Summer signings - Who?

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby gaz31 » Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:58 pm

U MISSED IT SSUB!!!!!!!! :)  :D
When you get the ball, I want you to beat a couple of men and smash the ball into the net, just the same way you used to at Bury," said Shankly. Lindsay replied: "But Boss that wasn't me, it was Bobby Kerr." Shankly turned to Bob Paisley and said: "Christ Bob, we've signed the wrong player."
gaz31
LFC Elite Member

Postby supersub » Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:27 am

never mind I'll hold my glass up and salute a belated birthday cheer.congrats!
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby jaypap » Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:39 pm

well gaz
maybe u should go down to anfield and ask gh to have a run...32 isnt old, like u said...i know ive thought about it even though every time i bend my knee i worry about if i can bend it back....
maybe im just a hack
sorry ahak
i know ur the original!!!!!!!!

u know lads
i have a theory about being old
u know ur old when u no longer go sleep dreaming about playing in a liverpool jumper and rather, u fall asleep dreaming about singing in a liverpool jumper...
now tell me lads, what are u dreaming about?
jaypap

Postby supersub » Sun Jun 15, 2003 11:45 pm

Old....Yep I'm there but only slightly in body.I still play 8-a-side regularly on a Thursday.My wife hung my sunday football boots up last year.She said being in my 40's was as good a time as any;I secretly agreed but I've still got Thursday.When I hit the net on my regular 8-a-side outings then I'm Alun Evans,my boyhood hero.I still dream of wearing the red shirt.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby perthscouser » Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:52 am

Redman wrote:So whos next?
Duff,Kewell,Malbranque or even Beckham?
the later would be funny...

who ever we sign he must be able to take on players going the way were attacking!
not sure if we really need a winger...but more of a creative midfielder...like Kewell?Beckham? I dont think Duff is worth the price that "Soutash" is asking (you thought he would do us a favour after all)!
anyway the Finnan signing is a good start...we need the wing backs to go forward...not just defend...by all acounts Finnan was Fulhams player of the year and thats not bad for a right back.
heres my team for 2003-04 season

1.Dudek
2.Henchoz
3.Finnan
4.Hyypia
5.Baros
7.Kewell?
9.Diouf
10.Owen
13.Murphy
17.Gerrard
18.Riise

on ya bike Heskey?Didi?Vladi  thanks for your service we wont forget

UP THE REDMEN!!

Not bad but you spoilt it with the inclusion of "foot in mouth Diouf".
Surely we can find a home grown right sided player or have we stopped  looking in our own back yard.
Were did we find Owen,Murphy,Cara,Gerard or have we lost the directions
perthscouser

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:04 pm

One player we could get who would make a massive difference and cost virtually nothing is Rivaldo,yes hes the wrong side of 30 but he is absolutely world class and is totally out of favour at milan. Rivaldo has already said he'd love to play in England and i'm sure he's out of contract or available very cheap from milan cos they want to get rid of his wages.It would be expensive for his wages but it would give the fans something exciting to look forward to.Anyteam that played us would fear us seeing a big name like that in the side,but Houllier doesn't want established players he wants young people he brings in who feel they owe everything to him for an oppurtunity so they are scared of makin a mistake and expressing themselves in the way they should.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jaypap » Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:09 am

well ss
good to see ur still getting a kick and still dreaming...

ace
that is one of the most reasonable assessments ive ever read..,well said chum......
rivaldo in our side would absolutely give us the flavour we need...
and frankly, what u said about gh bringing only young players....brilliant!!!!!!!
he should just let them loose...thats why we were so good when gh had is illness.....i think he breeds negativity into them...ive watched diouf over the last 3-4 years, b4 he came to anfiled and he was very creative...last year he looked like he had a wooden leg.......!
jaypap

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:50 pm

definetely agree with you jay. Take Carragher for instance people say he is too negative when he has the ball. But i think he's told he shouldn't be bombing forward cos he's a DEFENDER,i don't know whether GH realises that an attacking full back can be one of the teams best weapons. Also he buys players who are not established because he knows established stars will have there own opinions and won't fall at his feet like the players he buys with POTENTIAL.Come on GH give us 1 player we can get really excited about if we don't take a risk we'll fall further and further behind.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jaypap » Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:15 pm

bingo ace
but gh aint listening
how much longer does gh's contract run for?
if we have no success this coming season and i mean win the league, gh should go...
jaypap

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:08 pm

If we don't massively improve our league position on last season..and its because we have not changed our style or brought in the right type of player,e.g a winger and a striker then GH hasn't learned and would have to go. As this season gets closer if we don't have the players we're craving fans will get more and more dissolussioned with GH and we can't allow the club to go down that road.We want everyone pulling for the same cause and we  can't allow last season to happen again were there was more moanin than good comments,if Gh has to go for the good of the club then so be it..Get us our winger and second striker before time runs out.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jaypap » Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:38 pm

every year as the season approaches i watch in great anticipation for gh bring in the kind of player only real madrid fans lick their lips over...we bring in potential and we wait and hope...we get excited as true fans b/c we love our club and want to succeed...we usually get carried away with all the media hype and surreal anticipation...
but this year, ive analysed carefully, im not caught up in the dream and am being realistic...my attitude may be born of frustration but nevertheless i am staying unemotional about our chances...i will not be impressed by no names and unproven talent any more...
they will not raise my hopes this season, cause im more than realistic in saying that unless the no names are a revelation which is very rare, we will be struggling with the same style and performance as last season...
i dont really expect diouf to excel, nor cherou to take hammans spot and compete with viera for the best in the league in that position...i dont expect heskey will score 16 goals and i think too much will fall on owens shoulders as usual and he'll either get injured or crumble under the pressure...
i see hyppia and henchoz being solid and us grinding out 0-0 draws and 1-0 wins with no system or class...baros may be a shinning light with 15 goals if he gets the game time...and we will finish 3-6 and become even more vocal next year...i rate the above mentioned outcome as an 80% chance of occurring....it'll be 10% if we do worse or better...i cling on to that 10% better like a child to his owen shirt, but the adult in me sees frustration, a game style that disgusts me and me flicking thru the pages in lal liga to see how becks is doing rather than young owen!

and of all the damn shames in the world, that has to be one of the biggest!
jaypap

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge