Wingers... - Something that needs to be addressed

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:07 pm

Kash_Mountain wrote:What i'd like to see are some wingers that can dribble pass the opposition. Maybe someone in the mould of John Barnes or Steve McManaman et al.

unfortunately players as talented as those two don't come around very often. mi wouldn't even describe mcmanaman as a winger really but he was still the best dribbler of a ball i've seen at liverpool.

what happened with the link to n'zogbia? i'd take him in a heartbeat.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JamCar05 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:21 pm

Aaahhh wingers... seems like when been crying out for them forever. As people have already mentioned we REALLY REALLY need some players that are able to beat their opponents and thus create and score goals themselves. As people have also mentioned though these are hard to come by and are often very very expensive. I agree that N'Zogbia would be an ok choice and a step forward. Not my favoured player of all wingers but we just desperately need to at least improve in these positions, and he would help us do so imo.
JamCar05

Postby stmichael » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:56 pm

Talk up here that Sunderland will bid £9m for N'Zogbia in the summer. Personally I'd love him at Liverpool. He caused us all sorts of problems this season and also has a significantly better end product than a lot of wide men you'll see like Lennon for example. He has also played fullback throughout his career so would be perfectly adaptable in the 3-5-2 system.

Of course out and out wingers can win you matches single handedly, but can be frustratingly inconsistent at the same time. Can you see us playing 4-4-2 down the road? None of the top teams play it anymore, United aside against weaker opposition.

The whole situation is so frustrating and much of it can be attributed to Parry and his unwillingness to back Rafa for the players he wanted. The likes of Silva, Simao and Alves would be at our club now if he was fully backed.
Last edited by stmichael on Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby bunglemark2 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:40 pm

I see we're linked with McGeady..... no way.....he's cack.....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby ethanr » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:49 pm

stmichael wrote:Talk up here that Sunderland will bid £9m for N'Zogbia in the summer. Personally I'd love him at Liverpool. He caused us all sorts of problems this season and also has a significantly better end product than a lot of wide men you'll see like Lennon for example. He has also played fullback throughout his career so would be perfectly adaptable in the 3-5-2 system.

Of course out and out wingers can win you matches single handedly, but can be frustratingly inconsistent at the same time. Can you see us playing 4-4-2 down the road? None of the top teams play it anymore, United aside against weaker opposition.

The whole situation is so frustrating and much of it can be attributed to Parry and his unwillingness to back Rafa for the players he wanted. The likes of Silva, Simao and Alves would be at our club now if he was fully backed.

People kept saying N'Zogbia and I was just like no no no no no! Why would you want him?

Then I watched him play against us, and against manure...

I've changed my mind  :D

Would love to see N'zogbia here, I think he could do a lot.  Obviously would love to have Sanchez but I kinda doubt that one.  Ashley Young would be a great signing in my opinion but the mancs are headed for him too.  A few spanish players would be pricey but great to have.  Juan Mata has been my favorite winger for some time now, would love to see him here but he just signed a big contract at Valencia.  Jesus Navas could be a great signing as well.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby parchpea » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:29 pm

Robben, Ribery maybe? If we can chuck 35m at Carroll then skys the limit surely. Dont think we will be messing about in the summer and will bid for the best around. As for Young I think we will defo bid and I hear that Bale is United bound so that could clear the way for us for the Villa lad.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby shabelle50 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:47 pm

Is Marveaux the right choice for the left? The shots I've seen of him suggest he comes in on the inside a lot. I thought we were past having to bring in frees from the continent. Obviously Commolli and KK know what their doing but I'm not convinced about this french player.
shabelle50

Postby stmichael » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:55 pm

shabelle50 wrote:Is Marveaux the right choice for the left? The shots I've seen of him suggest he comes in on the inside a lot. I thought we were past having to bring in frees from the continent. Obviously Commolli and KK know what their doing but I'm not convinced about this french player.

i've not seen anywhere near enough of the guy to comment if i'm honest.you're alway wary with frees in that you always wonder why his club have allowed his contract to run down if he's really any good.

that and our general record at signing players from the french league :sniffle  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby cptrios » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:40 pm

stmichael wrote:that and our general record at signing players from the french league :sniffle  :D

Please tell me you haven't forgotten about the bright and shining star that is Anthony Le Tallec!
cptrios

Postby Greavesie » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:54 pm

cptrios wrote:
stmichael wrote:that and our general record at signing players from the french league :sniffle  :D

Please tell me you haven't forgotten about the bright and shining star that is Anthony Le Tallec!

its not that bad, we just signed the wrong Cheyrou thats all  :D
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:10 am

Greavesie wrote:
cptrios wrote:

its not that bad, we just signed the wrong Cheyrou thats all  :D

dont forget the other french powerhouse we have in david ngog
:eyebrow
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:03 am

Under houllier our scouts developed a careful selection process for highlighting young talent in France. They collected EVERY name of EVERY French player aged 15-22 and put their details into this....

“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Aussie Style » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:32 am

stmichael wrote:Talk up here that Sunderland will bid £9m for N'Zogbia in the summer. Personally I'd love him at Liverpool. He caused us all sorts of problems this season and also has a significantly better end product than a lot of wide men you'll see like Lennon for example. He has also played fullback throughout his career so would be perfectly adaptable in the 3-5-2 system.

Newcastle's troubles are now tearing the club apart from the inside - after Charles N'Zogbia and Andy Carroll were involved in a training ground brawl.

N'Zogbia and Gateshead-born striker Carroll traded punches and had to be dragged apart yesterday.

French winger N'Zogbia, who is desperate to quit Toon, blew his top after a challenge by Carroll. Boss Joe Kinnear was forced to abandon his first-team practice session.

But the fight, which saw the players wrestle with each other and exchange blows, then kicked off again in the dressing room.
Aussie Style
LFC Super Member

Postby ethanr » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:22 am

Aussie Style wrote:

Newcastle's troubles are now tearing the club apart from the inside - after Charles N'Zogbia and Andy Carroll were involved in a training ground brawl.

N'Zogbia and Gateshead-born striker Carroll traded punches and had to be dragged apart yesterday.

French winger N'Zogbia, who is desperate to quit Toon, blew his top after a challenge by Carroll. Boss Joe Kinnear was forced to abandon his first-team practice session.

But the fight, which saw the players wrestle with each other and exchange blows, then kicked off again in the dressing room.

Hmm.

Carroll also got in a fight with Steven Taylor.  And I heard he's a nice guy  :D

Hopefully Carroll has grown up enough and hopefully so has N'Zogbia. Otherwise reuniting them may not be the best of ideas.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby PabloMedina28 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:46 am

parchpea wrote:Robben, Ribery maybe? If we can chuck 35m at Carroll then skys the limit surely. Dont think we will be messing about in the summer and will bid for the best around. As for Young I think we will defo bid and I hear that Bale is United bound so that could clear the way for us for the Villa lad.

We only bid 35 million for Andy Carroll coz wed just sold Torres for 50 though mate, its yet to be seen whether NESV would buy a big signing if we didnt bring in a fair bit through sales. If this was the case i couldnt see us selling all are wingers together for a combined fee of 10 million never mind 35 upwards that it would take for NESV to part with the cash.

Hopefully this wont be the case though and they wont be planning on breaking even in the summer, coz if thats what they want then with are squad well be lucky to have 15 million to spend.
PabloMedina28
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion