LIVERPOOL VS SUNDERLAND 13/8/2011 - This is it. kennys real return

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Johnny Boy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:40 am

damjan193 wrote:
Dundalk wrote:
redtrader74 wrote:I cannot understand why we gave so much game time to Aquilani

Shop window

Rorysmith_tel Rory Smith on Twitter

Pre-season problem at #LFC is that at least four games were effectively used to get unwanted players fit for their future clubs.

True that.

That's what I said yesterday and what Aldridge said on Radio City too.
With Arsenal next week yesterday was an important game.
Johnny Boy
LFC Super Member

Postby RedSi35 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:46 am

The only problem I saw was that as soon as Suarez went off we had bugger all creativity.

No one in there to produce that little bit of magic, lots of huff and puff but :censored: all else.

What worries me is that Carroll looks a little lazy, to the point where he wasnt even getting into the box for some crosses.

We were better at the back and Enrique was solid.

Not the worst start
RedSi35
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Johnny Boy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:48 am

Think we have to also remember Enrique wouldn't have played if Aurelio had been fit (injured in training again!), so we would have had 3 new players not 4.
Johnny Boy
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:15 am

Johnny Boy wrote:Think we have to also remember Enrique wouldn't have played if Aurelio had been fit (injured in training again!), so we would have had 3 new players not 4.

I disagree with you about Carroll, he didn't look lazy or at some point looked lazy, his work rate was fantastic yesterday, he covered the ground a lot, he closed down defenders, he was in the box, BUT he didn't get one header on target, his touch was poor, and in general he looked average.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Johnny Boy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:37 am

metalhead wrote:
Johnny Boy wrote:Think we have to also remember Enrique wouldn't have played if Aurelio had been fit (injured in training again!), so we would have had 3 new players not 4.

I disagree with you about Carroll, he didn't look lazy or at some point looked lazy, his work rate was fantastic yesterday, he covered the ground a lot, he closed down defenders, he was in the box, BUT he didn't get one header on target, his touch was poor, and in general he looked average.

What?

I never mentioned Carroll!
Johnny Boy
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:44 am

Shiiiiiiiiiiit, FML meant to quote RedSi not you Johnny

:D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:10 am

Well, it was only one game and it won't mean midtable obscurity but it was a really poor result at home vs a typical midtable team. We can ill afford many of these games if we want to get back to CL football. Harsh but true...
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby eds » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:20 am

Johnny Boy wrote:
metalhead wrote:

What?

I never mentioned Carroll!

I think he quoted the wrong post, relates more to the comment before yours.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby Johnny Boy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:28 am

metalhead wrote:Shiiiiiiiiiiit, FML meant to quote RedSi not you Johnny

:D

No worries mate.  :)
Johnny Boy
LFC Super Member

Postby Johnny Boy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:29 am

Penguins wrote:Well, it was only one game and it won't mean midtable obscurity but it was a really poor result at home vs a typical midtable team. We can ill afford many of these games if we want to get back to CL football. Harsh but true...

It is harsh but I agree, with a tough game next week, if the Mancs and Chelsea for example win their first 2 games we are already playing catch up.

An over reaction I know but 3 points would have been nice yesterday.
Johnny Boy
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:22 pm

I was more concerned about the kidnapping of Downing in the second half to be honest
Thommo's perm

Postby parchpea » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:37 pm

They will get a bollocking for the second half display as theres no way Dalglish will deem it acceptable. You want the team to hit the ground running but it looks like it may take a little longer to bed in with so many new faces and people not fully sharp with the copa tournament. Work to be done.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:52 pm

parchpea wrote:They will get a bollocking for the second half display as theres no way Dalglish will deem it acceptable. You want the team to hit the ground running but it looks like it may take a little longer to bed in with so many new faces and people not fully sharp with the copa tournament. Work to be done.

You can't spend the pre-season playing your 2nd/3rd team and then expect the First selection to hit the ground running. It doesn't work like that. I was more disappointed in what can only be described as a lack of physical fitness. We should place the outmost on personal fitness and stamina, this would allow us to close the quality gap of the other top teams in PL.

Lucas ,Adam ,Suarez ,Hendo ,Flano looked totally wasted 2nd half.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby crim cram » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:20 pm

only me wrote:
parchpea wrote:They will get a bollocking for the second half display as theres no way Dalglish will deem it acceptable. You want the team to hit the ground running but it looks like it may take a little longer to bed in with so many new faces and people not fully sharp with the copa tournament. Work to be done.

You can't spend the pre-season playing your 2nd/3rd team and then expect the First selection to hit the ground running. It doesn't work like that. I was more disappointed in what can only be described as a lack of physical fitness. We should place the outmost on personal fitness and stamina, this would allow us to close the quality gap of the other top teams in PL.

Lucas ,Adam ,Suarez ,Hendo ,Flano looked totally wasted 2nd half.

Totally agree, and the players in the shop window didn't exactly help themselves anyway, bit of a waste.  Should have been playing our 25 + a few youngsters.
“Me having no education. I had to use my brains.”  Shankly
crim cram
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:37 am

Strange game really. I was really encouraged by what I saw in the first half when the game really should have been dead and buried. Adam, Downing and Suarez were all excellent in an attacking sense. Infact Adam was the best player on the pitch in the first half but faded badly along with the rest of the team which was a strange one. We lloked really tired in the second half and Sunderland seemed a lot fitter than us.

I'm not going to knee jerk though. People need to realise that this side is going to need 5 or 6 games to gel together. Of the team that started at the weekend, only four (Reina, Agger, Carra, Lucas) are long standing members of this side. Four were making their competitive debuts (Adam, Downing, Enrique, Henderson) and the other three have only played a handful of games for us (Suarez, Carroll, Flanagan). Suarez looked absolutely knackered to me when he came off, Flanagan is still a kid learning the game and Carroll still isn't fullly fit and missed most of the second half of last season with injury.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games