LEEDS UNITED VS LIVERPOOL - carling cup discussion

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:29 am

I didn't see the point playing Mascherano against a third tier side

I think Rafa was expecting some rough tactics from Leeds,  lower league sides usually try to make up for what they lack in ability with heightened aggression,  made sense to me to have two of our "tougher" players, Mascherano and Carragher, in the side.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby DrPepe » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:53 am

Owzat wrote:
bigmick wrote:
s@int wrote:The truth is if we have to rely on most of the squad players on show tonight for more than the odd cameo appearance in the league, we had better start trying in the cups....... because we would have NO CHANCE in the league.

None of them impressed, none of them took the chance to shine, and none of them come even close to challenging the more established players.

That is the reality S@int.

If we have to rely on he Greek for a sustained period at the back, we are fecked (I was concerned by his grapple with their striker from the ground, could easily have been a penalty for that piece of silliness).

If we have to rely on either Dossena or Deggen we are fecked. Neither IMHO are anywhere near good enough, and Dossena is just about as bad as I've ever seen in a Liverpool shirt. A truly awful, terrible, astonishingly bad signing.

If we have to rely on Spearing we are fecked because IMHO he isn't and never will be good enough.

If we have to rely on N'Gog as a central striker if God forbid Torres get's injured, we are fecked.

So in essence, as long as Torres and Gerrard stay fit and play in practically every single match, we'll be competitive. We haven't got anyone who even remotely, slightly covers for either. As long as Carragher stays fit, Johnson, Kuyt and Reina, we have a good team.

It's going to be a roller coaster of a season, just for a change  :D .

I think N'Gog is ok, although I am wondering where a certain Ukrainian was. I couldn't believe Rafa's substitutions, then again I think Saturday was the first time in a long time a substitution seemed to be based on what was happening in the game more than preset and routine.

The Greek CB was just for cover, based on theoretical strengths. We sold Warnock and brought in FBs like Dossena and Degen (free) Spearing will probably go the way of players like Guthrie and Mellor, get the odd chance then be shipped off.

N'Gog has scored five in 22 appearances, not bad for a benchwarmer who gets about 32 minutes per appearance on average - Babel averages 46 minutes per appearance

N'GOG

90+ mins : 2 apps, 1 goal (0.500 goals/app, 180 mins/goal)
60-89 mins : 4 apps, 2 goals (0.500 goals/app, 139 mins/goal)
30-59 mins : 1 app, 0 goals
0-29 mins : 15 apps, 2 goals (0.133 goals/app, 97 mins/goal)

So minutes per goal is 142 overall compared to a certain Fernando Torres who scores every 128 minutes.

MINUTES PER GOAL (SELECTED/RECENT STRIKERS)

128 Torres
142 N'Gog
147 Fowler
------------------
189 Crouch
257 Keane
268 Kuyt*
------------------
279 Voronin
299 Bellamy
318 Babel*

*put in because they have played striker, but do take into account that Kuyt and Babel both play wide more than up top. The lines mark the 180 and 270 minutes marks, or two games and three games worth of minutes.

liked the analysis, o...

how do 30m strikers like berbatov and shevchenko compare...   :D
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby lakes10 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:55 am

Ciggy wrote:
lakes10 wrote:
Ciggy wrote:Job done potential banana skin tonight, onwards and upwards.  :)

no they need to look at it and learn from it.

lol got to say i could not have picked a better pic.
you are using someone that has lost all respect
someone that can not care about her children
someone that takes drugs
someone that turns up on tv shows stoned
someone that talks loads of rubish
someone that that always lies

i think you should pic a better pic to speak for you
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:04 am

s@int wrote:The truth is if we have to rely on most of the squad players on show tonight for more than the odd cameo appearance in the league, we had better start trying in the cups....... because we would have NO CHANCE in the league.

None of them impressed, none of them took the chance to shine, and none of them come even close to challenging the more established players.

Amen to that....for those given an opportunity to stake a claim for a first team place, not one of them really took the bull by the horns. Degen did OK, it has to be said. Can't really rate Dossena. Eggnog just looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights - on a couple of occasions he had fairly decent opportunities to take a punt at goal but hit the ball straight at the defenders legs....Spearing looked industrious enough, a couple of decent balls through....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby bunglemark2 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:06 am

Reg wrote:
GYBS wrote:
tonyeh wrote:Who the feck is it?

Its that druggie iceland bird kerry something .

Shes a typical overweight over-opinionated trumped up little tart by the look of it. Probably had more shags than the whole of this forum put together.

Reg, stop sitting on the fence - what exactly are you trying to say ?  :D
bunglemark2

Postby Ciggy » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:19 am

lakes10 wrote:lol got to say i could not have picked a better pic.
someone that takes drugs

Dont you feckin dare compare me to that. Out of order you are that gif is a joke but its something you cannot take with your lack of sense of humour. You are becoming a sh!tstirer and for that reason you are going on ignore, you are constantly quoteing my posts to get a reaction, now p!ss off.
Last edited by Ciggy on Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:22 am

Ciggy wrote:
lakes10 wrote:lol got to say i could not have picked a better pic.
someone that takes drugs

Dont you feckin dare compare me to that. Out of order you are that gif is a joke but its something you cannot take with your lack of sense of humour.

lol Ciggy i think its you that could not take the joke.

soon or later the more you used it the chance that someone going to say what i said increased lol
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ICE-MAN » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:36 am

Cant understand some of the sh*t that is posted on these forums at times! People slating Ngog and saying he lacks awareness and movement and was muscled out of it by two League 1 defenders!!

The lad is only 20 years old give him a break, he has scored a few goals for us in the relatively few appearances he has made for the first team! Yeah he looks big and awkward at times but hes got talent! Were not talkin about someone in their mid 20's here who is an established pro!

What chance have our youngsters got of ever breaking into the 1st team on a regular basis if the so called supporters of the club continue to slate players when theyre young and after only a few appearances!! It seems that if a youngster isnt breakin into the side like a Rooney or Owen when they were young then theyre destined for failure!!

It was a tough carling cup tie against a good leeds side in front of a packed elland road, Ngog was up front against two old school centre halves who liked nothing more than to kick him round the pitch! I thought Ngog led the line very well considering the circumstances!!
ICE-MAN

Postby JC_81 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:50 am

I think the posts on here are a bit more negative than I was expecting.

Only saw the game up til Ngog's goal before going to work, but I thought we did alright.  Bearing in mind Leeds were at home and right up for it, playing their best side, and we had a complete mix match that clearly haven't played together before.  Is a 1-0 win a disaster??  Certainly not.

Result aside, the performance was ok.  The defence weren't very cohesive as you'd expect from a back four who've never played together before and to be fair to Leeds they played well to open us up on a few occasions especially down their right, that lad Snodgrass was pretty decent. 

I thought Spearing played well considering it was his 1st start and Ngog played his best game for us.  He has shown some improvement in his ability to hold the ball up, his movement was good and he took his goal well.  Again Babel performed pretty well and his effort has certainly improved in these three appearances.  His final ball was lacking but that will improve the more he plays.  He's not knocking on the door of the 1st team yet, but I certainly feel we've at last found his best position - right wing.

Maybe we played so pathetically in the last 25 mins that it erased all the positives I saw in the first 65?
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:05 am

lakes10 wrote:
Ciggy wrote:
lakes10 wrote:
Ciggy wrote:Job done potential banana skin tonight, onwards and upwards.  :)

no they need to look at it and learn from it.

lol got to say i could not have picked a better pic.
someone that takes drugs

Bang out of :censored: order that right there , im sorry ,why try to go there ,its like me putting this pic up , an you thinking it was you

Last edited by NANNY RED on Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:31 am

Imagine having a nose like that? all the girls would be queing up to sit on ya face :laugh:
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:56 am

Enjoyed last night. Really good atmosphere and Leeds gave us a good test, especially in the first half. Good result in the end though in what was a potentially tough fixture.

Positives were Degen (yes him) who had a decent game, the Greek who won absolutely everything in the air, Aurelio, who for me was MOTM and Ngog's finish which was excellent. Thought Spearing did ok aswell but anybody who thinks he's anywhere near as good as Lucas needs their head testing.

Oh and Mascherano seemed like an angry guy all night who thought "what the hell have I done to deserve being played in this game?"  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby bunglemark2 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:08 am

Tell you what frustrated me more than anything about last night's match...

I don't have Sly Sports so I tried to watch it streaming. FFS, I must have tried a dozen different streams, ALL of which froze, broke down, ceased to exist etc. during the game. So I spent most of the game clicking from one to the other to try to watch it...Grrrrrrrrrrrr.....

And that's to say nowt of the cack performance in general...

So, suggestions please on an ePostcard to this address : where do all of you non-subscribers to the devil (Rupert Murdoch) watch the game ? Which streaming portal do you use ?
bunglemark2

Postby GYBS » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:04 pm

ICE-MAN wrote:Cant understand some of the sh*t that is posted on these forums at times! People slating Ngog and saying he lacks awareness and movement and was muscled out of it by two League 1 defenders!!

The lad is only 20 years old give him a break, he has scored a few goals for us in the relatively few appearances he has made for the first team! Yeah he looks big and awkward at times but hes got talent! Were not talkin about someone in their mid 20's here who is an established pro!

What chance have our youngsters got of ever breaking into the 1st team on a regular basis if the so called supporters of the club continue to slate players when theyre young and after only a few appearances!! It seems that if a youngster isnt breakin into the side like a Rooney or Owen when they were young then theyre destined for failure!!

It was a tough carling cup tie against a good leeds side in front of a packed elland road, Ngog was up front against two old school centre halves who liked nothing more than to kick him round the pitch! I thought Ngog led the line very well considering the circumstances!!

seconded - good post - thought ngog was our best player on the night
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:28 pm

I have to agree with Ice Man as well.  I thought Ngog played well and took his chance well and clinically, maybe a reality check for those who would prefer to see Beckford because he is British and has a rep in the third division.

Deggen looks good going forward and had a smile on his face all game, Spearing did ok and Im pleased he had a run in the team. Mash got better as he got fired up and Babel actually looks hungry.  It might be blasphemy but I though the Greek was our best centre half for long periods of the game.

Dossena does look like a bad buy and I hope nothing happens to Reina as the keeper isnt that good.

Potential upset but a resonable professional job with the second string so Im not shouting from the rooftops but am definitely happy.  All in all a good game of football and a competitive challenge from a big club who look like they would be a decent championship side.

People say they dont care about the league cup and I generally agree with this but how can they then slate a second team who always looked like they would get the result by hook or by crook,  lucky yes but once the goal went in it was over
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games