YOSSI BENAYOUN TO JOIN CHELSEA - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:00 pm

bigmick wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:IMO, though, it's better compare him with Zenden,

Feck me Bob if that's the criteria we are going to use, I'll come out of retirement meself and have a go for a spot in the squad    :D

:laugh: I think Bob has decided to set the bar so low that he can't fail to be a success    :D
account deleted by request

Postby Sabre » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:04 pm

When making the comparison I don't think he was talking about the level of player, but the style.

Zenden didn't triumph in this team exactly, but he was the scapegoat more often than deserved. Zenden did have though the respect of Rafa, you don't use in the semifinal or final of the CL a player you don't trust. When used him, he was looking for some balance posession wise, IMHO. I think (I may be wrong) that Bad Bob's comparison is that they both have the same roles when Rafa plays them wide.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:21 pm

He's a player who can provide a jinky edge to our attack. His ability to cut sharply inside is pure class at times, although IMHO he's too lightweight, and not pacey or powerful enough to be considered top class. As a component within our squad, I think he's a valuable asset to have. He drifts inside too much to really be classed as a winger, and I don't think whipping the ball in is one of his strengths. Pennant provides this option to a degree. Perhaps we still require a top class winger who has ability as well as the power and pace needed in the EPL. Babel may be able to do a job on the wing, but I still views his best position as a left forward. The lack of a complete winger, is, IMHO one reason why we rotate more.
LFC2007

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:55 am

s@int wrote:
bigmick wrote:

Feck me Bob if that's the criteria we are going to use, I'll come out of retirement meself and have a go for a spot in the squad    :D

:laugh: I think Bob has decided to set the bar so low that he can't fail to be a success    :D

:laugh:

What I meant to say is he's not as good as Garcia but is streets better than Zenden.  As Sabre's correctly surmised, I think Rafa values him for his versatility, experience and professionalism, much like he did with Zenden.  There's no question in my mind that replacing Zenden with Yossi is a brilliant piece of business but I appreciate Saint's point about hoping that a/some truly class winger(s) had been part of this summer's transfer business.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:08 am

Bad Bob wrote:
s@int wrote:
bigmick wrote:

:laugh:

What I meant to say is he's not as good as Garcia but is streets better than Zenden.  As Sabre's correctly surmised, I think Rafa values him for his versatility, experience and professionalism, much like he did with Zenden.  There's no question in my mind that replacing Zenden with Yossi is a brilliant piece of business but I appreciate Saint's point about hoping that a/some truly class winger(s) had been part of this summer's transfer business.

don't agree...

I like the look of benyaoun (the way he plays I mean not his literal look) better than garcia's. He has more natural ability and football intelligence than garcia. What he is lacking is the physical presence... if he'd gone to the gym more often when he was 18-19 and put on a few kilos of muscle he could become a world class player. What he is lacking compared to garcia is also the spectacular... the big match performances...

Most of the time I didn't understand how garcia was playing when he was with us... it was really really fustrating... when we were pressing forward, he would slow down the pace instead of pressing forward as a winger, when he should be racing down the right flank, he would be moving sideways... it really disrupted the team's flow IMO... he was like el hadji diouf in that sense... the amazing thing is how he comes up with his match-winning individual brilliances...it was just unbelievable... out of nowhere he would storm past defenders... steal the ball, and 'touch' the ball past a keeper with a one-time volley ala klinnsmann...other times he would be heading the ball into the net out of the penalty box...they often seemed like lucky breaks but he did them often enough to know that they were the result of his ability... it's like jekyll and hyde performances within a single game... and to do that in extremely crucial matches in europe on the biggest stage is just amazing...

Now back to benyaoun...big mick's comparison of him with pennant is really interesting because it shows how much football intelligence the israeli captain has compared to pennant... these kinda things are sometimes very hard to coach into a player... to be at the right place at the right time... if pennant can learn that from benyaoun he would improve alot... it really depends on the mentallity of the player... when benyaoun gets the ball on the flank... he would often make his way inside to score... the youtube videos posted earlier by someone shows he often does that with the national side... whereas when pennant gets the ball he would most often run down to the flank... he probably does not have enough confidence to go for the goal... and despite his skills he often lose the ball more often than yossi...

So I rate benyaoun as high as garcia and SWP... I think he is a very good replacement for garcia and NOT for zenden IMO (ie. alot better than zenden)... as for the comparison with ronaldo... nope he's not there... unless all of a sudden he can gain kilos of muscles and become stronger... wont' compare with van persie cause there's nothing to compare...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:16 pm

maguskwt wrote:I like the look of benyaoun (the way he plays I mean not his literal look) better than garcia's. He has more natural ability and football intelligence than garcia. What he is lacking is the physical presence... if he'd gone to the gym more often when he was 18-19 and put on a few kilos of muscle he could become a world class player. What he is lacking compared to garcia is also the spectacular... the big match performances...

Interesting post.

I liked Garcia, but as expected people are already starting to gloss over his time with us. Yossi makes far less mistakes/bizarre choices than Garcia did, keeps the ball FAR better, is debatably as skillful as Garcia, has already come on and got us a crucial winner against Wigan. Has scored some fantastic goals (dont forget Reading in the cup). He could have hardly done more than he has.

Having said all that, we need to stop comparing him to Garcia if we aren't going to more objective about it. I feel like Garcia is like the dead wife and Benayoun is the new woman. Can't win.

I think many of you are forgetting the context of the original posts when the guy signed from the majority. Whilst most on here were expecting Alves, Quaresma, Mancini, and Samuel Eto'o as major summer signings, and amongst the mudd slinging of money not being available we were told by Parry that we were in for Yossi Benayoun which lit the blue touch paper.

Quite a few people are eating humble pie after posting their early opinions on Yossi. As for expected signings named above, I think quite a few of us were of the opinion that those signings were all in the minds of the playstation bunch and certainly did not justify some of the sh#te that was posted on here. The signing was made in June ffs.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:41 pm

Just to be clear, I like Benayoun and I certainly think he's good enough to be a Liverpool player.  He's starting to show what he is capable of, which is fantastic.  Like Saint, however, I'm not convinced that he'll ever be more than a useful "option"--either off the bench as a sub or when others pick up knocks, suspensions, etc.  It's basically the same feeling I have with Arbeloa: useful squad players, both, but probably not who you want starting week in, week out in a title-challenging side.

As for the comparisons, St. Mike quite rightly points out that Yossi's been done no favours.  The Garcia comparison is always going to be a tough one because, for every supporter that found him wasteful and a luxury player, there were people like me who felt he was a great contributor and a breath of fresh air in a side too often bereft of attacking ideas.  Likewise, he can't win with the comparisons to any of the world-winger-flavour-of-the-month (Quaresma, Mancini, SWP, Malouda, etc.), who the Playstation brigade (love that! :D ) insisted we sign in the summer.  He can't win because he's not as flash and not as expensive but, more importantly, he can't win because those lads have been built up into world beaters due to the grass-is-always-greener principle.  Hence my comparison to Zenden.  He's being asked to fill some of the same roles that Zenden did but he's much, much better at it, for the most part.  Trading up from Zenden to Benayoun is a smart bit of business for me and I'm happy to have him in the squad.  Long-term, though, I don't see him as a consistent first-teamer for us.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:29 pm

I'll be honest, when I heard he was coming I had very little knowledge of the player...  I saw a lot of criticism on this board about him so I expected very little.

Maybe that is why I think he has been a brilliant addition to our squad, and even our team.  For me he offers way, way ,way more than Pennant, who does a lot of work with very little finished product.  This may be due to our strikers as to be fair to Pennant, he does get a lot of balls into the box but no-one ever seems to get on the end of them.

I think Yossi is capable of scoring 15 goals a season easily (if he is played enough) and that is something our midfield (apart from Gerrard) has failed to do in recent years.

He also tackles back, changes the dirction of play and holds onto the ball well, and seems to me to be almost a perfect "rafa type" player.  Hard work , with a finished product.  I would play him more often than not, but who  am i (please don't answer that  :D )
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby stmichael » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:27 pm

I'd even argue that we don't really need wingers. We just need players that can run past other players and make space for the team. Whether that's in the centre, up front or even the full backs doesn't matter.

Look at the way Yossi and Arbeloa played against Besiktas -- Yossi would cut in, Arbeloa would run past into the space created by Benayoun's angled run, Yossi would feed him through. It's pretty much exactly how Arsenal move the ball forward with Hleb and Rosicky feeding through their fullbacks. We haven't done nearly enough of that simple stuff in the last 6 weeks in any part of the pitch. Finnan's been dwelling on the ball a lot, Riise's been :censored:, Aurelio's been injured (and might be a little too fond of the raking longball, tho he plays it very well) ... through the middle we've lacked cohesion in Xabi's absence ... it was a breath of fresh air to see some attacking understanding from the two guy on the flank.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:55 pm

:D
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby metalhead » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:59 pm

Benayoun is a very good player, and for 5m, I think Benitez got it spot on too. Whats good about him is that he is also versitile that he can play on the wings or as a second striker. He is also a very clever passer and a good dribbler. We have a good player I guess.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:12 pm

YOSSI OUT FOR THREE WEEKS
Jimmy Rice 11 November 2007
Yossi Benayoun will be out for three weeks after a scan revealed an adductor tear.
Club spokesman Ian Cotton said: "A scan has confirmed Benayoun sustained a tear against Fulham."

The news comes as a major blow to England fans, who were hoping the Israel captain could inspire his country to victory over Russia next Saturday.

If Israel lose, England would miss out on a major tournament for the first time since the 1994 World Cup.

I think he should only miss 2-3 games, I guess we are gonna play Gerrard on the right with pennant also out injured
JoeTerp

Postby LOVERPOOL » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:27 pm

stmichael:  cool picture!!! :laugh:

I'm sorry about Benayoun's injured, as Israeli... but don't worry, we can win Russia without him... (I think...  :talktothehand  )

!!!COME ON LIVERPOOL!!!
Last edited by LOVERPOOL on Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
''   
We ought to die before we let the fire out...
                                                               ''

(we probably gonna die /- :)
LOVERPOOL

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:42 pm

For all those who have said, “I’m not convinced”, why are you talking as if we have signed a 20Mil player who is supposed to transform us into title challengers? Do you really think that is what Rafa had in mind when he bought Benayoun?

We all wanted a fantastic midfielder to come in a take our attacking play to the next level, Rafa spent £11Mil on Babel for this but he hasn’t made an impact.

Benayoun was bought for £5Mil to be a very good squad player. But at the moment we are struggling with our attacking midfield players, Pennant and Leto just aren’t up to scratch, Kewell is constantly injured and Babel looks ineffective out there at the moment.

If we are going to pair Gerrard with either Alonso or Mascherano in the centre then I have absolutely no doubts that Kewell and Benayoun are best players to join them in midfield.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Espionage » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:47 pm

Gutted about his injury, really bad timing as he was really starting to hit top form.

Lets hope for a speedy recovery...
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion