Liverpool v Leeds

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Santa » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:53 pm

Credit to Leeds, the out hassle us, out ran us, have more possession and take the fight to us. Not every team will or is able to do this.

Well done Leeds...let's see how they can carry on this way as the short season kicks into high gear
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:57 pm

Fair play to them for putting it up. They certainly caused a lot of problems with their approach.  It being their first game back in the prem had a bit to do with it as well but they out possessed us which I can't remember when the last time that happened, they also converted the few chances they actually got so will probably feel they deserved a point.

We came out of the block at a good pace , got the early goal and then got a bit complacent and let them back in. Far too big of a gap opening up between vvd and Gomez at times which gets exploited.

Salah looks sharp, still a lot of frustrating stuff but today was his day. MOTM for me.

Important to get that win but need to improve defensively for the next few games.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:00 pm

I'm not happy !  :kungfu:

We got the three points and that's what counts but we made hard work of it.

Lazy f*cking defending BUT worse than that for the 1st hour of the game our players were all smiling and laughing at every missed opportunity or potential defensive ***** up !

Hope Klopp rips into them.

Thank f*ck for the 2 penalties that gave us the win, we're not gonna get them every game.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:02 pm

Defensively we looked very poor.. Unorganised and rushing into challanges. I want Gomez to succeed as VVDs partner.. But he still has games where he is all over the place and the game today was one of those.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:59 pm

A real sh1t show from the defence.

Leeds were up for it and it's going to be the same story all season. We are the champions after all.

Only good thing is we were awful and still won. Onwards and upwards
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Franky000 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:27 am

After the season we had its normal for people to interpret anything other than those lofty standards a failure, but let’s be realistic....we were never going to keep those performances up indefinitely. The positive thing to me is that while we don’t look as sharp as that team which run away with the title by January, we’ve maintained the same dogged determination and never say die attitude (even though the body hasn’t always followed suit). We were lucky today but how many times have we robbed the opposition after being up against the ropes - sign of champions. Saying that I’m hoping we can bring in a new face or two before the window closes as the fixtures will come thick n fast.
Franky000

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:56 am

Yeah most teams we’ve had over the last 30 years would have thought that yesterday wasn’t going to be their day and would have thrown the towel in mentally, this particular bunch of players have certainly got big hearts that’s for sure, that said if we have to score 4 goals every week to get a result never mind win the league we’ll be lucky to stay in the division.
Our defence needs to tighten the ***** up and sharpish, agree with what other posters have said about Joe, he’s going to be an unbelievable defender when he gets into his late 20’s early 30’s prime but at the moment he keeps dashing off into the midfield leaving Virgil to defend 2 on 1’s, it sounds crazy to say this after conceding 3 at home but we got lucky yesterday, if Leeds would have had a better final ball that Bamford would have been getting put clean through all day, Joe was all over the place.
If Chelsea turn up next week at Stamford Bridge and we defend like we have been doing recently then it could be carnage, if Blackpool can score 2 and Leeds 3 at our place then Pulisic et al could really run up a cricket score, to be fair to our lads though over the last 2-3 years anytime anyone has asked them a question they’ve generally found the answers so fingers crossed they can do it again, deffo going into next week with a lot of trepidation though I won’t lie.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:20 am

Imo our season will be defined by the next 8 or so weeks, first we play Chelsea (A), then a rejuvenated Arsenal (H), then Villa (A) then Everton (A), two games after that we play City (A) and Leicester (H) back to back.
If we are still in the mix at that point (mid November) then we’ll have a great chance of retaining our title because the fixture list is quite kind to us after that plus we’ll already have (on paper at least) 3 of our 4 toughest fixtures out of the way (City (A), Chelsea (A) and Everton (A)), incidentally we don’t play the last of those “toughest games on paper” (United (A)) until next May when the title race could already be done and dusted. As I say it all opens up for us after mid November.
The flip side to all that of course is that we could easily draw a couple and lose a couple and find ourselves 10 points adrift of the leaders and as City found out last year it’s incredibly difficult to play catch-up. These first 8 weeks will be crucial imo.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Tommy Smith » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:24 pm

Good luck lads
Tommy Smith
LFC Member

Postby devaney » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:57 pm

Credit to Leeds they played some great football and made life very difficult for Liverpool. They certainly deserved a point. The first penalty was harsh. VVD obviously thought so and very sportingly handed them a goal  :laugh: Parking the bus is not in their DNA and it made for a great football match.

Excellent performance from a very lively Mo. Keita started well but does seem to disappear. Defence was spluttering but it is early days and that won’t last long.

The next few weeks will be testing.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:35 pm

Glad we got 3 point but it wasn't a good performance. Poor mistake which need to be stopped. I think Virgil needs to revert to being a collosal and stop those silly errors. I think he tries to be too casual at times.

Anyhow positives, Salah looks hungry, played fantastic.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:40 am

That was similar to the opening day 4-1 against Norwich last year only this time the promoted team had a bit more punch. I know Henderson is an important player who we want to get match fit ASAP but it was a surprise seeing him starting having had so little training and no pre-season games after his injury. He played as the DM and was off the pace so the defence was badly exposed. Even outside of his two penalties Salah was absolutely electric. And another good performance by Jones although you could argue he could have tracked the run for the third goal. Overall our attacking play was really good but we need to use this week to focus on the shape of the team.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games