Don't get too excited. he's only world class! - What we can expect from fernando

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The Ace1983 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:49 am

Since Michael Owen left for Madrid there has really only been one name on the list of possible replacements and that has been Fernando Morientes. For Spain and Real he has shone. Of course lately he hasn't been shining so bright, but in a team that includes Raul, Ronaldo and now Owen (Three of the best finishers in the world) you can't blame him for being eclipsed. I still think that he has a lot to give to the game and that he will be a worthy investment and is the perfect player to form a partnership with Baros. He brings nothing but good skill and vast ability to Anfield and this can only be good

But let's not get carried away with this signing and expect him to propell us up the table at light speed. Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't like to see him thrown in against Man Ure with only one training session under his belt and perhaps, not the understanding about how big this game is. I'd love to see him go out there and bang in a hatrick, but we must be realistic and give him at least eight weeks to get completly settled at Liverpool before we can realistically expect him to show some of the form that he did last season at Monacco.

What I'm failing to say here is that like every other signing he needs time and that we should not get swept away by the fact that he is a world class hit man with astounding accuracy and an eye for a goal. You probably all knew that, but I just wanted to get it off my chest.

Viva la Rafa-lution, viva Fernando et viva The Reds.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:02 am

I think realistlicly we all know that but its the excitement of having a player of his caliber come to us.
The bluenoses and the mancscum are banging on about we have got reals 4th choice etc, and Liverpool the home of retirement spanish, we all would love him to play tomorrow and score, but deep down we know he propbably wont and maybe brought on with 10 mins left.
But if we perform like we did against chelsea or arsenal I for one wont be dissapointed, but now our manc buster has gone Danny Murphy its gona take some magic for us to win.
They stopped chelsea on wednesday with more firepower better players than we have, a draw looks to be on the cards im afraid, but theres nothing I would give more than for us to win.
We hate Manu with avengance and vice versa, and lets be honest nothing goes our way where refs are concerned.
Only thing that may go in our favour is, they played there hearts out at stamford Bridge on wednesday night and we where absolute rubbish against Watford.
Maybe fatigue will be our saviour or the gods actually shine down on us for once, cause lets face it lady luck hasnt exactly been on our side this season has she.
I would really really love us to win but I will settle for a draw, cause shrek is gonna be fired up for this one I can tell you, maybe a good or bad thing maybe he will get sent off, from the pressure of our fans, but I doubt any of our fans are as bad as the bs or manure.
Hope a win for us but optimistic.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:07 am

At Real there's nothing wrong with being 4th choice (just look at the other three!) and we all know that bolton is where retiring spaniards really go. You never know though, he could net a cracker on his debut. I don't wanna jinx him, but what a start that would be!
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:09 am

The Ace1983 wrote:At Real there's nothing wrong with being 4th choice (just look at the other three!) and we all know that bolton is where retiring spaniards really go. You never know though, he could net a cracker on his debut. I don't wanna jinx him, but what a start that would be!

I know what your sayin mate theres nothing Id love more but I cant see Raffa starting him.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:10 am

Good post Cisse and quality comments.

I'm looking forward to welcoming Morientes to Anfield tomorrow (well today actualy now).

Your right , he is serious world class and I hope he settles in quickly and finds his form.

be assured he wil get a warm and pateint welcome and no-one is expecting him to score for fun straight away but fitness may come and go but class is permanent :)
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:39 am

I don't expect Raf to bang him straight out for ninety minutes in one of the world's biggest derbys. But a cameo would be nice and if he can net a cracker straight away, more's the better. I'm not saying that I expect a goal, but why not start as you mean to go on?
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby liamac » Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:15 am

It would be a dream if he did score , anyone remember Nigel Clough in his  first game scoring for Liverpool ?
liamac
LFC Super Member

Postby anfieldadorer » Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:27 am

At the least, we can expect him to score and create more goals than Heskey, and that's to be the lower sky.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:04 am

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:I think realistlicly we all know that but its the excitement of having a player of his caliber come to us.
The bluenoses and the mancscum are banging on about we have got reals 4th choice etc, and Liverpool the home of retirement spanish, we all would love him to play tomorrow and score, but deep down we know he propbably wont and maybe brought on with 10 mins left.
But if we perform like we did against chelsea or arsenal I for one wont be dissapointed, but now our manc buster has gone Danny Murphy its gona take some magic for us to win.
They stopped chelsea on wednesday with more firepower better players than we have, a draw looks to be on the cards im afraid, but theres nothing I would give more than for us to win.
We hate Manu with avengance and vice versa, and lets be honest nothing goes our way where refs are concerned.
Only thing that may go in our favour is, they played there hearts out at stamford Bridge on wednesday night and we where absolute rubbish against Watford.
Maybe fatigue will be our saviour or the gods actually shine down on us for once, cause lets face it lady luck hasnt exactly been on our side this season has she.
I would really really love us to win but I will settle for a draw, cause shrek is gonna be fired up for this one I can tell you, maybe a good or bad thing maybe he will get sent off, from the pressure of our fans, but I doubt any of our fans are as bad as the bs or manure.
Hope a win for us but optimistic.

good post Lyndz, a win and Rooney getting tw@tted would make my day.   :D
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:09 am

i already pasted the whole article into the shirt number thread, so here's a link to a good nando story.

a good read.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:14 am

just read that article, seems Moro likes to make a habit of scoring on debut, i have ten bucks on him to score first.  :)
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:30 am

its just got to be worth a few quid hasn't it?

:D

here's a few odds to whet the appetite...

7/4 to score against Man Utd this weekend

5/1 to score first against Man Utd this weekend

33/1 to score a hat-trick against Man Utd this weekend

7/1 to score outside the box against Man Utd this weekend

9/2 to score with header against Man Utd this weekend
Last edited by andy_g on Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion