Liverpool V Man City - Capital One Cup Final Sun 28th 4.30pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby C-R » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:39 am

Liverpool V Man City - Capital One Cup Final

This is the season defining match for us, make no mistake about it, win this match and lift the trophy and all things considered what was looking like an awful season could be considered a decent one (considering we are still in the Europa League and could still push for a top 6 spot in the league)

We have an almost full strength team back now, the only major selection decisions for JK are who is to partner Sakho in the centre of defence ? Lovren is pushing for a start, Kolo was rested last night with this match in mind, plus Lucas staked a claim in last nights match

The other selection dilemma is in the central midfield area, this is really crucial for us, City have huge athletic players in there with the likes of Yaya, Fernando, Fernandinho to name just 3.  So whoever plays in there will have to cope with a very physical battle and offer the defence the required protection

I think the front line pretty much picks itself in fairness, we will see Sturridge up top supported by Firmino and Coutinho, if these 3 gel like we know they can and did at the Emptyhad earlier in the season we have a good chance

Fortunately for us Kevin De Bruyne is a long term injury for them, but there is always the fear for us that $terling will come back and haunt us, oh how we miss a Cara / Agger / Stevie type player who would have gone right through him early on

If the Liverpool who comfortably turned City over 4-1 earlier in the season turn up we will lift the trophy (simple), but.. if City play to their potential it could be heart ache for us

We turn up, we play our very best, hopefully $terling will be ineffective and Kompany injures himself in the build up

Come on Liverpool  :buttrock  :buttrock
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:47 am

If I was Jurgen id pick this team -

Mingolet

Clyne.              Toure.           Sakho.              Moreno

Lucas

Hendo.                      Milner

Firmino.                                           Coutinho

Sturridge

I'm a big fan of Can, I'd even go as far as to say that in the event of a mass clear out he's probably the only CM on our books that I'd keep but imo he looks very tired at the moment, in fact he's not playing well at all. I'd start with that team and maybe bring Can on around the hour mark when we are starting to run out of steam.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby JC_81 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:06 pm

That's the team I'd go with too yakka.

I'm less convinced than you about Can longterm though! He has a German manager who really seems to believe in him and gives him plenty of game time, but his performances all season have been bang average usually. Occasionally good and occasionally woeful in equal measures. Next season is a big one for him.

As for tomorrow, with our front 3 we have a chance.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:06 pm

JC_81 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:06 am wrote:That's the team I'd go with too yakka.

I'm less convinced than you about Can longterm though! He has a German manager who really seems to believe in him and gives him plenty of game time, but his performances all season have been bang average usually. Occasionally good and occasionally woeful in equal measures. Next season is a big one for him.

Emre's only a couple of months older than Brad Smith so he's got a hell of lot of developing to do yet mate, he'll be a much better player in 3 or 4 years time (and he'll still only be in his mid 20's).
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:09 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:06 pm wrote:

Emre's only a couple of months older than Brad Smith so he's got a hell of lot of developing to do yet mate, he'll be a much better player in 3 or 4 years time (and he'll still be in his mid 20's).

Problem is we can't put all our eggs in one basket, which we often do due to lack of funds/ spending power. If Can doesn't develop into a player we all hope he do, what then? It is imperative we bring in a CM fit for a top 4 club in the summer...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:38 pm

maguskwt » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:09 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:06 pm wrote:

Emre's only a couple of months older than Brad Smith so he's got a hell of lot of developing to do yet mate, he'll be a much better player in 3 or 4 years time (and he'll still be in his mid 20's).

Problem is we can't put all our eggs in one basket, which we often do due to lack of funds/ spending power. If Can doesn't develop into a player we all hope he do, what then? It is imperative we bring in a CM fit for a top 4 club in the summer...

I agree, we have already signed another 'Can' if you like in Grujic but we also need someone that can hit the ground running right away as well. We seem to be heavily linked with this Camacho lad from Spain but personally I'd love to see us sign that Xhaka from BMG, unfortunately though it looks like he is off to our opponents tomorrow.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby devaney » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:19 pm

Lallana or/and Allen for me instead of the very similar Henderson and Milner.

I just want us to shove it so far up Sterling's fkg ar.se that it hurts !!!!  :laugh:
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Eagle » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:56 pm

No chance Can will get dropped. He's the only CM that brings height, strength and aggression in that area of the pitch.
Eagle

Postby killerp » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:56 am

realistically this is the only silverware we have a chance to win this season. I wonder if the players will show up.

There are a few concerns, Sturridge has been playing games but not scoring, the midfield is not scoring many goals, Christ even skrtels bald head is not available to smash in a surprise goal. The defence stills gives me panic attacks when I watch them defend almost anything. Although they have improved recently.

Where will the goals come from?  Benteke, Origi?.... Caulker  :eyebrow

I'd love to know if anyone is putting bets on the first scorer, is it a lfc or city player  :eyebrow
killerp

Postby aCe' » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:27 am

I'd go with this:

Mingolet

Clyne               Lovren             Sakho              Moreno

Hendo                   Can

Milner                     Firmino                    Coutinho

Sturridge

Press from high up and take our chances. They have the better side but they are vulnerable at the back and have looked inconsistent all season.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:37 am

I would swap Lucas for Hendo.

Doing whay we did to them previously would be awesome. Press them attack them and take a quick 3-0 lead. Dare to dream..

Common redmen win this and make us proud.

2-1 to us studge coutinho. .aguero
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:09 am

aCe' » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:27 am wrote:I'd go with this:

Mingolet

Clyne               Lovren             Sakho              Moreno

Hendo                   Can

Milner                     Firmino                    Coutinho

Sturridge

Press from high up and take our chances. They have the better side but they are vulnerable at the back and have looked inconsistent all season.

Although Lovren trained yesterday he missed the Ausburg game through illness and I don't think he's quite 100% right yet, I'd go with Kolo (who to be fair has never let us down).
The key to this game will be our ability (or inability) to press City, if we stand off them they will wipe the floor with us but if we can get about them and pressurise them (and keep it going for 90 minutes) then we will win IMO.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby parchpea » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:58 am

Klopp wont make special measures it will be our usual team and we will try and impose our style on City.

You need a bit of luck and if City turn up it will be difficult but lets just hope its a good game and we can get the right result.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:54 pm

parchpea » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:58 am wrote:Klopp wont make special measures it will be our usual team and we will try and impose our style on City.

You need a bit of luck and if City turn up it will be difficult but lets just hope its a good game and we can get the right result.

Yeah fair point, if City click today then there mightn't be much we can do, on their day they are probably still the best side in the country but being favourites carries it own pressures, they will be the ones under gas to perform.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Soupyzrx » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:40 pm

Yeah, the brutal truth is that on paper, they definitely have the much better team, and even if our bunch do perform to the best of their collective potential, we're kinda relying on them to have a bad day. If Citeh perform as they should, I reckon they'll have us bent over with our trousers down all over the pitch. Having said that, they can be vulnerable and have looked pretty ropey at times, but we do have an on-going inability to take our chances, even when they are presented on a plate, so I think a lot of variables have to click into place in our favour for us to get a result, but fingers crossed.....
C'MON THE REDMEN!!!!!
Soupyzrx
LFC Advanced Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games