Wingers... - Something that needs to be addressed

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:57 pm

parchpea wrote:Robben, Ribery maybe? If we can chuck 35m at Carroll then skys the limit surely. Dont think we will be messing about in the summer and will bid for the best around. As for Young I think we will defo bid and I hear that Bale is United bound so that could clear the way for us for the Villa lad.

Ashley Yong has allegedly told his close friends that he wants to leave Villa. Can see him ending up at the Mancs or Spurs if I'm honest.

No chance of Robben or Ribery. On the Carroll fee, we would never have paid that much for him if it wasn't desperate circumstances mitigated by a certain striker dumping us in the brown stuff by slapping in a transfer request with three days of the window left.

NESV may have money but they aint daft. They will only invest in players who they can definitely guarantee are long term investments and value for money. Commolli's record of scouting players whilst at Spurs was pretty hit and miss but we have to give him a chance. He did bring the likes of Berbatov and Bale to Spurs after all. Reports that he's been watching Eden Hazard are encouraging.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby parchpea » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:23 pm

I wouldnt underestimate NESV. I think we may be spending a bob or two this summer and no matter how you split it 35m on Carroll was a hell of a punt. If these boys can roll the dice in that fashion then I get the impression they will do it again and we will be in for some big deals in the window.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby cptrios » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:52 am

stmichael wrote:
parchpea wrote:Robben, Ribery maybe? If we can chuck 35m at Carroll then skys the limit surely. Dont think we will be messing about in the summer and will bid for the best around. As for Young I think we will defo bid and I hear that Bale is United bound so that could clear the way for us for the Villa lad.

Ashley Yong has allegedly told his close friends that he wants to leave Villa. Can see him ending up at the Mancs or Spurs if I'm honest.

No chance of Robben or Ribery. On the Carroll fee, we would never have paid that much for him if it wasn't desperate circumstances mitigated by a certain striker dumping us in the brown stuff by slapping in a transfer request with three days of the window left.

NESV may have money but they aint daft. They will only invest in players who they can definitely guarantee are long term investments and value for money. Commolli's record of scouting players whilst at Spurs was pretty hit and miss but we have to give him a chance. He did bring the likes of Berbatov and Bale to Spurs after all. Reports that he's been watching Eden Hazard are encouraging.

Hell, I'd love to have Eden Hazard on the team for his awesome name alone. Easily one of the coolest names in the sports world (with anglo pronunciation at least). Imagine, a few years down the road, hearing the commentator say "Goal! Raheem Sterling, with a beautiful assist from Eden Hazard!" Pure gold.

NESV even has a history here...as Red Sox owners, they have at one time or another signed both Pokey Reese and Coco Crisp.

:D
cptrios

Postby metalhead » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:52 pm

we desperately need wingers
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:55 pm

well our need for wingers was surely highlighted tonight, in order for the hoofball/Wiblepool whatever you want to call it to stop we have to buy proper wingers. Surely to fuck Kenny can see this. We haven't had a winger for years, imagine having two proper wingers left and right?! we'd be spoilt :D

I can't even begin to start naming names on who to sign just yet, without European football of any sort it might be difficult to attract anyone particularly great, though I do think established domestic players would come to us anyway like Ashley Young and Adam Johnson
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:58 pm

Why wont he play pacheco?
???
Thommo's perm

Postby Kharhaz » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:00 am

Thommo's perm wrote:Why wont he play pacheco?
???

Cos he's cr@p !
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:01 am

Kharhaz wrote:
???

Cos he's cr@p !

And your point is..?
???
Thommo's perm

Postby Kharhaz » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:05 am

Thommo's perm wrote:
Kharhaz wrote:
???

Cos he's cr@p !

And your point is..?
???

errr....good point !
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Johnny Boy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:20 am

I don't understand the reluctance to try him, would have him over Maxi any day.
We had no flair in the team at all last night, Pacheco needs to be given a chance.
Johnny Boy
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:29 pm

It's games such as last night which show you how much we miss the likes of Yossi Benayoun to open defences up.

All in all our "wide midfielders" are a joke.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby PabloMedina28 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:56 pm

stmichael wrote:

But quotes from Hazard arent unfortunately. Arda Turans the man we should get him and sanchez on either flank that would be devastating. Itd set us back about 40-45 million depending on our bargaining skills, so lets hope NESV and co can shift the deadwood to the highest bidders and put thier hands in their pockets.
PabloMedina28
LFC Super Member

Postby ethanr » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:32 pm

stmichael wrote:It's games such as last night which show you how much we miss the likes of Yossi Benayoun to open defences up.

All in all our "wide midfielders" are a joke.

A miss Benayoun. I never understood why rafa wouldn't give him more play time, I thought when he played he was fantastic.  He didn't move the ball long distances that well like Alonso, but short distance passes and even some dribbling into better spots, he was great, one of the best on the squad.

Can't Charlie Adam play winger? I thought I've heard them say he can play outside as well.  Ashley Young wants to leave and I don't think European football will affect him that much tbh.  I can't see him at spurs, it's nearly impossible to get a starting spot there, especially as a mid.  I worry that manure will go after him because I imagine he'd love to go there.  Adam Johnson would be great as well and it seems he somewhat just wants to leave, but I don't see city selling him to us.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Zidane » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:53 pm

Yossi wasn't that great, problem is his replacement is even worse than he was so we've effectively lost that side of midfield.  Don't forget Riera too, they were our prior left sided players and they were 3 times better than what we currently have right now.  Our left side is a sad sight more often than not, if Glen hadn't been out there since Konchesky left it'd be :censored: abysmal.
Zidane

Postby Raoul » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:35 am

ethanr wrote:Can't Charlie Adam play winger? I thought I've heard them say he can play outside as well.

I agree with the rest of your post, but this is the last thing we need - another central player playing out wide? Nope, give me a couple of out and out wingers please.
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion