Youth development.... - reserve/youth team discussion

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:48 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:
stmichael wrote:Just watching the reserves against the Mancs at the moment. El Zhar's having a cracking game.

I missed it, but after game David Johnson was saying that El Zhar, Ngog and Plessis had been poor and not done nearly enough as the more experienced members of the team.
What was the end result btw ?

It was 0-0 mate.

Ablett has his hands tied to be honest. Whoever manages the reserves will have to cope with the politics behind the scenes and having to pick players that they don't really want to pick.

The fact is, some of those players aren't anywhere near good enough to play for us, but Ablett HAS to pick them over some of the better lads in the 18s because of the political battle going on.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:00 pm

GYBS wrote:Both Darby and Spearing slotted in nicely and didnt look out of place - kelly didnt really have much to do .

I've said it re Babel, Lucas, Keane and the whole side that played in that 3-1 win - PSV were pants. We had a PSV fan in the office the other day, I looked up their league position and they're FIFTEEN points off the top

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/tables?league=ned.1&cc=5739

Those who played well were not exactly tested, and the game was drifting when they came on
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:05 pm

Kelly played really well against United.

El Zhar had flashes but no end product, hardly ever even got off a final ball as he would beat 3 defenders on a long run only to have the 4th take it off him

Pacheco played well from a central midfield role.
JoeTerp

Postby Owzat » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:08 pm

JoeTerp wrote:Kelly played really well against United.

El Zhar had flashes but no end product, hardly ever even got off a final ball as he would beat 3 defenders on a long run only to have the 4th take it off him

You seem to have a thing for the kids, how many times have they been on the bench for the first team this season? (combined, excluding El Zhar and N'Gog)

I'd like to see Patch on the bench, not sure it's worth risking defensive kids on the bench as you might need them in a crisis ie Carra limping off, and you wouldn't want to waste too many spots on the bench with defenders instead of attacking options
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:15 pm

Owzat wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:Kelly played really well against United.

You seem to have a thing for the kids, how many times have they been on the bench for the first team this season? (combined, excluding El Zhar and N'Gog)

I'd like to see Patch on the bench, not sure it's worth risking defensive kids on the bench as you might need them in a crisis ie Carra limping off, and you wouldn't want to waste too many spots on the bench with defenders instead of attacking options

:laugh: pmsl  :laugh:

No offence Joe, I just found it funny mate.
account deleted by request

Postby stmichael » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:26 pm

Reserves playing Everton tonight. Should be an interesting game.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby bigmick » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:29 pm

Who amongst the reserves is the one player who I should be keeping my eye out for? I've never seen him play, but this Pachecho kid sounds interesting to me. I've got this image in my head that he's like an even younger Fabregas, only better.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:40 pm

bigmick wrote:Who amongst the reserves is the one player who I should be keeping my eye out for? I've never seen him play, but this Pachecho kid sounds interesting to me. I've got this image in my head that he's like an even younger Fabregas, only better.

He's slightly different to Fabregas Mick. He's plays in the hole, a bit like Aimar and has decent vision. His touch is also excellent for one so young. As far as I'm concerned, if you're good enough age should be irrelevant.

To be honest, Pacheco, along with Nemeth should have got more opportunites this season with the new 7 sub rule imo. I don't see what Ngog offers that these two can't.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby GYBS » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:41 pm

different type of player too fabregas mate - pacheco is lots of pace and lots of skill just needs to be nutured and developed . he is a messi type player more (not saying you can compare him to messi) or maybe a beardo type just with a bit more pace and skill - like to drop of a leading striker .
Last edited by GYBS on Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:42 pm

Well I've never seen Pachecho play as I say, but I have seen N'Gog play and I agree I can't see what he offers that the other lads can't either.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:43 pm

i guess the one thing eggnog has over the other two is a bit more experience playing at a higher level .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:37 pm

Finished 1-1 last night. Short highlights here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgE3SUEDx4A
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:12 pm

GYBS wrote:i guess the one thing eggnog has over the other two is a bit more experience playing at a higher level .

I knew an old man who boasted he'd been playing crib for 40 years, I'd only been learned how to play it 5 or so years previous and only been playing it regularly for two or three years thereafter and was better than him.

It's what you do with the experience that matters, not how much you've had. And you can get some 17 or 18 year olds better than players who've been playing for years and in their 30s - experience isn't necessarily the only factor. Now we've returned Keane to spudz you have to wonder about the back-up for Torres, most of the options (Kuyt & Babel) are used wide more often than not and another is out on loan in Germany.
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:20 pm

GYBS wrote:i guess the one thing eggnog has over the other two is a bit more experience playing at a higher level .

I see what your saying mate but he clearly looks well out of his depth so far in the premiership.
I watched the ressies last night and Pacheco was MOM, his decision making needs improving but his ability to spot a pass is a real talent, if he did play behind Torres for the last 10-15 minutes of a premiership game i am sure it would give us a chance to gage where he is at.
Especially while our options are so limited.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:31 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:

I see what your saying mate but he clearly looks well out of his depth so far in the premiership.
I watched the ressies last night and Pacheco was MOM, his decision making needs improving but his ability to spot a pass is a real talent, if he did play behind Torres for the last 10-15 minutes of a premiership game i am sure it would give us a chance to gage where he is at.
Especially while our options are so limited.

Same here Ace , he's a cracking player . Agree totally with what your saying about him . He deserves a chance .
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion