TOTTENHAM V LIVERPOOL

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Kenny Kan » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:12 am

Image V Image

I used to go to a few of these, not very good memories - I thought I was a jinx. I went to this fixture the last time we won the league and they beat us with a Paul Stewart header 1-0. The only other memory I have from that was seeing an auld ar.se drunk as a skunk being marshaled by stewards out of the Paxton rd end, he was brought to the front of the crowd behind the goal and was wearing beige trousers. The bloke had either pi$$ed or $hit himself and his beige trousers round the crutch area turned brown. The whole crowd mocked him as him walked off before them.

Anyway...

Recent stats:

Liverpool 3 - 2 Tottenham
Tottenhan 2 - 1 Liverpool
Liverpool 0 - 0 Tottenham
Tottenhan 4 - 0 Liverpool
Liverpool 0 - 2 Tottenham
Tottenham 2 - 1 Liverpool

I think they play Anji on Thursday but have qualified so they could more or less play a second string, they also have West Ham in the QF of the league cup on the following Wednesday with us sandwiched between those two fixtures. So not sure if either of these games will affect they way the set-up and play against us.

Not really optimistic (again) with this one seeing as we now have a depleted midfield. They have Dembele (who impressed me against us) as doubt and Vertonghen (who had an excellent game against us) injured. I have no idea who we'll play in midfield probably Allen, Lucas and Alberto perhaps, or whether we'll play our usual expansive game or look to sit back a bit and congest and stifle the game. Massive blow with Gerrard out who's passing into the likes of Suarez is often overlooked by some of our fans as he more or not is the main supplier from midfield.

Heart says win, head says loss.

Perhaps a draw is more realistic and a win in these conditions would be emphatic.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby babu » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:27 am

can't remember the last time we won over there.

Not so sure we are any good at parking the bus and going for the draw, we were only good at doing that under Benitez.

I think we should go all out for the 3 points.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:25 am

the last time we beat spurs at their place was on the last day of the 07/08 season. that was torres`s first season in english footy and he scored in a 2-0 win for us.
the spurs starting XI on that day though included the likes of hutton, o hara, zokora, jenas, malbranque and cerny, they`ve deffo kicked on as a club from those days.
since then WHL has been a bit of a bogey ground for us and even if we had sturridge, gerrard and enrique back i think we would have struggled to get anything from this fixture because this is the one game of the season where nothing ever seems to go right for us. wether it`s freak injuries, double sending off`s, them scoring goal of the month contenders or us missing absolute sitters it all seems to happen here.
with just 2 away wins all season and both of those coming back in september we desperately need to improve our away form but i dont think we`ll start to turn around our away fortune`s here, under brendan we havent got a great record against the other big sides in the division anyway and i cant see that stat changing anytime soon with an away fixture at our bogey ground with a depleted midfield.
although it would probably mean that we would lose ground on some of our other rivals i`d be happy with a draw here, after all spurs (along with everton and united) are one of the clubs that we are competing with for that coveted 4th CL place so essentially this game is a 6 pointer, we cant really afford to lose this.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redno7 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:57 pm

we'll have them! we're a different team since last season. We're up there and we'll show them why.  AVB is a dead man walking, he'll brick it.

Spuds 1 - 3 LFC (Suarez 2, Courtinho)
redno7
LFC Super Member

Postby laza » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:13 pm

Well hopefully with us without any Europe commitments this season and Spurs have a Europa tie on Thursday will be to our advantage

2-0 Henderson and Johnson
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:36 pm

we have to go for a win, no point in going there looking for a draw. they are far from the finished article and are there for the taking if we want it enough. they also are struggling for goals and from memory i dont think they have netted more than twice in the league this season.
id go 4-4-2 and look to win the battle in midfield.

mingy
               johnson                skrtel              agger          sakho

alberto                  allen              lucas          coutinho

aspas           suarez

no point in moaning about the squad as it is what it is.  aspas has never been tried with suarez so id like to see how that works out. sakho can play L.B and move central on set pieces. alberto looks composed on the ball and has an eye for a pass.
we need to contest this game in their half and look for a win.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:56 pm

This team is set up to attack and that's what we should do. No parking the bus nonsense. We should go straight at them.

I would have been a lot more confident if we didn't have so many injuries, but they have some injury problems as well. Christian Eriksen, Danny Rose and Jan Vertonghen won't be available while Chirches is doubtful. If Chirches doesn't start as well, then they'll basically have no defense, which is where they are the strongest. On the other hand, attack is our strongest weapon so if their defense is that weakened than we should have no problems to score at least one.

They shouldn't be allowed to score more than one goal since their attacking play is pretty Sh*t.

I wouldn't be disappointed if we draw but we shouldn't lose this one, regardless of our injuries and the fact that we're playing Tottenham away. A point from this should be the minimum.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:23 pm

Suarez to bag another hattrick :buttrock
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:31 pm

i like all the positivity but we havent won an away game in almost 3 months!!
i suppose that bad run has got to end somewhere though
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:56 pm

Tough game.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Red Focus » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:55 am

If Enrique, Sturridge and Stevie were fit, I would be optimistic about this game. But as it is now, a draw will do for me. Squad has no depth.
Red Focus
LFC Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:33 am

red till i die!! » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:36 pm wrote:we have to go for a win, no point in going there looking for a draw. they are far from the finished article and are there for the taking if we want it enough. they also are struggling for goals and from memory i dont think they have netted more than twice in the league this season.
id go 4-4-2 and look to win the battle in midfield.

mingy
               johnson                skrtel              agger          sakho

alberto                  allen              lucas          coutinho

aspas           suarez

no point in moaning about the squad as it is what it is.  aspas has never been tried with suarez so id like to see how that works out. sakho can play L.B and move central on set pieces. alberto looks composed on the ball and has an eye for a pass.
we need to contest this game in their half and look for a win.

I hope to god we don't see that formation and selection. Aspas and Alberto, seriously  :Oo:

I fully suspect that Rodgers will make as few changes as possible.

I reckon it will look like

Mignolet

Flanagan     Skrtel     Agger/Sahko     Johnson

Allen     Lucas

Sterling              Henderson             Coutinho

Suarez

Agger or Sahko, could be either but I am erring on Agger starting. Possibly Coutinho more central and Henderson on the wing.

In terms of player changes, I only see Lucas coming in for Gerrard. Which probably will work quite well as we need to win the midfield battle.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:39 am

I'm with you SCS. Leave Aspas in Liverpool and save Alberto for something a bit easier. Think I would like Sakho to start. He absolutely frightens the life out of me !! Hopefully he will do the same to the likes of Soldado. If we believe we can win it we will.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby mkingdom » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:15 pm

I think Agger will play as he will assume the captaincy, assuming he is recovered from the illness he had.

I don't expect massive changes, and much will depend on Henderson's fitness. Some reports say he is out and some say he will be OK to play. Assuming he is then....

Mignolet

Johnson   Skrtel   Agger  Flanagan

Lucas    Allen

Sterling   Henderson    Coutinho

Suarez

*Edited to replace Moses with Sterling who had a good game against WHU.
mkingdom

Postby jacdaniel » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:42 pm

I like SCS's team but Id swap Coutinho and Henderson I think.  Get Coutinho central so he can link up with Allen and Suarez and move Hendo wide to help deal with their wingers.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games