Everton V Liverpool  Sunday 13.30pm Kick Off.

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:51 pm

woof woof ! » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:19 pm wrote:Whilst at times we were under pressure from an "up for it" Everton we still had ample opportunities to win the game that we didn't exploit

Sterling going for a hollywood chip come curler when a simple pass to a virtually unmarked Luis was on pi'ssed me off no end

And I was leaping up and down like a nutter in sheer frustration when in the second half Luis got free inside the right hand side of the Everton area only to look up and find that he was the only red shirt in there   :angry:

Disallowed match winning goal aside, letting a 2-0 lead slip we maybe got what we deserved but even then the three points were definitely still there to be taken.

Correct but that confirms we are on the right path and not as Sh*t as some would have us believe
This is an everton team who have shot out the blocks and are in the top 4 on merit, yet we made them look ordinary and because of our old friend "lack of ruthlessness" we let them off the hook. They clung on at the end and scraped a point at home against inferior opposition.
Thats bragging rights in my book any day of the week

:nod
Thommo's perm

Postby Boxscarf » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:17 pm

We're getting there under Rodgers, I just hope FSG see this and release plenty of funds for Brendan to spend in the summer.
Boxscarf

Postby metalhead » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:27 pm

Gotta hand it to Rodgers, changed the tactics in the 2nd half and we actually did better.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:40 pm

I thought it was a good performance and nice to see a manager react to situations rather than
waiting for the inevitable then changing it.

Was a tough assignment today and on the whole we dealt with it very well and with a bit of
luck could and really should have won.

Only Suso found it hard going really and we had to change that but everyone else put a shift
in and looked lively.

I was hoping the final sub would have been Assaidi for Sterling as he looked sharp Thursday
and I think would have caused them some problems but overall no complaints, we are getting
there.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:41 pm

metalhead » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:27 pm wrote:Gotta hand it to Rodgers, changed the tactics in the 2nd half and we actually did better.

I am very cautiously optimistic
He has brought pride in the shirt, attacking football, young players through, deadwood gone, pass and move, positivity and passion back to the club
He is not afraid to ruffle feathers and is a dream at interviews. Laughing at Suarez taking the pi'ss out of gollum is class and proves that he "gets" us
:buttrock
Thommo's perm

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:44 pm

Luis Suarez's foul on Distin was worth red card, says Moyes  :D  ???

By Ben Smith BBC Sport at Goodison Park

Everton manager David Moyes says Liverpool striker Luis Suarez should have been sent off during Sunday's Merseyside derby.

The Uruguayan was shown a yellow card for a challenge on Everton defender Sylvain Distin in the second half of the 2-2 draw at Goodison Park.

"He was a very lucky man to stay on the pitch for his tackle," Moyes said.

Asked if it was a red card offence, Moyes added: "Definitely. It's over the top, down the back of the leg."

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers defended his striker - who scored one of Liverpool's goals, was instrumental in the other, and had one ruled out for offside in stoppage time - claiming the tackle was mistimed rather than malicious.

"I didn't think it was a red card," he said. "Sometimes you get that with a striker, when they are just a fraction late. They are trying to time it just as they pass it."
Play media

Suarez 'goal' should have stood - Rodgers

A linesman's flag incorrectly denied Suarez a last-minute winner as he prodded in from close-range after a Steven Gerrard free-kick.

Moyes, who saw his side come from 2-0 down thanks to goals from Leon Osman and Steven Naismith, admitted the Toffees were fortunate with that decision.

"It was a goal but I don't think it was a foul on Gerrard in the middle of the pitch," he said.

"That was the wrong decision but it was also the wrong decision not to give the goal."

Rodgers was frustrated by the decision but said he had been impressed by the courage shown by his young players.

"Obviously we are bitterly disappointed," Rodgers added. "It is an easy decision as well.

"I am not going to go on about officials because it has been happening to us all season.

"It is actually quite straightforward - it is a free-kick from deep, the ball is in the air for a long time and the official is looking across the line, so he is clearly onside.

"When [Sebastian Coates] heads it back, Luis is minimum level and it is a wonderful finish. He should have had his goal - it would have been a brilliant win for us.

"We are frustrated but I am are very proud of my young team in a cauldron of an atmosphere against a very experienced team."

Suarez was never far from the action and provided the game's enduring image when he celebrated Liverpool's opener by running towards Moyes and swallow diving on the touchline in response to pre-match comments made by the Everton manager.

Moyes reacted angrily to the celebration, approaching Suarez who was quickly surrounded by his team-mates.

When asked for his reaction, the Scot said: "I thought it was great. I actually quite liked that and it's the sort of thing I'd have done if I'd have scored."

Rodgers described the celebration as nothing more than Scouse wit and, when asked for his view on diving, referred to the example of Everton captain Phil Neville who was booked in the first half for a poor attempt at a dive - for which he later apologised.

"Do you want me to talk about Phil Neville?" Rodgers added. "Don't start me."

Moyes like the linesman - "Should've gone to Specsavers!"
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boxscarf » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:52 pm

I slated the team in the first-half for their poor mental aptitude, but credit to them they came out in the second-half having regrouped and looked a lot more composed. Last season that probably wouldn't have happened and we'd have gone on to lose the match, so credit where credit is due.

In man ways I'm delighted that the likes of Suso, Sterling and Wisdom experienced the Merseyside Derby at such a young age, it will no doubt put them in good stead for the future. It's a tough fixture, a fixture which gives invaluable lessons to young players playing in them and I think they will all benefit from such an exposure relatively early into their careers.

One thing that really concerns me though is our defence. Last season for the first six months it was rock solid and was the third best defence in the league, this season it has to be ranked as one of the worst. We have gifted umpteen teams invaluble goals and inevitably invaluable points due to our costly errors at the back and today was no different.

Reina came out a week or so ago and said Skrtel and Agger is the best defensive partnership in the history of the club and I laughed because I remember Hyypia and Henchoz being a much better partnership at the back. That's what we need at the back another Sami Hyypia.
Boxscarf

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:58 pm

metalhead » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:27 pm wrote:Gotta hand it to Rodgers, changed the tactics in the 2nd half and we actually did better.

to hit long balls to sterling and suarez is a ridiculous tactic, i thought we lost the plot second half.
everton bossed the midfield for most of the game imo.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:20 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:58 pm wrote:

to hit long balls to sterling and suarez is a ridiculous tactic, i thought we lost the plot second half.

We definitely lost our discipline in the second half and hoofed it, but this was mostly down to Jones rather than Rodgers.
I disagree with them bossing the midfield as I think it was even. Both were as bad as each other. Quite scrappy but we played the better football and deserved to win.
Thommo's perm

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:53 pm

Boxscarf » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:52 pm wrote:I slated the team in the first-half for their poor mental aptitude, but credit to them they came out in the second-half having regrouped and looked a lot more composed. Last season that probably wouldn't have happened and we'd have gone on to lose the match, so credit where credit is due.

In man ways I'm delighted that the likes of Suso, Sterling and Wisdom experienced the Merseyside Derby at such a young age, it will no doubt put them in good stead for the future. It's a tough fixture, a fixture which gives invaluable lessons to young players playing in them and I think they will all benefit from such an exposure relatively early into their careers.

One thing that really concerns me though is our defence. Last season for the first six months it was rock solid and was the third best defence in the league, this season it has to be ranked as one of the worst. We have gifted umpteen teams invaluble goals and inevitably invaluable points due to our costly errors at the back and today was no different.

Reina came out a week or so ago and said Skrtel and Agger is the best defensive partnership in the history of the club and I laughed because I remember Hyypia and Henchoz being a much better partnership at the back. That's what we need at the back another Sami Hyypia.

we deputised 5 kids in that starting line up and they did well enough to help us go 2 up.
the 2 goals we cheaply gave away were gut wrenching but the warning signs were there.everytime they put it over the top our players followed the ball and the front men in leaving room for either osman or naismith to push on for a half a$$ed clearance which they got.
gerrard cant continue in that role as its past him now.he hasnt got the legs to go forward and support and track back at the same time.he needs to be in a forward role with almost a free licence to roam for us to get the best back out of him.I never thought id hear myself say this either but the sooner lucas comes back and this can happen the better.
2nd half we defended much better but sacrificed our creativity in suso and sahin but the occasion needed those changes and fair play to rodgers for realising this. I was one of his biggest critics last season for never having a plan B to shut up shop as swansea often threw away points for being gung ho till the end.
on to the mighty newcastle next :buttrock
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby the lone wolf » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:11 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:58 pm wrote:

You watched a totally different game to me then!
BR changed it and we pretty much nullified Everton in the 2nd half.
Yes we played ugly - but that is just as important as playing pretty.
Allen proved that by changing his style of play for a more combative style, which he won't be asked to do week in week out.
There is a lot of plus' from todays game as long as we take it into the next few games...

Give credit where credit is due - we could have lost, we should have won - but we got a point against our bitter rivals who have not won us in the league now for how long?
the lone wolf
LFC Basic Member

Postby the lone wolf » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:17 pm

red till i die!! » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:53 pm wrote:
Boxscarf » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:52 pm wrote:I slated the team in the first-half for their poor mental aptitude, but credit to them they came out in the second-half having regrouped and looked a lot more composed. Last season that probably wouldn't have happened and we'd have gone on to lose the match, so credit where credit is due.

we deputised 5 kids in that starting line up and they did well enough to help us go 2 up.
the 2 goals we cheaply gave away were gut wrenching but the warning signs were there.everytime they put it over the top our players followed the ball and the front men in leaving room for either osman or naismith to push on for a half a$$ed clearance which they got.
gerrard cant continue in that role as its past him now.he hasnt got the legs to go forward and support and track back at the same time.he needs to be in a forward role with almost a free licence to roam for us to get the best back out of him.I never thought id hear myself say this either but the sooner lucas comes back and this can happen the better.
2nd half we defended much better but sacrificed our creativity in suso and sahin but the occasion needed those changes and fair play to rodgers for realising this. I was one of his biggest critics last season for never having a plan B to shut up shop as swansea often threw away points for being gung ho till the end.

Reina came out a week or so ago and said Skrtel and Agger is the best defensive partnership in the history of the club and I laughed because I remember Hyypia and Henchoz being a much better partnership at the back. That's what we need at the back another Sami Hyypia.[/quote]

Surely that is just great psychological talk. At the end of the day, Reina knows about Sami, Carra, Henchoz - the list goes on. But he doesn't play with them and they don't play anymore - so move on and do the best with what you've got. Perhaps Agger and Skrtel will believe him, gain confidence and get even better.
This is what BR is relying on - SENIOR players BOSSING themselves and the younger players - even if it is BS - Reina's only doing what he gets paid to do.
the lone wolf
LFC Basic Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:21 pm

red till i die!! » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:53 pm wrote:

yeah, maybe rodgers is learning to be a bit more pragmatic. his basic philosophy is the right one but there`s nothing wrong with mixing it up sometimes. i think our late 80`s team had the right balance, they played some stunning stuff but they were also prepared to throw the ball into aldo in the middle.
i still think there`s a place in this team for andy carroll, he wouldnt score bucketloads himself but i think the likes of suarez and even sterling could really benefit from his presense in the team.
sterling doesnt look like a stereotypical winger to me, he likes to play on the last shoulder (a bit like michael owen did when he first broke into the team) and he`s got goals in him that lad. i think he`d cause havoc working off carroll.
after chrimbo i`d like to see us try this line up.....

reina

johnson                  skrtel         agger              enrique

lucas         allen

sahin/shelvey

sterling               carroll           suarez
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby JC_81 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:58 pm

Overall I wouldn't say we deserved to win that game.  Our two goals were our only chances in a half that Everton dominated since Osman's goal.  After going two ahead it is amazing to think we were actually lucky to be going in on level terms.  Second half was scrappy.  The changes Rodgers made saved a point as we were getting overrun and out battled, but it also highlighted how daft it is not to have Carroll in the squad as an alternative.  Oh how we could have done with him today.  Punting long balls to Suarez and Sterling sure as f**k isn't tiki taka football and Carroll would have been ideal the situation we were in.  Everton closed us down really well and pressed us high, other teams will take note of that now because we failed miserably to play the ball on the deck up against that.  Didn't help that Brad Jones hoofed everything coming his way and our tempo setter Allen had a stinker.

But the disallowed Suarez goal sent me over the edge.  To say we aren't getting the rub of the green this season is a massive understatement.  School boy error from the linesman there, bottled it and changed his mind under pressure from protesting Everton players.  Latest flag I've ever seen.

Loved Suarez's dive celebration in front of Moyes, and I loved it even more that his captain was booked for simulation after he stated this week in the press that diving was ruining the game!  Now that is irony of the highest order.

I was however disappointed in Wisdom and Suso.  I felt the occasion really got to them, especially Wisdom who got literally torn apart by Mirallas first half and Baines second half.  Rodgers did well to get Henderson on when he did.  You'll get that with kids that age though, they'll be better off for that experience.

Onwards and upwards.  A point away to Everton ain't a bad point given how well they've been playing.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:38 am

john craig » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:58 pm wrote:Overall I wouldn't say we deserved to win that game.  Our two goals were our only chances in a half that Everton dominated since Osman's goal.  After going two ahead it is amazing to think we were actually lucky to be going in on level terms.  Second half was scrappy.  The changes Rodgers made saved a point as we were getting overrun and out battled, but it also highlighted how daft it is not to have Carroll in the squad as an alternative.  Oh how we could have done with him today.  Punting long balls to Suarez and Sterling sure as f**k isn't tiki taka football and Carroll would have been ideal the situation we were in.  Everton closed us down really well and pressed us high, other teams will take note of that now because we failed miserably to play the ball on the deck up against that.  Didn't help that Brad Jones hoofed everything coming his way and our tempo setter Allen had a stinker.

But the disallowed Suarez goal sent me over the edge.  To say we aren't getting the rub of the green this season is a massive understatement.  School boy error from the linesman there, bottled it and changed his mind under pressure from protesting Everton players.  Latest flag I've ever seen.

Loved Suarez's dive celebration in front of Moyes, and I loved it even more that his captain was booked for simulation after he stated this week in the press that diving was ruining the game!  Now that is irony of the highest order.

I was however disappointed in Wisdom and Suso.  I felt the occasion really got to them, especially Wisdom who got literally torn apart by Mirallas first half and Baines second half.  Rodgers did well to get Henderson on when he did.  You'll get that with kids that age though, they'll be better off for that experience.

Onwards and upwards.  A point away to Everton ain't a bad point given how well they've been playing.

good post mate.
i disagree a bit with your comment about allen having a stinker though john, he maybe had a bit of a stinker in terms of getting the ball from our back four/keeper and being the link between the defence and midfield but i thought he had enough on his plate with his defensive duties, he was like red adair putting out fires all over the pitch.
if it wasnt for allen we would have been completely over run.
he`s been a terrific buy.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games