Youth development.... - reserve/youth team discussion

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Fo Dne » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:01 pm

GYBS wrote:yet our ressies team has beaten the arsenal team on a number of occasions ? Wenger just plays them all in one lump as he doesnt have that big a sqaud and doesnt need to play first teamers who arent getting pitch time where as we needed to with players like degen,agger,lucas, ngog etc.

:laugh:
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:49 pm

metalhead wrote:Good article Nanny

Rafa made a big mistake selling Warnock and Guthrie. Guthrie at least is better than lucas, he would have been a really decent 4th choice midfielder.

Warnock is better than that c@ck 7m dossena

I watched Pompey vs Blackburn at Fratton with my cousin (down from Warrington) today and spent much of the game wondering why Warnock wasn't still playing for the reds :(
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:59 pm

I can't believe it too scott, would have been a really good left back for us.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:21 am

The big thing for me here is no scouse lads seem to be coming through . I mean since i can remember in all the years ive been going the game we have always had a local lads in the first team. Ok i know Steven Darby is on the fringe but will he actualy make it . i think hes good enough but im not the boss.  Surely to god theres kids from Liverpool who are good enough. You see other teams with Scouse  kids in there academys or in thr ressies .  through so why did they slip through our net. Im sure theres a lad on Man utds books whose a scouser , why have they got him an we havnt. if you see what i mean.

Once Carra an Gerrard go what then . I dread the day that we dont have a local lad in the team tbh
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:44 am

ive always liked Warnock, and how come there is no mention on David Thompson? i have a poster of him on my wall :D
maypaxvobiscum

Postby The_Rock » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:45 am

Along with warnock, Danny Guthrie is another one we let go too fast..... This guy is running the whole show in newcastle's midfield.

I can't believe beneitz rates Lucas over Guthrie.....
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:17 pm

Reserves currently 0-0 against Blackburn after about 10 minutes. Scrappy so far.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:50 pm

1-0 down at half time. the reserves are dire this year. don't know what the hell has happened to them.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby NANNY RED » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:16 pm

stmichael wrote:1-0 down at half time. the reserves are dire this year. don't know what the hell has happened to them.

Cheers for that i forgot they were on :laugh:
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Quadrophenia » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:30 pm

NANNY RED wrote:The big thing for me here is no scouse lads seem to be coming through . I mean since i can remember in all the years ive been going the game we have always had a local lads in the first team. Ok i know Steven Darby is on the fringe but will he actualy make it . i think hes good enough but im not the boss.  Surely to god theres kids from Liverpool who are good enough. You see other teams with Scouse  kids in there academys or in thr ressies .  through so why did they slip through our net. Im sure theres a lad on Man utds books whose a scouser , why have they got him an we havnt. if you see what i mean.

Once Carra an Gerrard go what then . I dread the day that we dont have a local lad in the team tbh

You mean like the 86 cup final love when we won the double? Who needs Scousers  :laugh:

Seriously though I don't think it's a question of being good enough anymore. I think young lads have to consider their future from the first time they committ to a club. For example would Leon Osmon, Tony Hibbert and James Vaughan all got games at Anfield at such an early age (if at all). Would Robbie Keane have progressed to the level he has now had he moved to Liverpool all those years ago and not Wolves? I think kids (or their agents because they have them from age 6 nowadays) realise a chance of a long term future in the Liverpool starting XI is very slim, so they'd rather move to Everton, Man City, West Ham where they are likely to be given a chance.

I think in the last ten years, we're finding it more and more difficult to produce the quality for a long term fix. People are talking about how good Warnock would be for us, but he was being pit against Traore until Djimi left and Aurelio came in. It just knocks the confidence out the youngsters. For me that's why this year's reserves are lacking the desire to succeed. Insua must have been sitting there at the back end of last year thinking 08/09 he's gonna make the left back his own, so we bring in Dossena instead. Nemeth must have been thinking he had a chance at stepping up to the first team instead we sign Ngog. Instead of giving Darby a go we bring in Degen. The players we've brought in to hinder the progress of the youth are no better than what we have already in our reserves/youth.

I just don't think this club is brave enough anymore to give the youngsters a go. I'm not asking for eight or nine in a game but if you put Insua in a defence of Arebloa, Carra, Skrtel and Reina behind them he's likely to play well than he is with Degen and (unfortunately) a past it Sami. We're not brave enough to give them a go (sustatined go not three games here and a six month wait for your fourth game) and that comes down to the pressure of delivering the Premiership. We don't feel we can take the risk of a youngster, when in reality it's less risk because a youngster is hungry and wants to impress rather than just coast through happy as larry. In years gone by when we were introducing youngsters year by year, they were coming into successful sides so it wasn't quite as diifcult a decision to put them in as it could be now.

Still I'd like to see a few given a go, because they can't be worse than some of that first team.
Last edited by Quadrophenia on Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are the Mods
We are the Mods
We are
We are
We are the Mods
Quadrophenia

Postby stmichael » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:34 pm

NANNY RED wrote:
stmichael wrote:1-0 down at half time. the reserves are dire this year. don't know what the hell has happened to them.

Cheers for that i forgot they were on :laugh:

really nan, don't bother. :laugh:

plessis is one of the worst players i've ever seen :no
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby metalhead » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:01 am

I watched the Liverpool youth v Leeds youth

I must say this kennedy fella is huge!
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:26 pm

metalhead wrote:I watched the Liverpool youth v Leeds youth

I must say this kennedy fella is huge!

thats why they call him "Big Joe Kennedy"
JoeTerp

Postby stmichael » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:45 pm

Good to see the likes of Darby and Spearing get on aswell. I like Spearing a lot, and hope he features on the bench more as the season goes on.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby NiftyNeil » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:57 pm

stmichael wrote:Good to see the likes of Darby and Spearing get on aswell. I like Spearing a lot, and hope he features on the bench more as the season goes on.

That was the best thing about last night, seeing the youngsters come on. I really like Spearing and I hope he gets more of a chance. He was very comfortable on the ball last night and knocked it about well. Nothing against Lucas, but I'd much rather see Spearing play than him.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion