Who's your favourite all time player

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby JC_81 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:19 pm

Fowler for me - for personality and love for the club on top of talent.  Although I still think (controversially) the best striker we've had is Torres (for a couple of seasons before injury and a bad attitude ruined him).  Between 2008-2010 I think he was the best striker in the world and despite some of the great forwards we've had - Rush, Dalglish, Fowler, Hunt, Toshack, Keegan, Owen, Suarez etc, I don't think any of them were the best in the world in their position in their pomp.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<
 
Posts: 5292
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2003 9:57 pm

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:35 pm

JC_81 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:19 pm wrote:Fowler for me - for personality and love for the club on top of talent.  Although I still think (controversially) the best striker we've had is Torres (for a couple of seasons before injury and a bad attitude ruined him).  Between 2008-2010 I think he was the best striker in the world and despite some of the great forwards we've had - Rush, Dalglish, Fowler, Hunt, Toshack, Keegan, Owen, Suarez etc, I don't think any of them were the best in the world in their position in their pomp.


Owen at his best? I'd say there's an arguement for Owen or Suarez...

The only one at the time better than Owen was probably the brazilian Ronaldo who was half decent in his day :;):

Suarez for me is only topped as a player (maybe not a goalscorer) by Messi and Ronaldo in the world at the moment and lets face it, those two are complete freaks. We're talking about the best player ever in my opinion and another lad who at practically any other time in the past would have been the best player of his generation.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member
 
Posts: 2437
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:25 pm

Postby devaney » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:28 am

I'm going to keep this to Liverpool players. Emlyn Hughes and Ian Callaghan are right up there for me. Stevie Heighway was also a bit special. Shit I'm showing my age. Souness was the beast you always needed in midfield.How much would those four be worth today?
JUST A REMINDER !!
Net Spend since 2016:
LFC £65m (last 6 years £131m)
Everton £186m (last 6 years £250m)
Arsenal £235m
Spurs £125m
Chelsea £201m
Man City £432m !!!!  (last 6 years £565m)
Man United £353m !! (last 6 years £485m)
devaney
LFC Super Member
 
Posts: 4296
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:12 am
Location: Liverpool

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:32 pm

devaney » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:28 am wrote:I'm going to keep this to Liverpool players. Emlyn Hughes and Ian Callaghan are right up there for me. Stevie Heighway was also a bit special. Shit I'm showing my age. Souness was the beast you always needed in midfield.How much would those four be worth today?


***** ell...

How old are you? ???

:D
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member
 
Posts: 2437
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:25 pm

Postby supersub » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:00 pm

Lucky to watch nearly every game King Kenny played...it was a joy
that period had bucket loads of players to admire
Alonso was a treasure that is sorely missed...it's a shame we never had the owners to back Rafa when he wanted to build a team befitting such a maestro
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
User avatar
supersub
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 7157
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:38 pm
Location: knackers yard

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:11 pm

supersub » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:00 pm wrote:Lucky to watch nearly every game King Kenny played...it was a joy
that period had bucket loads of players to admire
Alonso was a treasure that is sorely missed...it's a shame we never had the owners to back Rafa when he wanted to build a team befitting such a maestro


Benitez had millions to spend and wasted it. Bad signings and bad sales.

And we don't need Alonso anymore, we've got Lucas. :D
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member
 
Posts: 2437
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:25 pm

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:19 pm

StuYesThatStu » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:11 pm wrote:
supersub » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:00 pm wrote:Lucky to watch nearly every game King Kenny played...it was a joy
that period had bucket loads of players to admire
Alonso was a treasure that is sorely missed...it's a shame we never had the owners to back Rafa when he wanted to build a team befitting such a maestro


Benitez had millions to spend and wasted it. Bad signings and bad sales.

And we don't need Alonso anymore, we've got Lucas. :D

Today Gerrard pretty much performs the role that Alonso had when here.
User avatar
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<
 
Posts: 6074
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:36 pm
Location: West Sussex

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:22 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:19 pm wrote:
StuYesThatStu » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:11 pm wrote:
supersub » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:00 pm wrote:Lucky to watch nearly every game King Kenny played...it was a joy
that period had bucket loads of players to admire
Alonso was a treasure that is sorely missed...it's a shame we never had the owners to back Rafa when he wanted to build a team befitting such a maestro


Benitez had millions to spend and wasted it. Bad signings and bad sales.

And we don't need Alonso anymore, we've got Lucas. :D

Today Gerrard pretty much performs the role that Alonso had when here.


Think thats a big far fetched to be honest, Alonso tactically is far superior to Gerrard.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member
 
Posts: 2437
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:25 pm

Postby supersub » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:24 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:19 pm wrote:
StuYesThatStu » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:11 pm wrote:
supersub » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:00 pm wrote:Lucky to watch nearly every game King Kenny played...it was a joy
that period had bucket loads of players to admire
Alonso was a treasure that is sorely missed...it's a shame we never had the owners to back Rafa when he wanted to build a team befitting such a maestro


Benitez had millions to spend and wasted it. Bad signings and bad sales.

And we don't need Alonso anymore, we've got Lucas. :D

Today Gerrard pretty much performs the role that Alonso had when here.



Gerrard and Alonso are chalk and cheese
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
User avatar
supersub
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 7157
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:38 pm
Location: knackers yard

Postby supersub » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:28 pm

StuYesThatStu » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:11 pm wrote:
supersub » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:00 pm wrote:Lucky to watch nearly every game King Kenny played...it was a joy
that period had bucket loads of players to admire
Alonso was a treasure that is sorely missed...it's a shame we never had the owners to back Rafa when he wanted to build a team befitting such a maestro


Benitez had millions to spend and wasted it. Bad signings and bad sales.

And we don't need Alonso anymore, we've got Lucas. :D



just to re-iterate the same old same old....Benitez had to sell to buy....and I didn't realise you bracketed Lucas in the same mould as Alonso :oh:
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
User avatar
supersub
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 7157
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:38 pm
Location: knackers yard

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:39 pm

supersub » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:28 pm wrote:
StuYesThatStu » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:11 pm wrote:
supersub » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:00 pm wrote:Lucky to watch nearly every game King Kenny played...it was a joy
that period had bucket loads of players to admire
Alonso was a treasure that is sorely missed...it's a shame we never had the owners to back Rafa when he wanted to build a team befitting such a maestro


Benitez had millions to spend and wasted it. Bad signings and bad sales.

And we don't need Alonso anymore, we've got Lucas. :D



just to re-iterate the same old same old....Benitez had to sell to buy....and I didn't realise you bracketed Lucas in the same mould as Alonso :oh:


So because he had to "sell to buy" (myth) that makes it ok to buy Sh*t players? That makes it ok to let players like Steven Warnock leave for buttons and wasting money on players like Dossena as a replacement? One of plenty of poor decisions made at the club by management over the years.

Benitez was an arrogant stuck up ***** who got canned after he'd ran his course. Had he continued in the same way he started over here he'd have been a legend, unfortunately the personality transplant he recieved during the summer leading upto his third season lost him alot of friends. From there on he was never going to succeed. Glad he's gone.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member
 
Posts: 2437
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:25 pm

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:00 pm

Gerrard and Alonso in 2007 were chalk and cheese, nowadays with Gerrard's role being less scoring box to box supremo and more the team metronome who controls the game tempo and dictates play. Compare Alonso's role and style of 2007 and Gerrard's today and they look very similar.
User avatar
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<
 
Posts: 6074
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:36 pm
Location: West Sussex

Postby supersub » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:04 pm

It was to the detriment of the club that Benitez wasn't given the full support he needed with regards to the transfer market....the buying and procuring of the best players starts in the spring...Rafa had to wait till the a£$e end of the summer when he was allowed to shop at the end of day sales......but it is another debate that will never be resolved because haters and bitters will always be haters and bitters instead of analysing the evidence set before them...
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
User avatar
supersub
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 7157
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:38 pm
Location: knackers yard

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:05 pm

anyone who gives benitez stick for what he achieved here plainly hasnt got a clue. 2 CL finals in 3 years and only just being pipped to the title by a united side with a front 3 of ronaldo, rooney and tevez is an amazing achievement, especially considering the mess he inherited.
we beat that united side home and away that season too.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member
 
Posts: 10683
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:54 pm
Location: Liverpool

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:38 pm

StuYesThatStu » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:39 pm wrote:Benitez was an arrogant stuck up ***** who got canned after he'd ran his course. Had he continued in the same way he started over here he'd have been a legend, unfortunately the personality transplant he recieved during the summer leading upto his third season lost him alot of friends. From there on he was never going to succeed. Glad he's gone.


I knew you could visit Rampton ,but I never knew they sold season tickets.   :wwww
Image
User avatar
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<
 
Posts: 8239
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:03 pm
Location: Liverpool

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

  • Advertisement
Online Shop Builder Sell online and/or ePOS Till System sell in-store ShopTill-e provides you everything you need... With ShopTill-e you can sell everywhere it's a true Multichannel Retailing system!