Too many wingers

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby matt74 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:53 pm

Thinking about the squad, we have Riise, Zenden, Kewell, Garcia (kind of winger) with Gonzales and Simao supposedly coming, i wonder if we will actually have too many wingers.

I know Rafa loves the rotation system and some of them can 'fill in' in different positions but surely 6 or so wingers is too much. should we be offloading anyone, if so who?

Don't get me wrong, i know a right winger is needed, but with this amout of wide players surely some will eventually get frustrated at not playing...
“If you are in the penalty area and don’t know what to do with the ball, put
it in the net and we’ll discuss the options later.” Bob Paisley
matt74

Postby Garymac » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:56 pm

Risse a left back, zenden out for season, garcia is best behind a striker, Simao plays for benfica and Gonzalez hasnt signed yet so that leaves a Kewell still searching for his form.

Your so right we have so many wingers some are surplus to requirements

WHAT THE FU*K?
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby welsh wizzard » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:01 pm

Well said mac couldn't have put it better!!!!!!!!!

Biggest load of crapppppppp since most of my transfer rumours
have all fallen through.But still 19 days to go alot could happen fingers crossed, for a quality right winger then i think we will all be more than happy................
welsh wizzard
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:04 pm

welsh wizzard wrote:Biggest load of crapppppppp since most of my transfer rumours

:laugh:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Garymac » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:04 pm

welsh wizzard wrote:Well said mac couldn't have put it better!!!!!!!!!

Biggest load of crapppppppp since most of my transfer rumours
have all fallen through.But still 19 days to go alot could happen fingers crossed, for a quality right winger then i think we will all be more than happy................

LMAO, at least you know it and your honest about it  :D
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby matt74 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:05 pm

riise plays as a winger as much as a lb. Gonzales looks like coming and Rafa has said he is looking for a right winger (simao?). garcia plays best behind a striker but that's not where he always plays. zenden will be around next season and kewell. that makes approx (assuming transfers happen and they stay injury free) 6-7 players who play (sometimes at least) wide midfield.
matt74

Postby DAV » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:07 pm

2 many wingers

R u sure u r watching the same team as me? ?????
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby matt74 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:30 pm

i think we certainly need new players on the wings, but when we get them there is a danger that we will have a VERY large squad. Not all of them are going to play and some will be unhappy about it. I can just see a 'dead wood' problem next year. Guess i was alone....

ps. i was only talking about numbers, not quality.
matt74

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:53 pm

matt74 wrote:Thinking about the squad, we have Riise, Zenden, Kewell, Garcia (kind of winger) with Gonzales and Simao supposedly coming, i wonder if we will actually have too many wingers.

1 minute we have too many.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:54 pm

matt74 wrote:i think we certainly need new players on the wings, but when we get them there is a danger that we will have a VERY large squad. Not all of them are going to play and some will be unhappy about it. I can just see a 'dead wood' problem next year. Guess i was alone....

The next minute we dont have enough.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:13 pm

Now now boys.. I think your being a little harsh with Matt here!

I see what you mean.. kinda!  I think Zendon could welll be shown the door.

Risse is needed as a full back, as I think most people would agree this is his best position, which leaves

Left Wing
Harry Kewell
Mark Gonazales

Right Wing
Luis Garcia
??  Simao

2 players for each position and that probably isn't too many?
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby matt74 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:14 pm

we WILL have to many, and the ones coming in will mean that not everyone will play. this could lead to a problem. that is the basic message i was trying to get across. I personally think we need wingers of top quality, when you have players of top quality playing most of the games the other players will be unhappy at not playing.

I don't think that what i am saying is completely crazy, but i guess only time will tell. this time next year we could have 3 or 4 players saying they are unhappy at not getting games.

see you all in 12 months.....
matt74

Postby tommycockles » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:28 pm

matt74 wrote:i think we certainly need new players on the wings, but when we get them there is a danger that we will have a VERY large squad. Not all of them are going to play and some will be unhappy about it. I can just see a 'dead wood' problem next year. Guess i was alone....

hey Matt- you forgot that Gerrard, Finnan and Kromkamp also sometimes play on the wing (as do Pongo and Cisse)!!

definitely surplus players- lets sell the squad!!

:D  :D  :p
tommycockles
LFC Super Member

Postby matt74 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:53 pm

It's a shame that mockery is the only outlet for some people....

while it may seem rediculous to think that with our lack of a dedicated right winger we can simultaneously have a surplus of players that can play wide, i think that if we have two arrivals for the wide positions then the rotation system may not be able to accomodate everybody and this could lead to disharmony. Ola Mr Benitez says Zenden may go. fair enough, that seems at first glance to solve the problem. My original question was whether it would be necessary to offload anyone to stop this problem arising and if so who.

So please excuse my lack of mangerial experience and inabilty to coherently convey my concerns. I will excuse the lack of thought that i believe resulted in some of the replies.

And thanks go to Ola Mr Benitez, who was sensible.
matt74

Postby red_indian » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:51 pm

perhaps the basic point is that as of yet we do not have too many wingers in the mould of what benitez would like - he wants someone who can cross effectively to make use of the height of crouch and the aerial ability (he does have it) of morientes. he also wants someone with genuine pace to beat players, start counter attacks, get to the line etc - we generally lack those kinds of wingers at the minute.

If/once we get them then Matt you may be right we could have too many but lets cross that bridge when we get to it. Also i think some of them, zenden, garcia are better suited to playing off the front and rafa is likely to keep them to retain flexibility in the system we play. If anyone becomes unhappy, well stuff 'em
red_indian

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion