Everton V Liverpool  Sunday 13.30pm Kick Off.

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby The Hustler » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:20 pm

Can't wait for this one. Thought I would start it off seeing as it's only 3 days away.

Can't go to this match, but I'll be watching in the pub.

I wonder what the odds are, of one of our players getting injured by the projectiles that the bluenose fans always through at our players during corners etc.

I predict 0-2 to us, and 2 red and 6 yellow cards. And also, Fellaini's afro getting blown off in high winds.

Lets Bash those bitter bluenoses.  :buttrock
The Hustler
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:03 pm

'There have been 18 managers in @LFC's history: 17 of them failed to win at Goodison Park on their first visit'

:oh:

I have to say, for some feckin reason (no, not because of that reassuring stat above) I'm not looking forward to this one. Partly perhaps because Everton have been in such good form, their home, their crowd and the fact I think some of our lads will be a bit leggy come the last 20mins, along with the fact we can't really hit a cows aR.se with a banjo and I see odds stacking against us everywhere. I'll have everything crossed for Sunday.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:12 pm

i know it's a cliche but form does go out the window in this. even if everton are in better form than us we still turn them over more often than not. pienaar is a big miss for them, fellaini even more so if he's doesn't make it. we're off the back of three clean sheets.

i'd seriously consider playing assaidi over suso in this as his direct approach will be vital in a game of this magnitude. i'd also consider henderson over sahin but can't see this happening. lets just hope gerrard and suarez were saving their best for this aswell as they were both poor yesterday.

i just hope we're not talking about the game being decided by marriner. there's nearly always a red card in this fixture and he could quite clearly lose control of it.

2-1 to us.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:15 pm

Kenny Kan » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:03 pm wrote:'There have been 18 managers in @LFC's history: 17 of them failed to win at Goodison Park on their first visit'

:oh:

I have to say, for some feckin reason (no, not because of that reassuring stat above) I'm not looking forward to this one. Partly perhaps because Everton have been in such good form, their home, their crowd and the fact I think some of our lads will be a bit leggy come the last 20mins, along with the fact we can't really hit a cows aR.se with a banjo and I see odds stacking against us everywhere. I'll have everything crossed for Sunday.

And the one that did was Kenny, once in each spell he was manager.

:buttrock
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:18 pm

It's the derby ! Will be with my BS supporting brother and I hope it's not him happy in the car afterwards. The fixtures have got nasty in recent years but believe recent events have brought the clubs closer again.

This will be a massively emotional game and can see it being a draw and both teams united and happy with the point. A defeat is unbearable at the moment - they finished above us last season , they have been doing well this season - beat us and they take that confidence and surge ahead - we can't let that happen
Benny The Noon

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:54 pm

fellaini has trained the last 2 days and looks set to start.
i`d love to say i think we are going to win but hand on heart i dont think we will. i cant see the players fully shaking off the effects of last nights game in just 2 days, derby games are not just physically draining contests but mentally as well, and come the second half i think our players are going to feel like they are running through treacle.
everton have only lost 1 of their last 16 league games so to turn them over at their place would be a big ask anyway but to play them basically 48 hours after a tough european tie is asking a lot. whoever compiles the fixtures hasn`t done rodgers any favours whatsoever this season.
i think we`ll give them a decent game for an hour or so but i think the wheels will come off us in the last half hour, we have a bit of a tendancy to run out of steam (and direction) in the last 20 minutes of games anyway, for instance we ran out of gas late on against anji last night and against reading the week end but i think our players will really hit the wall sunday.
i just hope rodgers is brave enough to bring off some big names if they are obviously not totally recovered from thursday, if gerrard is walking around and not tracking back bring him off. we cant afford to get outworked and over run.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:59 pm

It seems to have written the script already.

With the way he is playing at the moment Gerrard going off wouldnt be a bad thing - did you know that no other player has given the ball away this season in the prem more than Gerrard has - i would be totally happy with Henderson playing alongside Sahin and Allen. Sterling is 17 and well rested along with Suso. Suarez wasnt tired on Thursday he was just poor - i wouldnt worry about him being tired.

Being tired for Sunday is not an excuse.

Fellani hasnt had match fitness for a couple weeks now - so he will run out of steam before anyone.

If they are running out of steam in the last 20 mins of matches in Oct then there is a fitness issue within the squad then.
Benny The Noon

Postby the lone wolf » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:14 pm

ODDS are against us just on last season alone, with what Kenny did to them. It is going to be very difficult!
I'd settle for a loss with no injuries - I'd not like to see us win or draw with a list of casualties to boot.
The likes of Henderson and Downing should be considered to start, simply that it can possibly ease the woe of loss to injury.
One thing is for sure, ir Everton can't take the points, they will take our limbs...

Just hope BR realises this is a battle not a football match.
the lone wolf
LFC Basic Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:48 pm

Benny The Noon » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:59 pm wrote:It seems to have written the script already.

With the way he is playing at the moment Gerrard going off wouldnt be a bad thing - did you know that no other player has given the ball away this season in the prem more than Gerrard has - i would be totally happy with Henderson playing alongside Sahin and Allen. Sterling is 17 and well rested along with Suso. Suarez wasnt tired on Thursday he was just poor - i wouldnt worry about him being tired.

Being tired for Sunday is not an excuse.

Fellani hasnt had match fitness for a couple weeks now - so he will run out of steam before anyone.

If they are running out of steam in the last 20 mins of matches in Oct then there is a fitness issue within the squad then.

everton havent played for a week. we will have played on the thursday night and the sunday morning, any team who has had to play two games within basically 48 hours is going to be at a disadvantage against a side who hasnt played for a week.
managers routinely talk about it being a disadvantage and managers have complained to the F.A in the past over the issue but somehow you reckon it wont be a factor?
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:53 pm

Not of any significance - the confidence gained from winning last night however is immeasurable.

The only person that might struggle is Gerrard but then I think he should be on the bench currently anyway.

If the players can't lift themselves and find that extra 10% for the derby then they need to find another club

It's the derby - I don't expect excuses of tiredness. Plenty teams play on Thursday and then Sunday - we used to do it Wed then Sat and competed.
Benny The Noon

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:03 pm

Benny The Noon » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:53 pm wrote:Not of any significance - the confidence gained from winning last night however is immeasurable.

The only person that might struggle is Gerrard but then I think he should be on the bench currently anyway.

If the players can't lift themselves and find that extra 10% for the derby then they need to find another club

It's the derby - I don't expect excuses of tiredness. Plenty teams play on Thursday and then Sunday - we used to do it Wed then Sat and competed.

rodgers blamed the poor performance against arsenal on the european game the previous thursday.
you could say the players should have been up for a big game like that one too.
you only have to be slightly off the pace (like we were in that arsenal game) to struggle and sundays game is going to be a lot more intense than that arsenal game.
i`m not trying to say our players are going to be cramping up after 10 minutes, what i am saying is that we will probably lack a bit of sharpness, we will be second to every loose ball.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:09 pm

We lost against Arsenal because we were sloppy and made mistakes - Gerrard gave the ball away and neither him or Johnson got back for the first goal. It was a poor excuse for a poor performance. It wasn't fitness or tiredness or being off the pace - it was errors from players.

It's modern football now where you only get 2-3 games in between games - if they can't handle it now then the Xmas period isn't going to be pretty when they play 4 games in a 12 day period or so.

If anything we should still be sharp after Thursday whilst Everton could be lacking a bit after a long break.
Benny The Noon

Postby only me » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:55 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:03 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:53 pm wrote:Not of any significance - the confidence gained from winning last night however is immeasurable.

rodgers blamed the poor performance against arsenal on the european game the previous thursday.
you could say the players should have been up for a big game like that one too.
you only have to be slightly off the pace (like we were in that arsenal game) to struggle and sundays game is going to be a lot more intense than that arsenal game.
i`m not trying to say our players are going to be cramping up after 10 minutes, what i am saying is that we will probably lack a bit of sharpness, we will be second to every loose ball.

Moral and confidence should be high after beating a top Russian team ,it Is a derby game ,Tiredness is an excuse after a loss. If we lose it's probably because they are playing better football at the moment that's all.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby ken_job » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:59 pm

I don't believe 'running out of steam' will be an issue either - the players are back two months now and should be fighting fit. plenty of teams have to play twice in a week and the players are well able for it, the way they're so closely monitored nowadays if anybodys not up to it fitness wise (perhaps the three rested against anzhi) then BR and staff will be aware of it. anyway i think BR did the right thing in trying to build momentum with another victory mid-week. in the end we only scraped it against the russians and we wont know if it was really a good idea until after the final whistle on sunday ... but, its important to build up steam and produce an 'unbeaten run' at this stage of the season and especially after our slow start.
I reckon we're going to go into this one with confidence and we'll come out with the points.

1-2 hard fought victory to the travelling reds
ken_job

Postby aCe' » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:24 pm

Everton might be unbeaten in 5 in the league but their last 2 results havent been great. Their last 4 games were against QPR (20th in the league), Wigan (16th), Southampton (18th), and Leeds (championship). They won 1, drew 2 and lost 1, failing to keep a clean sheet in any of the games. I wouldnt quite say form is on their side based on that. In the same period, we played 6 games against Anzhi (EC), Reading (19th), Stoke (13th), Udinese (EC), Norwich (15th) & WestBrom (6th) recording 4 wins, 1 draw, and 1 loss to Udinese that we probably didnt deserve. We've kept 3 clean sheets in a row now and have +5 goal difference in the time period as opposed to their +1. IF anything, we have the momentum going into this fixture and not them. Add the suspensions and injury worries into the equation and we should really be going into this one looking to win in.

I really dont think that theres any chance Rodgers would even consider resting or benching Gerrard for this one. He hasnt had the best of seasons yet, but hes always likely to pop up with a goal in a tight game like this one. To be honest, I'd bench Sterling and try to use him as an impact sub in the second half. Bring him on against tired defenders and have him try to use his pace on the break. I'd start Downing and Suso on either flank with Gerrard playing the highest of 3 midfielders.

1-0. Gerrard
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games