Playing with no wingers - Discuss.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Fauxy » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:12 pm

Dont agree with playing Meireles wide at all.

He's a centre mid ffs, why should Roy be forcing him to play wide when it clearly doesnt suit him! Absolutely crazy decision by Roy I must say.

Roy needs to figure something else out because the setup we have now clearly isnt working.

Our narrow play is just predictable and Torres gets no service. We play wide then crosses come into the box and there is 1 maybe 2 players in there.

Its all a bit of a mess at the moment
Fauxy

Postby parchpea » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:16 pm

Dont know why they havent tried Johnson on the right flank and stick young Kelly at right back. Just give the lad free reign to run forward, play one twos and put the ball across. For my money hes ideal for that role and with Kelly getting experience and confidence backing it up its worth a shot.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Ciggy » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:19 pm

We miss Benayoun tbh but Roy probably wouldnt play him anyway as he was to attack minded.

Meireles should start every game with gerrard in CM I dont want to see him wasted on the right ever again.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fergieisawhiskeynosedtw@t » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:32 pm

Ciggy wrote:We miss Benayoun tbh but Roy probably wouldnt play him anyway as he was to attack minded.

Meireles should start every game with gerrard in CM I dont want to see him wasted on the right ever again.

crouchie on the left wing!  excellent   :bowdown
fergieisawhiskeynosedtw@t

Postby parchpea » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:42 pm

A lot of teams are operating a 4-3-3 where two of the 3 attackers hold a wider position to stretch the game but are also able to pose a goal threat and link the team moving forward. You can mix and match or swap during play but  an example could be:-

Reina

Johnson             Skrtl             Agger           Garragher

Gerrard           Poulsen          Merieles

Kuyt               Torres                Cole

You can get width in a team without employing natural out and out wingers which we dont have and are in short supply (especially without funds). I think this system would see our better players on the park with options on the bench to tweek it later in the match.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:43 pm

Ciggy wrote:We miss Benayoun tbh but Roy probably wouldnt play him anyway as he was to attack minded.

Gotta agree with that... we do miss Benny and probably Riera even more so...
Meireles should start down the middle and Roy should focus on getting him, Gerrard and Cole on the ball more often..

A central trio of Gerrard-Meireles-Cole would take alot of pressure off the likes of Kuyt and Jovanovic especially when it comes to possession..
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:43 pm

parchpea wrote:Dont know why they havent tried Johnson on the right flank and stick young Kelly at right back. Just give the lad free reign to run forward, play one twos and put the ball across. For my money hes ideal for that role and with Kelly getting experience and confidence backing it up its worth a shot.

Agreed. As far as Kelly is concerned if we're gonna bring players through we've gotta be prepared to at least give them a go.

Would also like to see Johnson tried out at RM, he's always imo looked better when attacking the oppos half than he has defending ours.

If all fit I'd like to see Roy try

.                              Reina

.   Kelly      Carragher            Agger       Aurelio

.   Johnson       Gerrard       Meireles        Cole

.                      Kuyt          Torres

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby ethanr » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:05 pm

Stop starting the fuc'ing waste of space Poulson and have Jova on the left.  That works way better than having a huge confused elephant running in circles.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Zidane » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:54 am

We need more footballers on the pitch in positions that suit them.  Meireles on the right side was ridiculous for one match let alone TWO.  I was fuming when I saw he was on the right, Roy trying to be too clever really.  Kuyt and Johno on the right are great together, Stevie/Raul in the middle Joe in the hole N'gog up front Jova on the left.. simple.
Zidane

Postby stmichael » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:26 am

Looking back I actually quite rated Pennant. The lads attitude was always a concern though. Despite his excellent display in Athens he was never a regular though so it was no surprise that he ended up leaving. The amount of wide players who we've brought who failed have been embarassing though. Mark Gonzalez was the next big thing. Riera started well but faded. We're at a stage now where we've essentially signed strikers and converted them into wingers. Kuyt, Jovanovic, Cisse to name but a few. It's a joke. Somebody mentioned Mcmanaman before. He wasn't a natural winger either really. His best position was in the hole but he was excellent on the wing aswell because he was such a brilliantly natural footballer.

If you're playing relatively narrow it's absolutely essential that your fullbacks get forward to provide the width. We see it at Chelsea. They have no natural width in midfield but Ashley Cole virtually plays as a left winger down that flank. Same with Evra at United. We unfortunately don't have anybody at left back anywhere near that calibre. Johnson will do that down the right but at the moment his confidence is shot to pieces.

Unfortunately the art of modern wing play is dying out full stop because the majority of top teams at the very highest level don't play 4-4-2 anyway. They use what you would regard as "wide forwards" instead. That's what I'd regard the likes of Robben as.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ihatemanyoo » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:14 am

Has anyone seen any outstanding wide players in our reserves?
If we can't buy any of the big names right now, we might as well throw a couple of kids with pace to burn to increase our options on the flanks.

On a side note, does John Henry intend to expand our scouting network to encompass North America as well? According to certain reports, one of the successful policies employed by the Red Sox is to sign relative unknowns and phase out the older players...
ihatemanyoo

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion