rush :)

Of the modern era Stevie Gerrard and Robbie Fowler and an outside shout for Xabi Alonso !
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:01 pm

To many to list.

If I had to pick an all time favourate player (not the one I think is the best) there would be two... Fowler and Hyypia.

Loved what they were about, totally different characters, Fowler was just off the cuff, cheeky and generally a belting player. Sami, absolute professional who took no Sh*t and let nothing bother him. Both excellent players, seeing Fowler making a come back then scoring his first goal after his return was f*cking immense.

Also not ashamed to admit, when Sami left I cried :down:

:D
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:48 pm

Jan Molby Hands down for me ,admittedly there are players who have contributed a hell of a lot more and collated more trophies ,but Molby was
just grace personified, and when ever he done anything on a football field it was done with understated brilliance .

I used to watch every move he made on the pitch ,from his delightful control in bringing a ball down out of the air ,to an effortless 50 yard pass
pinged up the pitch with the precision of a sniper ,the man played football with an arrogance that all great players possess. When the Dane was
orchestrating our midfield our football was mesmerising to watch,and I just love how he made his genius look so unexacting.

Xabi Alonso was also a player who in his time at Liverpool made me reminiscent of when Jan Molby used to grace Anfield with such finesse. 
It has to be Molby every time though ,although as a kid during my stint in the Boy's pen it would have to be McDermott ,we all f*cking loved
him in there,and that was from a time when football players were proper fuck off hero's.
Last edited by RED BEERGOGGLES on Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:51 pm

Gerrard.

But over the years I have had favourites, who for some despite leaving still invoke good memories when I watch back goals or performances.

Redknapp, Owen, Torres, Alonso
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:54 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:48 pm wrote:Jan Molby Hands down for me ,admittedly there are players who have contributed a hell of a lot more and collated more trophies ,but Molby was
just grace personified, and when ever he done anything on a football field it was done with understated brilliance .

I used to watch every move he made on the pitch ,from his delightful control in bringing a ball down out of the air ,to an effortless 50 yard pass
pinged up the pitch with the precision of a sniper ,the man played football with an arrogance that all great players possess. When the Dane was
orchestrating our midfield our football was mesmerising to watch,and I just love how he made his genius look so unexacting.

Xabi Alonso was also a player who in his time at Liverpool made me reminiscent of when Jan Molby used to grace Anfield with such finesse. 
It has to be Molby every time though ,although as a kid during my stint in the Boy's pen it would have to be McDermott ,we all f*cking loved
him in there,and that was from a time when football players were proper fuck off hero's.

Wouldn't have anything to do with fattys sticking together would it?

:rasp
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:17 pm

StuYesThatStu » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:54 pm wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:48 pm wrote:Jan Molby Hands down for me ,admittedly there are players who have contributed a hell of a lot more and collated more trophies ,but Molby was

:laugh: Root !!!

Listen mate , my wife can detect the lump an undigested pork pie leaves,if your lying underneath a f*cking duvet  :D
Molby must have had a very understanding Wife. ...As for why I opted for Big Jan,its more to do with his incomparable
intelligence with the ball at his feet than his addiction to Custard creams.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:42 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:17 pm wrote:
StuYesThatStu » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:54 pm wrote:

:laugh: Root !!!

Listen mate , my wife can detect the lump an undigested pork pie leaves,if your lying underneath a f*cking duvet  :D
Molby must have had a very understanding Wife. ...As for why I opted for Big Jan,its more to do with his incomparable
intelligence with the ball at his feet than his addiction to Custard creams.

Ahh yes, inteligence... something I lack :laugh:
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge