Liverpool VS Arsenal 23.12 17:30 Ko

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby electrum » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:13 pm

Good overall performance but a few non performances by players who we are pinning our future on once Mo leaves (possibly in the summer , although I hope not) Even with Mo around we need succession planning.

My take on DIaz, Nunez and Gakpo:

Diaz- seen enough now to be convinced that he has been found out by defenders and managers in the toughest league in the world. Can't beat a man anymore and lacks basic intelligence as to when to keep hold of the ball and when to move it forward quickly.

Maybe sounds harsh but I would sell him in the summer
Nunez- total engima..lots of effort and bags of ability with positioning and making runs but  his finishing has to improve. Needs to impress between now and the end of the season or he can catch the same flight out as Diaz in the summer.

Gakpo- inconsistent - only good enough to be on the bench.

IMO we need a major signing for the attack in the summer - if Mo goes to Saudi make that two.

In the midfield-
Szob- form is temporary, class is permanent

McAllister- the sooner he plays further up the pitch the better

Endo- better then expected and growing on me as a regular starter. My starting MF would be Endo , Szob and McA  with Curtis in the mix on a regular basis.

Elliot- fast becoming our new super sub. Not a PL starter for me seems much more fired up when he comes on.

Thiago - sell him in January if he is fit . Total waste of money on salary that can be freed up for a genuine 6.

Gravenberch- still adapting to Klopp's methods- jury remains out

Bajetic- the sooner he comes back from injury the better - need him as a quality option off the bench.
electrum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:25 pm

Thought we were the better side but they had their moments too tbf, got to hand it to this Liverpool 2.0 Jurgen has put together resilience wise they are tough as old boots. Real work ethic there too.
If anything is letting us down it’s we are far too profligate in front of goal, we aren’t just missing good chances we are missing absolute sitters.
We are in the mix, let’s just see what happens in the new year. Merry Christmas everyone
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:25 am

electrum » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:13 pm wrote:Good overall performance but a few non performances by players who we are pinning our future on once Mo leaves (possibly in the summer , although I hope not) Even with Mo around we need succession planning.

My take on DIaz, Nunez and Gakpo:

Diaz- seen enough now to be convinced that he has been found out by defenders and managers in the toughest league in the world. Can't beat a man anymore and lacks basic intelligence as to when to keep hold of the ball and when to move it forward quickly.

Maybe sounds harsh but I would sell him in the summer
Nunez- total engima..lots of effort and bags of ability with positioning and making runs but  his finishing has to improve. Needs to impress between now and the end of the season or he can catch the same flight out as Diaz in the summer.

Gakpo- inconsistent - only good enough to be on the bench.

IMO we need a major signing for the attack in the summer - if Mo goes to Saudi make that two.

In the midfield-
Szob- form is temporary, class is permanent

McAllister- the sooner he plays further up the pitch the better

Endo- better then expected and growing on me as a regular starter. My starting MF would be Endo , Szob and McA  with Curtis in the mix on a regular basis.

Elliot- fast becoming our new super sub. Not a PL starter for me seems much more fired up when he comes on.

Thiago - sell him in January if he is fit . Total waste of money on salary that can be freed up for a genuine 6.

Gravenberch- still adapting to Klopp's methods- jury remains out

Bajetic- the sooner he comes back from injury the better - need him as a quality option off the bench.

Must admit, Diaz does seem to have lost something ever since returning from that long term injury. Doesn't look as menacing and don't know if it's a physical issue, confidence/just form or teams having somewhat working him out or maybe a combination of all those things.

Problem is his game is heavily about jinking, sharp turns and he doesn't seem to be making those driving runs from left towards central areas which causes the opposition panic. Wonder if the knee isn't quite the same but hoping he can show us something in the second half of the season.
Doeboy

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:37 am

Sounds like Tsimikas is out for 2 or 3 months with a broken collarbone.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:33 am

I think Arsenal tried to do a few of our players yesterday. The foul on Tsmikas by Saka was deliberate and unnecessary.. the interview after of him apologising was purely for the cameras.

And earlier in the game Havertz trapped Szoboszlais arm and dragged him down straight on his shoulder.. it was the same dirty move Ramos did to Salah in the Champions League final.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby Santa » Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:09 am

Santa » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:58 pm wrote:Slow-mo just show a dead cert penalty for Odegaard scooping the ball with his hand inside the penalty area, but no VAR intervention. WHY???

So...another apology by PGMOL for not awarding a clear and obvious penalty with that Ødegaard handball. How does that change the results for us?

In retrospect this was a clear and obvious error and should have resulted in a penalty being awarded through VAR intervention, however, the VAR failed to intervene

If we can see this as a deliberate handball with certainty, how could a team of professional match officials failed so badly?

Dafaq is wrong with all these official match fixing already  :veryangry
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:33 pm

Santa » Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:09 am wrote:
Santa » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:58 pm wrote:Slow-mo just show a dead cert penalty for Odegaard scooping the ball with his hand inside the penalty area, but no VAR intervention. WHY???

So...another apology by PGMOL for not awarding a clear and obvious penalty with that Ødegaard handball. How does that change the results for us?

In retrospect this was a clear and obvious error and should have resulted in a penalty being awarded through VAR intervention, however, the VAR failed to intervene

If we can see this as a deliberate handball with certainty, how could a team of professional match officials failed so badly?

I doubt we will get an apology, they will say he slipped and his hand was in a natural position even though he fondled it and gained a clear advantage. No point complaining about VAR anymore, those poor officials have it so tough. Funny that Klopp preempted the Dermot whitewash that will surely come.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:09 pm

kazza » Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:33 am wrote:
Santa » Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:09 am wrote:

I doubt we will get an apology, they will say he slipped and his hand was in a natural position even though he fondled it and gained a clear advantage. No point complaining about VAR anymore, those poor officials have it so tough. Funny that Klopp preempted the Dermot whitewash that will surely come.

Dermot has already said it was a penalty. He said there was an obvious movement towards the ball with his hand and it was a penalty.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:39 pm

Once again Kavanagh is involved in yet another disgraceful potential penalty incident and fails to take the correct action. Kavanagh was on VAR duty when Tierney failed to award a penalty for the well documented Rodri hand ball incident. Kavanagh lives in Greater Manchester. It is strongly rumoured that he is a City supporter and that his brother is a City season ticket holder !! Kavanagh said of the Rodri handball that there was insufficient conclusive evidence which was utter nonsense given the video’s and photographs that were posted after the match. Is it any wonder that accusations of corruption are rife !!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:47 pm

Keith Hackett: I am utterly bemused how a penalty was not awarded against Odegaard
Referee Chris Kavanagh had a very good game overall, and contributed fully to what was an excellent football match. However, he and his team of officials made a major error in not awarding a penalty against Arsenal captain Martin Odegaard in the first half at Anfield.

The Norwegian made clear contact with the ball as he slipped, preventing it from going directly to an opponent.

To my mind, Kavanagh was in a good position to see the incident, and should have awarded the penalty. However, once he failed to do so his Video Assistant Referee, David Coote, should have told him to go to the monitor and reconsider. I am bemused he did not do so and can see no real reason for that call. It is extremely difficult to understand from two experienced officials.

It also reaffirms to me that there is a lack of consistency around the handball law and how it is implemented. It feels like a lottery depending on who the officials are, and the whole thing needs clarifying.

There are concerns for me over the use of the monitor, too. At present, you know that if an official is sent to the monitor they will overturn their decision. That doesn’t have to be the case, and I’d like to see the monitor used more - with referees feeling empowered to stick with their on-field decisions. It may be that Kavanagh would have changed his mind if sent to the monitor, but it feels unsatisfactory that he has finished the game with just one view of a key incident.

Elsewhere in the game, Arsenal felt they may have had a claim for a penalty when Kai Havertz went down under a challenge from Trent Alexander-Arnold late on in the game, but the officials rightly decided there was no case to answer.

And overall, Kavanagh had a good game. He let the action flow when possible and wasn’t a key factor in proceedings, which is always a good sign. It was a fine occasion and both sides really went for it, which is difficult to do without a strong official in the middle.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:28 pm

devaney » Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:39 pm wrote:Once again Kavanagh is involved in yet another disgraceful potential penalty incident and fails to take the correct action. Kavanagh was on VAR duty when Tierney failed to award a penalty for the well documented Rodri hand ball incident. Kavanagh lives in Greater Manchester. It is strongly rumoured that he is a City supporter and that his brother is a City season ticket holder !! Kavanagh said of the Rodri handball that there was insufficient conclusive evidence which was utter nonsense given the video’s and photographs that were posted after the match. Is it any wonder that accusations of corruption are rife !!

IIIRC Rodri himself flat out admitted it was a handball, cost us the title that decision/non decision.
Yesterday’s was another shocker as well, even the Arsenal fan tv crew thought it was a pen
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:19 am

Always going to be a tough game and I thought we had a good go but!!!! Can't help but feel we got robbed again by a clown ref and corrupt officials manning an inept system.  They never sent him to that monitor because they knew he would have to give it. Honestly can't believe they are still making such bad calls and people still don't think it's corrupt. It's blatantly obvious imo.

Much improved performance from us anyway so hopefully we continue tomorrow.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:26 am

Surprise surprise City ends up the benefactor of that poor decision. They return from the Club World Cup full of confidence and will go on a 12 match win streak (including some helpful ref decisions) and they will probably win the title…. Rinse and repeat! Will their fans care, definitely not, there is no honor in sports anymore.

How this is good for the PL brand I will never know.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games