Stoke V Liverpool

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:33 pm

Kenny Kan » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:46 pm wrote:
Boocity » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:41 pm wrote:Really disappointed by that result, we outplayed them and but you cannot defend like we did and expect to win games, too many players seem to have a Christmas hangover, passing was not smart enough in the final 3rd and our finishing was awful

It's also an arduous task when trying to play the style of football we try to and open teams up, we don't have the quality. Especially against we drilled sides like Stoke. But even before this can happen, you need to stamp your name on the game in midfield and we just got bullied to buggery today. Someone like that Diame fella for West Ham is the kind of midfielder we need, a strong powerful athletic type, we're too nimple and weak, soft in the center.

this.
rodgers is trying to replicate barcelona`s style of play but we just havent got the players to do it.
even barcelona themselves, i`ve seen a few games on sky where they leave the likes of messi, iniesta and xavi on the bench and even they struggle to break down teams without those 3.
to play the way barcelona do, to dominate possession against teams like manchester united and real madrid like barcelona have done you dont just need good players or even very good players you need great players, and great players are a bit thin on the ground at anfield at the moment.
all`s we are doing with this philosophy is making ourselves a good side for opponents to play against, we are lightweight and easy to bully, we are probably the shortest team in the division (playing in a country where set pieces play a big part in deciding the outcome of games), we overplay in the wrong area`s and allow other teams to press us at the edge of our own area, our build up play is slow and laboured allowing teams to get back and set in defence, we have no physical presense up front so even if we do get into dangerous crossing positions unless the ball in is unbelievably accurate we dont get on the end of anything etc etc
even this much vaunted pressing game that we were promised....it`s non existent.
unless rodgers buys a creative genius to open up opposition defences or changes his style to allow for 1 or 2 powerful players i cant see anything changing.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby parchpea » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:34 pm

Utter shyte tonight but thats our Liverpool, love and hate in equal measure, drives me mad it does  :down:
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Raoul » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:37 pm

Boxscarf » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:22 pm wrote:
Doeboy » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:21 pm wrote:Official LFC ‏@OfficialLFC
RODGERS: "Stoke play a brand of football where sometimes they get lucky. We can comfort ourselves with the fact we were the better team."

I don't think we can BR. Needs to take of his rose tinted glasses and look at where we went wrong

That's a very worrying statement.

Being the better team doesn't always put points on the table and we just haven't got as many points on the table as we'd like.

In his post match comments he was very clear that Stoke played well, that we defended poorly and the right team won, so I'm sure he doesn't think we were simply unlucky, and he is already very aware of where we went wrong.
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:37 pm

parchpea » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:34 pm wrote:Utter shyte tonight but thats our Liverpool, love and hate in equal measure, drives me mad it does  :down:

At least were not boring
:eyebrow
Thommo's perm

Postby damjan193 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:43 pm

Doeboy » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:21 pm wrote:Official LFC ‏@OfficialLFC
RODGERS: "Stoke play a brand of football where sometimes they get lucky. We can comfort ourselves with the fact we were the better team."

I don't think we can BR. Needs to take of his rose tinted glasses and look at where we went wrong

I honestly don't see how we were the better team. Stoke knew exactly how we're going to play and that's why they beat us. They might have played anti-football, like they always do, but tactically they outsmarted us.

I don't know what "outplaying" means to Rodgers. I sure hope that he doesn't think that by having more possession means that we're outplaying someone. People might complain that Stoke had only 3 chances to score, but how many did we have. I'm not about to count those dead-angle shots by Suarez, that should never be considered as a chance. The only time I remember Begovic had work to do was when Gerrard had a shot from 20 yards.

Rodgers should know that passing the ball around the penalty area isn't outplaying. It's actually the opposite, because if you can't get inside the area it means that the other team doesn't let you to do so.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:43 pm

Raoul » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:37 pm wrote:
Boxscarf » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:22 pm wrote:
Doeboy » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:21 pm wrote:Official LFC ‏@OfficialLFC

That's a very worrying statement.

Being the better team doesn't always put points on the table and we just haven't got as many points on the table as we'd like.

In his post match comments he was very clear that Stoke played well, that we defended poorly and the right team won, so I'm sure he doesn't think we were simply unlucky, and he is already very aware of where we went wrong.

Much better in that case
Doeboy

Postby Thommo's perm » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:45 pm

damjan193 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:43 pm wrote:
Doeboy » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:21 pm wrote:Official LFC ‏@OfficialLFC

I honestly don't see how we were the better team. Stoke knew exactly how we're going to play and that's why they beat us. They might have played anti-football, like they always do, but tactically they outsmarted us.

I don't know what "outplaying" means to Rodgers. I sure hope that he doesn't think that by having more possession means that we're outplaying someone. People might complain that Stoke had only 3 chances to score, but how many did we have. I'm not about to count those dead-angle shots by Suarez, that should never be considered as a chance. The only time I remember Begovic had work to do was when Gerrard had a shot from 20 yards.

Rodgers should know that passing the ball around the penalty area isn't outplaying. It's actually the opposite, because if you can't get inside the area it means that the other team doesn't let you to do so.

We basically have to play every game like a cup tie if we have any chance of being in the top half come May
Thommo's perm

Postby Boxscarf » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:54 pm

Thommo's perm » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:45 pm wrote:
We basically have to play every game like a cup tie if we have any chance of being in the top half come May

Which we all know just isn't going to happen.
Boxscarf

Postby stmichael » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:23 am

we're so mentally weak it's frightening. how shelvey stayed on for 90 minutes is beyond me. one of the worst displays i've ever seen from a liverpool player.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby eds » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:46 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:33 pm wrote:
Kenny Kan » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:46 pm wrote:
Boocity » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:41 pm wrote:Really disappointed by that result, we outplayed them and but you cannot defend like we did and expect to win games, too many players seem to have a Christmas hangover, passing was not smart enough in the final 3rd and our finishing was awful

It's also an arduous task when trying to play the style of football we try to and open teams up, we don't have the quality. Especially against we drilled sides like Stoke. But even before this can happen, you need to stamp your name on the game in midfield and we just got bullied to buggery today. Someone like that Diame fella for West Ham is the kind of midfielder we need, a strong powerful athletic type, we're too nimple and weak, soft in the center.

this.
rodgers is trying to replicate barcelona`s style of play but we just havent got the players to do it.
even barcelona themselves, i`ve seen a few games on sky where they leave the likes of messi, iniesta and xavi on the bench and even they struggle to break down teams without those 3.
to play the way barcelona do, to dominate possession against teams like manchester united and real madrid like barcelona have done you dont just need good players or even very good players you need great players, and great players are a bit thin on the ground at anfield at the moment.
all`s we are doing with this philosophy is making ourselves a good side for opponents to play against, we are lightweight and easy to bully, we are probably the shortest team in the division (playing in a country where set pieces play a big part in deciding the outcome of games), we overplay in the wrong area`s and allow other teams to press us at the edge of our own area, our build up play is slow and laboured allowing teams to get back and set in defence, we have no physical presense up front so even if we do get into dangerous crossing positions unless the ball in is unbelievably accurate we dont get on the end of anything etc etc
even this much vaunted pressing game that we were promised....it`s non existent.
unless rodgers buys a creative genius to open up opposition defences or changes his style to allow for 1 or 2 powerful players i cant see anything changing.

Agree, now that we have bought in a striker our attention needs to turn to an creative midfielder who can cut defenses open with their passing.

Otherwise expect more the same with this boring possession game that yields f**k all results.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby ethanr » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:34 am

Thought Shelvey was bad again. Thought Enrique was fantastic tho, all over the pitch and seemingly one of our better ball handlers.  Middle 3 probably didn't do enough, and Stoke actually played really well, despite their anti-football tag.

We missed some good chances, and Stoke took theirs.  There's really nothing else you can say about the match.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Kopite-Jud » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:01 am

As a team you play to your strengths, not to try and copy somebody else's (Barcelona). All this panic passing around the back is really p!ssing me off aswell, next time you watch us play take note of how many sloppy passes we play around the back then lump it forward anyway!

You cannot go to Stoke and try and be a poor mans Barcelona that we are. No offence Brendan but your lack of managerial experience at the top is showing, we're not just losing by the odd goal, it's by two or three.

This club needs and should have a top manager with bags of experience of winning things. Not somebody trying to emulate a poor mans Barcelona who wasnt even good enough to manage Reading. You play to your strengths, half way through the season with 25 points. Things are going to get a lot lot worse
Kopite-Jud

Postby RedHands » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:00 am

Think we should have gone 3 at the back. We were far too exposed at the back with out fullbacks pushed so far forward which is one criticism I have in general of BR's system so far. I think Andy Carrol could have helped us really tonight. Also, why the h*ll do we not put players at the front and back post on corners? Seems elementary.

Stoke is really good at they do and we do not match up well with them at all.

Was it just me or did the pitch seem slippery as F*ck out there. Do they water the pitches before the game?
RedHands
LFC Basic Member

Postby killerp » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:54 am

We must be the easiest team to score against in the league right now

Can't hold a lead for more than a minute

Fooking Hopeless!!!!!
killerp

Postby devaney » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:11 am

Thommo's perm » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:37 pm wrote:
parchpea » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:34 pm wrote:Utter shyte tonight but thats our Liverpool, love and hate in equal measure, drives me mad it does  :down:

At least were not boring
:eyebrow

I hate to say this because I hate Stoke and that fkr Pullis in equal measures but I thought they were the better side and played some decent football. Walters was very impressive - just look at his goals. We were absolutely fkg spineless and our recent win against Fulham shows just how bad they are and our recent thrashing by Villa only exacerbates the problem. Where was Downing against in your face Stoke? He was fkg nowhere to be seen. I have always maintained that Downing plays well against poorer teams and his MOTM performance against Fulham just proves my point. Gerrard wasn't much better. Thought Suso was doing ok and BR takes him off.Shelvey was hopeless.Enrique was impress yet again.Suarez must be getting p.issed off with this lot. I no I am. Sterling looked loke he was worth £2k a week and not the rumoured £30k a week his new contract gives him. Henderson - what the fk does he do? I fkg well despair !!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext