Why martin o'neil is the wrong choice! - He's out of his depth at lfc.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JohnBull » Mon May 31, 2004 5:20 pm

I sometimes think that people posting on this site, think that managing  Liverpool is similar to looking after a pub  team.
It has now become politics, first,second and last. It's been like this since Mr Paisley's time and first showed ,and lead to,Shank's retirement.
Poor old Souey walked into a dream job and thought everyone would be honest and straightforward - no chance!!!
There were ,and still are, agendas for people earning a fortune on the backs of the greatest team ever seen and they will always look after them selves first.

I always look at Torbin Petchnic as Souey's ******-take at the board.
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon May 31, 2004 7:57 pm

JohnBull wrote:I sometimes think that people posting on this site, think that managing  Liverpool is similar to looking after a pub  team.

What do you mean?

Souness' biggest problem was that he tried to change things overnight at Liverpool. The Dalglish side was aging and was in need of new blood but Souness ripped it apart.

In hindsight he would have been better at slowing introducing new blood whilst holding onto the likes of McMahon (ok, he was tiring, but he had another good season left in him), Beardsley, Staunton, Haughton, Venison etc.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby jack66 » Mon May 31, 2004 8:11 pm

McMahon was 30 when he left liverpool for man city ,i think he had more than 1 season left in him.the reason he left was a clash of personalities..
jack66

Postby Red » Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:36 am

Martin O'neill can take a bunch of second rate players and perform well in Eufa cup, luckily we have plenty of these sorts of players, hope he can speak french too.
Football is a simple game, all you have to do is pass the ball to a player in a red shirt.
Red
LFC Elite Member

Postby azriahmad » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:14 am

Martin O'Neill took a bunch of so-called second rate players to Anfield and stuffed Houllier's Liverpool 2-0. One goal can be said as a fluke, but they scored 2 while we did not look even remotely attractive or penetrative, not to mention being totally unable to penetrate Celtic's goal.

O'Neill will do much better than Houllier if he were given a quarter of Houllier's transfer budget. Compared to Benitez or Maurinho, he may seem to be inferior to them but I believe he is a good coach/manager who can take us forward compared to Houllier. Houllier is only technically excellent, thus he makes a good admistrator as evident in Clairfontaine, but that's it. He sucks at man management, and worse at tactics and judgement of player potential.

If Liverpool fail to get Benitez, give O'Neill a chance.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:21 am

He certainly doesn't suck tactically.

How anyone can say that is beyond me. ???
115-1073096938

Postby anfieldadorer » Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:51 am

Why martin o'neil is the wrong choice because we got Benitez already now :laugh:
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:57 am

benitez must be coming to liverpool. why else would he resign at valencia having just won the league?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby greenred » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:34 pm

He hasnt said anything about joining us yet,though it looks more likely now.He`s a free agent now and can talk to any club in the world.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:52 pm

Stu - people say he sucked tactically because the team was ******.Biscan centre and back and henchoz full back?
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:20 pm

I reckon Martin O'Neill is holding out for Fergies job at Man Utd.  Hes biding his time.  If he wanted to be at Liverpool he'd have sent out the vibes ages ago.

Sean
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby Redlester » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:27 am

I reckon Sean has hit the nail on the head - it looks like we adre definitely getting Benitez and my gut feeling is that our loss will be Man U's gain - I think we are going to miss out big time and for many years to come - I don't see Benitez as our messiah - he may have great knowledge of La Liga - but that won't do him that much good in the premiership - a totally different league playing in a totally different way - remember some foreign players coming to the premiership need at least a season to bed down - what will that be like for a manager. My gut feeling is that O'Neill's time at Celtic was his transitional phase and that he is on the brink of something exceptional. I am afraid that our blinkered board has shot itself in the foot. I'd love to read this post again in a year's time and be proved wrong - but somehow I don't see it
Redlester

Postby jonnymac1979 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:33 am

Good point.  Man Utd are in decline though.  A group of players as talented as the class of '93 don't come around that often.  If O'Neill wants to go to the Scum, then they are welcome to him.  See how easy he has it.  I think they are rotten from the core.
jonnymac1979

Postby Supermarius » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:54 am

Im not sure..I could see an ex player like Steve Bruce Follow Fergie at United along with quiroz or Keane .same with shearer and Robson at Newcastle. I know if I was Oneill Id rather walk into the Liverpool job than the United one..Liverpool can only improve and who would want to Follow Fergie ? Rotten to the core someone said -i couldnt agree more!
Q: You're trapped in a room with a tiger, a rattlesnake, and a Manchester United Fan. You have a gun with two bullets. What should you do?

A: Shoot the United Fan. Twice.
Supermarius

Postby redandblue » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:03 pm

Rotten to the core? Fraid not chum. They are so rotten that they finished 15 points ahead of us, won the FA cup and qualified from their group in the CL. By their standards they have had a rotten year. If we were to have matched their achievements, we'd be celebrating.
redandblue
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion